1.    #1  
    I've recently outgrown the To Do built-in, and would like something with a bit more features. I would, for example, like to have a project name, and under that have nested to-dos. Ideally, different colors for different kinds of to-dos (one color for my to-dos, another color for something a subordinate has to do, another color for milestones, etc.). I currently attach a note to a particular to do, so I can track what actions I've taken so far -- I'd like to have that feature be part of the project list.

So, a more advanced to do list would be great. If there are any fairly-simple programs for managing multiple projects, that might be interesting too, although To-Dos and project notes are my main use. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    i recommend Bonsai, available from natara.com.

i have also used shadow planner but after a particularly nasty bug found i december (which made me lose a project with almost 200 tasks in it) i said to hell with it. the creator promised me a refund (i'd registered it), but he never came thru with it.

support at natara has been excellent.

mc
    I have been a ShadowPlan user for about 6 months now and have had no problems at all. The developer is very easy to work with, listens to his customers, gets their input via a Yahoo Group, and does releases quite often.

SP can be used as a To-Do replacement, but it also suports linking to the the existing ToDo and DateBook databases. I happen to use ActionNames and can put a project into Shadow, link the milestones or whatever to the Datebook and Todo, and then use AN to mark them off when completed, add contacts to action items, etc...

Overall, I think SP is probably one of the best peices of software I have purchased.
    All I really want is a program (preferably freeware) that can make hierarchical or nested lists. I looked very briefly at ShadowPlan and Bonsai and they seemed more complex than I want or need. Does anyone know of an app that can do that?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by mensachicken

i have also used shadow planner but after a particularly nasty bug found i december (which made me lose a project with almost 200 tasks in it) i said to hell with it. the creator promised me a refund (i'd registered it), but he never came thru with it.

mc
    I'm the author of Shadow Plan.. I hope you're reading this thread.

1) If someone wants a refund, they have to go to PalmGear or Handango to
    get it -- I don't take the credit cards during the order, so I cannot do the refunds. I can
    only okay them.

2) Shadow can almost certainly never lose data -- its extremely
    stable, and in the rare event of a conduit failure, 4 backups are kept (or
    more), so the data can always be gotten back.

If you're so unhappy, why didn't I hear from you? Don't leave things
    hanging -- if something is going right, don't sit on it.. get back to
    me! I'm one of the most responsive developers you'll ever meet.

(I don't watch this forum, as I already do 2+ hours a day of support email; but I'll try and watch this thread. Email me directly, at support@codejedi.com, if you need something)

Jeff
    Originally posted by mensachicken

mc
    I'm the author of Shadow Plan.. I hope you're reading this thread.

1) If someone wants a refund, they have to go to PalmGear or Handango to
    get it -- I don't take the credit cards, so I cannot do the refunds. I can only okay them.

2) Shadow can almost certainly never lose data -- its extremely
    stable, and in the rare event of a conduit failure, 4 backups are kept (or
    more), so the data can always be gotten back.

If you're so unhappy, why didn't I hear from you? Don't leave things hanging -- if somethign is going right, don't sit on it.. get back to me. I'm one of the most responsive developers you'll ever meet.

Jeff
    Progect is free, and does what you want.
    I'm looking for the same thing with Mac OS X compatibility. Ideally, something like Omnioutliner that can sync with a my Visor. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by Hawthorne
    I'm looking for the same thing with Mac OS X compatibility....
    An OSX desktop is being developed for the above mentioned Shadow. It will be able to sync with the handheld application.

It is currently in alpha/beta and is currently the main focus of the developer.

For more info and to get a feel for Shadow, download it and visit the Yahoo Group.
    I use the Datebk5 To Do list b/c can assign categories, fonts, colored fonts, and icons thru the assigned category or individually.

(I also love the calendaring part, but that's a different story.)
    For those interested in freeware:
    progect is available, but still under development. If you use it and report bugs to the developers, probably those bugs will get fixed. Get latest versions (or help write it) here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/progect/

With regard to Mac, "PDesk is a desktop companion for Progect (http://sf.net/projects/progect), written in Python/wxPython, running under linux and windows, maybe even MacOS. It is a simple project management program, that can sync with a palm under windows."
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdesk/
    Originally posted by Jupe
    All I really want is a program (preferably freeware) that can make hierarchical or nested lists. I looked very briefly at ShadowPlan and Bonsai and they seemed more complex than I want or need. Does anyone know of an app that can do that?
    you might want to check out ThoughtManager from HandsHigh Software.

It works as an outliner (for when you're trying to organize your thoughts for a term paper or whatever), or a to-do list. Outlines can be converted easily from a bulletted list to checkboxes with a tap of a button.

It's not free, but it is pretty cheap.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----