Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Since I started the thread I like to clear up a couple things:

1. I haven't been offended by any of the responses to my questions some of it has been good info.

2. No one has answered the question posed.

I'm questioning whether this is all worth it, as I'm not getting the help I was asking for so I could advise friends on what they should purchase and only created a sounding board for the issues of others.

If anyone with actual experience on only the devices in question can answer on their ROI then I'll continue. Otherwise I'll check out and not use this media anymore as a way to get some help and advice.

Thanks
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    Originally posted by mmendo1
    No, you never directly complained about having to scroll.
    Nor did I even complain indirectly. You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between clarifying someone's clear meaning for someone else who obviously doesn't get it with being their apologist.
    However, the fact that you agree with Yorick's point speaks volumes about your stance.
    The fact that you think I agree with something which you don't understand when I've given no such indication rather speaks volumes on your reading comprehension.
    Also, Yorick never refuted the claim (until now) of the poster to suggest scrolling was what the underlying problem was so it only served to reason that the poster was correct, which he is. There is no other logical reason.
    _Scrolling_ is still not the root of his complaint. Sorry that you still fail to see that.
    Now your grasping at straws here. Quit trying to make excuses for Yorick, he is a big boy now (at least physically). If that was his reason, he would have come out and said it a long time ago to refute my accusations.
    Of course, that assumes that he spends as much time at the computer as you do. Nah...admitting that would require admitting that your foolish logic that someone who advocates courtesy is a loser geek that needs to get out more is just that.
    "Others' well being"? ROTFLMAO!!!! You obviously spend way too much time on your computer.
    LOL...and you base this on?
    Again, its an internet message board. The real world is outside the door Toby.
    Newsflash: The 'real world' is where you make it. There are real people on the other sides of these screens just the same. Why treat 'real' people any differently than you would those on a screen? The only difference seems to be that the 'real' ones might be able to take task with your rudeness more readily. Oh wait, but I bet you're a burly 6'4" 280 pound linebacker who isn't scared of anything. *snicker*
    And for the record, would volunteering my time to underprivileged children (among other charitable activites I am involved with) qualify as "being concerned for others' well being?"
    Not necessarily. There are many people who contribute to such activities/charities simply looking for something for which to feel good about themselves.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    [...] When you start letting things posted on an internet message board get to you (like you are here with my supposed lack of internet etiquette), I think you need to take a step back Yorick.
    How ironic considering that you claim to be carrying on simply because he complained. Seems that he's gotten to you. Physician heal thyself, indeed.
    [...] Also, did you ever stop to think that maybe with the exception of the first posting of mine you were annoyed with, the quoting in my other posts were simply meant to annoy you and Toby?
    So sorry to have disappointed you. Better luck next time. FYI, though, you might worry more about annoying the mods. They're the 'losers' who spend time keeping up this 'insignificant' piece of internet message board.[B][QUOTE]Because that's what they were meant for...and it worked too! You guys are too easy to mess around with (more on this later)!
    I have no problem with being criticized. In all likelihood, my original post you were annoyed with didn't need the whole quotation as you pointed out. However, being a former a pre-law major and a former psych major, I felt this the perfect opportunity to flex my argumentative and psychological knowledge, especially when it was apparent how much a minor detail annoyed you. I figured a little push was all you needed, and what do you, I was right. Thanks for playing along guys, its been fun (and I apologize it came at your expense). However, if minor issues like having to scroll a little extra annoy you as much as they do, I really do think you should consider spending less time on the internet and more time intereacting with people on a face-to-face basis (that's my future professional opinion, lol).
    So, let me get this straight...you think being a failed pre-law major or a failed psychology major gives you the skill to be either an armchair lawyer or psychologist? Sounds to me more like you should have paid more attention in classes. Then maybe you could have become a pre-law graduate or psychology graduate instead of a 'former major'. Maybe I should start doing taxes professionally now since I'm a former Accounting major. lol
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Also, did you ever stop to think that maybe with the exception of the first posting of mine you were annoyed with, the quoting in my other posts were simply meant to annoy you and Toby?
    That was actually quite obvious. Though I doubt you initially tried to annoy anyone but me.
    Did it ever occur to you that by taking the higher road and simply saying something along the lines of "sorry you feel that way" this whole brouhaha could have been avoided? and you'd come off a lot less smug and pretentious? and burn would feel a lot less, well, burned?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    "Nor did I even complain indirectly. You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between clarifying someone's clear meaning for someone else who obviously doesn't get it with being their apologist. The fact that you think I agree with something which you don't understand when I've given no such indication rather speaks volumes on your reading comprehension."

Sure you complained indirectly. By agreeing with Yorick, you share his stance.

"Scrolling_ is still not the root of his complaint. Sorry that you still fail to see that."

Of course it is, he basically came out and proclaimed it is in one of his previous posts. He must not have wanted to read my unnecessary quoting otherwise he wouldn't have complained about it.

"Of course, that assumes that he spends as much time at the computer as you do. Nah...admitting that would require admitting that your foolish logic that someone who advocates courtesy is a loser geek that needs to get out more is just that."

No, he posted multiple times before my last post, with each one giving him the opportunity to refute the claim. Did he do it? Besides, as evident by both of your post counts, I think its pretty obvious how much time you two spend on the internet and thereby how little time you both spend interacting in a face-to-face fashion with the rest of the world.

"LOL...and you base this on? Newsflash: The 'real world' is where you make it. There are real people on the other sides of these screens just the same. Why treat 'real' people any differently than you would those on a screen? The only difference seems to be that the 'real' ones might be able to take task with your rudeness more readily."

Again, its an internet message board. If this is your real world (as it seemingly is), my you are worse off than I could have ever imagined.

"Oh wait, but I bet you're a burly 6'4" 280 pound linebacker who isn't scared of anything. *snicker*"

Wow!!! I can't believe you just wrote that! Spoken like a true internet geek!

"Not necessarily. There are many people who contribute to such activities/charities simply looking for something for which to feel good about themselves."

Sounds like you can relate. I'm glad to say I can't.
    Last edited by mmendo1; 04/15/2002 at 01:25 AM.
    "How ironic considering that you claim to be carrying on simply because he complained. Seems that he's gotten to you. Physician heal thyself, indeed."

My comments were meant to spur you two on. Wow did I ever!

"So sorry to have disappointed you. Better luck next time. FYI, though, you might worry more about annoying the mods. They're the 'losers' who spend time keeping up this 'insignificant' piece of internet message board"

Looking back at your posts, I say it worked pretty darn well.

"So, let me get this straight...you think being a failed pre-law major or a failed psychology major gives you the skill to be either an armchair lawyer or psychologist? Sounds to me more like you should have paid more attention in classes. Then maybe you could have become a pre-law graduate or psychology graduate instead of a 'former major'. Maybe I should start doing taxes professionally now since I'm a former Accounting major. lol"

No, I gave them up becasue after getting into the major, the topics did not interest me enough as I thought they would. I am, however, a very sucessful genetics doctoral candidate. While I may not have the law or psych degree, I certainly learned enough to push your buttons.
    "That was actually quite obvious. Though I doubt you initially tried to annoy anyone but me.
    Did it ever occur to you that by taking the higher road and simply saying something along the lines of "sorry you feel that way" this whole brouhaha could have been avoided? and you'd come off a lot less smug and pretentious? and burn would feel a lot less, well, burned?"

If it was so obvious, then you wouldn't have bothered to analyze my inappropriate use of quotations in one of your previous posts because you would have known that I was just doing it to annoy you. However, the fact that you endeavored to analyzed my inappropriate use of quotations clearly shows just how little you knew about my intentions.

I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to push a couple of your buttons when it was so obvious just how much a minor issue annoyed you.
    I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to push a couple of your buttons when it was so obvious just how much a minor issue annoyed you.
    smug. pretentious. yup.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    smug. pretentious. yup.
    Sorry but if I was so wound up in the internet that something like inappropriate use of quotations annoyed me, I would hope someone would be willing to do to me what I did to you.
    Last edited by mmendo1; 04/14/2002 at 11:34 PM.
    [...] By agreeing with Yorick, you share his stance.
    I see you only progressed far enough in your law major to learn the false questions along the lines of "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Too bad you missed the class where they pointed out that such assumptions were fallacious.
    [...] If this is your real world (as it seemingly is), my you are worse off than I could have ever imagined.
    Sorry to disappoint you again.
    Wow!!! I can't believe you just wrote that! Spoken like a true internet geek!
    "Sounds like you can relate. I'm glad to say I can't."
    Sounds like you can relate. I'm glad to say I can't.
    *shrug* I feel no need to tell anyone about whatever charity work I may or may not do. There's a jewish concept that getting recognized for such good works invalidates them.
    Sorry but if I was so wound up in the internet that something like inappropriate use of quotations annoyed me, I would hope someone would be willing to do to me what I did to you.
    Ironic considering that you seem _more_ wound up over his request than he was by your lack of 'netiquette'. Before you try to deny it, consider your comment:
    You were so affected by his comment over a 'minor issue' (which would seem to make his comment more minor considering that it was derivative) that you 'couldn't resist' a compulsion to interact with someone whom you obviously consider inferior. Funny that.
    I see you only progressed far enough in your law major to learn the false questions along the lines of "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Too bad you missed the class where they pointed out that such assumptions were fallacious.

The one lecture I didn't miss was how to get under the skin of your opponent so much that his/her arguments become incoherent.

"Sorry to disappoint you again."

No apology necessary because you have offered no disappointment. The internet clearly is your world, your previous posts (in addition to your post count) have left no doubt of that.

"Sounds like you can relate. I'm glad to say I can't."

No, my accurate assumption comes not from any supposed experience but from direct evidence provided by your multiple geek-like comments. Your inability to recognize them isn't helping your case any.

"Ironic considering that you seem _more_ wound up over his request than he was by your lack of 'netiquette'."

The only thing ironic is how much you have implicated yourself as an internet geek while trying to prove otherwise.

"You were so affected by his comment over a 'minor issue' (which would seem to make his comment more minor considering that it was derivative) that you 'couldn't resist' a compulsion to interact with someone whom you obviously consider inferior. Funny that."

Of course I was affected by his post otherwise I wouldn't have replied. However, the difference is my responses were dictated by the effects of humor of just how ridiculously funny his post was as well as one of exploration of just how much I could mess with this person. The effect of my subsequent posts on Yorick, on the other hand, was one of annoyance (at the very least), which is pretty sad when you think just how much you have to be wound up in the internet to let messages or their formatting posted on an internet message board get to you. Luckily, you jumped in and made things so much more fun for me.
    The one lecture I didn't miss was how to get under the skin of your opponent so much that his/her arguments become incoherent.
    Given your demonstrated inability to decipher the English language, you'll have to forgive me for not taking your judgements on coherency as anything more than self-reinforcing delusions.
    [...] The internet clearly is your world, your previous posts (in addition to your post count) have left no doubt of that.
    If you say so, Napoleon.
    No, my accurate assumption comes not from any supposed experience but from direct evidence provided by your multiple geek-like comments. Your inability to recognize them isn't helping your case any.
    It helps about as much as your inability to recognize your own circular logic.
    The only thing ironic is how much you have implicated yourself as an internet geek while trying to prove otherwise.
    No, you fail to realize that I'm not an 'internet geek' (and that I find it funny that you think my feelings would be hurt by something like that). "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything." - nicolai@esperi.org
    Of course I was affected by his post otherwise I wouldn't have replied.
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.
    However, the difference is my responses were dictated by the effects of humor of just how ridiculously funny his post was as well as one of exploration of just how much I could mess with this person.
    Interesting. So, you fully admit to being a malcontent.
    The effect of my subsequent posts on Yorick, on the other hand, was one of annoyance (at the very least), which is pretty sad when you think just how much you have to be wound up in the internet to let messages or their formatting posted on an internet message board get to you.
    It's really no more sad than not being able to resist a compulsion to 'push someone's buttons' when you think you're getting to them.
    Luckily, you jumped in and made things so much more fun for me.
    Glad to have brightened your day.
    "Given your demonstrated inability to decipher the English language, you'll have to forgive me for not taking your judgements on coherency as anything more than self-reinforcing delusions."

You are forgiven. We all have our flaws. Unfortunately for you, yours have been on center-stage for the duration of this entire thread.

"If you say so, Napoleon."

Maybe your best argument yet (which obviously isn't saying much).

"It helps about as much as your inability to recognize your own circular logic."

I could care less if you fail to understand my logic, which is obviously way above your head. The comic relief you have provided me makes it all worth it. I look forward to your next reply!

"No, you fail to realize that I'm not an 'internet geek' (and that I find it funny that you think my feelings would be hurt by something like that). "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything." - nicolai@esperi.org"

And again you continue to dig your internet-geek grave.

"Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery."

Agreed. However, while taking pyschological advantage of unsuspecting internet geeks is a comical one, your failure to realize just how much of one you are is not.

"...It's really no more sad than not being able to resist a compulsion to 'push someone's buttons' when you think you're getting to them."

Judging from the previous posts of Yorick and yourself, I say its pretty obvious I was successful in obtaining my desired effect.

"Glad to have brightened your day."

We all serve a purpose, even if only for another's amusement.
    I just bought the nextgen smartphone and absolutely love it ($99 at amazon, another $50 off if you're new to sprintpcs).

Using sprint as my isp is great, and the smartphone does an awesome job of keeping track of my day and nite minutes.

While it may not be the perfect form factor - it's a great introduction into a combo device, and I think it'll do me just fine for a couple of years until the rest develops a bit more.

And it's got features I never would have thought to look for in a phone - like the wireless modem as already mentioned. For a cable modem owner (and no landline) this is wonderful for that occasional fax I have to send, etc...

Anyways - my two cents - hopefully we'll get this topic back on topic...
    [...A bunch of banter that marks him as just as big a geek as he claims anyone is...]
    FYI, Martin, being an internet geek isn't my life (my wife and daughter fill that role ). It's my _job_. Supporting computer systems (even PDAs) is what I do for a living. Rest assured that anytime you see me here, I'm getting paid for it (and yes, my boss knows about it). Sorry if you can't relate. lol
    "my wife and daughter fill that role "

ouch...

"It's my _job_. Supporting computer systems (even PDAs) is what I do for a living."

Sounds like you found a position that pays you to indulge your geekness. Congrats! You should hook Yorick up (if you haven't already)! I'm sure he would be forever grateful!

"Rest assured that anytime you see me here, I'm getting paid for it (and yes, my boss knows about it)."

Its pretty obvious a good portion of your personal time is spent here as well.

"Sorry if you can't relate. lol"

I'm glad I can't.
    surprising to see that anyone still thinks of a computer professional as a "geek" ... or that you're still on this subject. Trying to deflect attention from something?
    ouch...
    Strange response.
    Its pretty obvious a good portion of your personal time is spent here as well.
    Only in your little mind. FYI...there are these things in the corporate world called 'servers'. Occasionally, they require something called 'maintenance'. This 'maintenance' must be done at times referred to as 'after hours' or 'weekends'. This leads to something called 'flex time' where I can spend time with beings referred to as 'a wife' and 'a daughter' or do things like 'yardwork' when no one's home so that I can spend more time with aforementioned 'wife' and 'daughter'. But you go ahead and believe whatever gets you through the night.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    surprising to see that anyone still thinks of a computer professional as a "geek" ... or that you're still on this subject. Trying to deflect attention from something?
    Yes, perhaps he's trying to deflect his own attention from his own lack of life by projecting it onto others to give himself a sense of superiority.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast