Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I don't care that the Treo cannot function as a wireless modem. If you must have a wireless modem, avoid the Treo. I love my Treo and so do many others.
  2.    #22  
    Funny, you ask a question and get everything except a direct answer to the question.

At $99 is the CDMA Kyocera 6035 a better buy than the GSM $399 Treo.

For those of you hyping GPRS on Voicestream do any of you actual use their GPRS phones to browse?

I have the Motorola 280 with iStream GPRS and whether its connected to my laptop, iPaq, or browsing alone, it doesn't seem all that much faster than dialing my MSN ISP using a regular GSM connection.

For those saying its faster have they actually seen proof. And in comparison to a Sprint+BlueKite connection is it really any better?

thanks for all the rest of the opinions, but I don't think the Samsung i300 or i330 is a good comparison since that's more of a PDA than a phone, like the visorphone was and at least the visorphone was free. I think the new PocketPhone PDAs will have the same problem. The new Clie VR70(camera) with a magicstick phone module would be an interesting competitor.
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    Originally posted by wshwe
    I don't care that the Treo cannot function as a wireless modem. If you must have a wireless modem, avoid the Treo. I love my Treo and so do many others.
    Relax. I'm just stating my opinion as to why I didn't purchase the 180 (mainly battery life, poor GSM coverage, and monochrome screen). If you find the Treo 180 works for you, great! No one device is going to be perfect for everyone. I must admit though, after seeing the Treo in person, it does look very impressive. If the Sprint 270 version offers improved battery life, I'll probably purchase it the moment it is released.

Marty
    Originally posted by burn
    thanks for all the rest of the opinions, but I don't think the Samsung i300 or i330 is a good comparison since that's more of a PDA than a phone, like the visorphone was and at least the visorphone was free.
    This is a common misconeption about the I300. Why do you say it is more of a PDA than a phone? I hope your reason is not because it lacks a hard keypad because that's all I can think of that separates it from the average mobile phone. The I300 is tri-mode, has a removeable battery, a secondary LCD, and voicedialing. The removeable battery, secondary LCD, voicedialing, and use as a wireless modem are all things that the Treo lacks but yet does that make it any more a PDA and less of a mobile phone (especially since many average cell phones on the market today contain several of these features)? In short, the I300 is as much a PDA as it is a phone, maybe even more so than the Treo. The Treo's comparison to the I300 is valid, both are smartphones and geared towards the same market so they should be compared.

Marty
  5.    #25  
    Okay if the i300 is a phone do you hold it like a phone on your face or do you use an ear piece. Anyone using earpiece is not really using a phone but a device with phone capabilities.
    What do earpiece people do when not on the phone walk around with a wire hanging from their ear?

After using it like a phone on your ear are there any smudge marks that have to be removed? Do you have to use your finger to press virtual keys and are there any smudge marks that have to be cleaned after that?

If you have to use a stylus or ear piece how long does it take to initiate that process prior to answering the phone and how much of a distraction is that in comparison to task of just answering the phone.

Holding a device in front of you with a stylus in your hand while talking is not the same as using a cell phone next to your ear. And if you are doing this are you paying attention to what's around you on the street or are you looking at your PDA. I don't think cell phone like devices divert your attention away from your surroundings like this.

I believe it's all about the ergonomics of the activity not the functionality of the device which is why the Treo seems more on the mark than some of its competition. With the right gear, I can use my desk computer as a phone but is it a phone or a PC?

I love the i300/330 but its really a PDA in function and form factor like the new thera pocketphones, prism+visorphone, ipaq+sleeve and new blackberrys.

The treo's cost vs current performance in comparison to similar devices like the Kyocera 6035 is what's being looked. I hope one day to be smart enough to look beyond just the hype of the technology and to it's return on investment.
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    Originally posted by burn
    Okay if the i300 is a phone do you hold it like a phone on your face or do you use an ear piece. Anyone using earpiece is not really using a phone but a device with phone capabilities.
    What do earpiece people do when not on the phone walk around with a wire hanging from their ear?

After using it like a phone on your ear are there any smudge marks that have to be removed? Do you have to use your finger to press virtual keys and are there any smudge marks that have to be cleaned after that?

If you have to use a stylus or ear piece how long does it take to initiate that process prior to answering the phone and how much of a distraction is that in comparison to task of just answering the phone.

Holding a device in front of you with a stylus in your hand while talking is not the same as using a cell phone next to your ear. And if you are doing this are you paying attention to what's around you on the street or are you looking at your PDA. I don't think cell phone like devices divert your attention away from your surroundings like this.

I believe it's all about the ergonomics of the activity not the functionality of the device which is why the Treo seems more on the mark than some of its competition. With the right gear, I can use my desk computer as a phone but is it a phone or a PC?

I love the i300/330 but its really a PDA in function and form factor like the new thera pocketphones, prism+visorphone, ipaq+sleeve and new blackberrys.

The treo's cost vs current performance in comparison to similar devices like the Kyocera 6035 is what's being looked. I hope one day to be smart enough to look beyond just the hype of the technology and to it's return on investment.
    While the I300 can be used with an earpiece, it is primarily used just like a regular mobile phone (you hold it up to your ear and talk).

I occasionally get smudge marks on the screen after talking on it but I have a screen protector and the smudges are only noticeable when the screen is off (the bright color LCD makes the smudges a non-issue when it is on). At the end of the day, I simply wipe the screen off with my t-shirt and its ready for the next day. As far as smudges from dialing with your fingers on the virtual keypad, I don't get any because when I need to make a call, I use one-handed dialing by scrolling through my address book, use the stylus to dial the number, or use the hardware and/or Sprint voicedial to initiate calls when driving or doing a task that will not permit me to look at the phone.

However, I do agree that devices such as the GSM/GPRS Blackberry and the Thera are really limiting themselves by having only an earpiece for voice communcation. I would never purchase such a device.

In summary, the I300/I330 is not a PDA first/phone second device in any manner. The only thing it lacks that normal mobile phones have is a hard keypad. It makes up for that by inlcuding many phone-centric features the Treo does not (secondary LCD, removeable battery, decent battery life, use as a wireless modem, voicedialing, etc.)

Marty
    Was it necessary to quote the WHOLE post?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Alas poor Yorick! He had to scroll, Horatio....
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Was it necessary to quote the WHOLE post?
    Was your post necessary?
    Originally posted by mmendo1
    Was your post necessary?
    That depends. If you honestly didn't realize that quoting an entire post when it wasn't necessary for context might be superfluous and will endeavor not to do it again, then yes it was necessary since it'll help ease your interactions with the group as a whole. OTOH, if you're a malcontent who doesn't care about annoying people despite reasoned pleas to the contrary, then I'd say it would be less counterproductive to the purpose at hand, but then again necessary to demonstrate that for others' information to consider for future interactions.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    That depends. If you honestly didn't realize that quoting an entire post when it wasn't necessary for context might be superfluous and will endeavor not to do it again, then yes it was necessary since it'll help ease your interactions with the group as a whole. OTOH, if you're a malcontent who doesn't care about annoying people despite reasoned pleas to the contrary, then I'd say it would be less counterproductive to the purpose at hand, but then again necessary to demonstrate that for others' information to consider for future interactions.
    I'm sorry if you or anyone else had to expend a whole extra ATP molecule to use your finger to move the scroll wheel a little more. Its a message board, get over it...
    I'm sorry if you or anyone else had to expend a whole extra ATP molecule to use your finger to move the scroll wheel a little more. Its a message board, get over it...
    Ahh...malcontent it is. Thanks, Yorick.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Ahh...malcontent it is. Thanks, Yorick.
    doesn't take much to ferret 'em out, do it.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    doesn't take much to ferret 'em out, do it.
    ...no more than it does to bring out the geeks who become annoyed with having to do a little more excercise than they're use to
    Glad to see that the point still hasn't punctured you.
    Glad to see that the point still hasn't punctured you.
    So am I because the moment it does, I become as pathetic as you guys. If I ever start complaining about having to scroll down a webpage to read what is on it, I hope someone has the decency to end my life right then and there because when I start caring about issues like that, my life will be so pathetic that I won't deserve it anymore.
    Since you seem to have some trouble with reading comprehension, I never complained about having to scroll (in fact, neither did Yorick). Did you ever consider that he might have been making that statement since some people may be reading this on a Treo at 9600 bps (it _is_ a Treo group after all)? Nah...you obviously don't seem to understand the concept of being concerned about others' well being.
    ...no more than it does to bring out the geeks who become annoyed with having to do a little more exercise than they're use to
    What exercise? I'm sitting in front of a monitor and typing. No exercise involved. And I use the keyboard to scroll, not some pansy-*** scrolling mouse.

I'm annoyed because you are not adhering to generally accepted Internet etiquette. Quoting the entirity of the post prior to yours is wasteful, pointless, and useless. Just like Toby said several posts ago. Every post of yours in this thread, with two exceptions, follows this model. The two that do not match the model quote posts that were a few statements prior to yours, in which case it is useful to quote; and one only quoted the appropriate passage which again is useful. Quoting the entirety of a long post and then commenting on only a portion is rude.

It would seem to me that you just don't like being criticised.
    Since you seem to have some trouble with reading comprehension, I never complained about having to scroll (in fact, neither did Yorick).
    No, you never directly complained about having to scroll. However, the fact that you agree with Yorick's point speaks volumes about your stance. Also, Yorick never refuted the claim (until now) of the poster to suggest scrolling was what the underlying problem was so it only served to reason that the poster was correct, which he is. There is no other logical reason.

"Did you ever consider that he might have been making that statement since some people may be reading this on a Treo at 9600 bps (it _is_ a Treo group after all)? Nah...you obviously don't seem to understand the concept of being concerned about others' well being."

Now your grasping at straws here. Quit trying to make excuses for Yorick, he is a big boy now (at least physically). If that was his reason, he would have come out and said it a long time ago to refute my accusations.

"Others' well being"? ROTFLMAO!!!! You obviously spend way too much time on your computer. Again, its an internet message board. The real world is outside the door Toby. And for the record, would volunteering my time to underprivileged children (among other charitable activites I am involved with) qualify as "being concerned for others' well being?"
    What exercise? I'm sitting in front of a monitor and typing. No exercise involved. And I use the keyboard to scroll, not some pansy-*** scrolling mouse.
    Wow, you really are more of a geek than I could have ever imagined!

"I'm annoyed because you are not adhering to generally accepted Internet etiquette. Quoting the entirity of the post prior to yours is wasteful, pointless, and useless. "

So in other words you don't want to scroll through the extra text to read the messages. Thanks for confirming just how opposed you are to moving your little fingers anymore than they have to (which for you would be exercise).

"Just like Toby said several posts ago. Every post of yours in this thread, with two exceptions, follows this model. The two that do not match the model quote posts that were a few statements prior to yours, in which case it is useful to quote; and one only quoted the appropriate passage which again is useful. Quoting the entirety of a long post and then commenting on only a portion is rude."

When you start letting things posted on an internet message board get to you (like you are here with my supposed lack of internet etiquette), I think you need to take a step back Yorick. If you are placing this much emphasis on minor details relating to an internet message board, you are obviously not spending enough time relating to people outside the internet. Like I told Toby, the real world is outside your door.

Also, did you ever stop to think that maybe with the exception of the first posting of mine you were annoyed with, the quoting in my other posts were simply meant to annoy you and Toby? Because that's what they were meant for...and it worked too! You guys are too easy to mess around with (more on this later)!

"It would seem to me that you just don't like being criticised."

I have no problem with being criticized. In all likelihood, my original post you were annoyed with didn't need the whole quotation as you pointed out. However, being a former a pre-law major and a former psych major, I felt this the perfect opportunity to flex my argumentative and psychological knowledge, especially when it was apparent how much a minor detail annoyed you. I figured a little push was all you needed, and what do you, I was right. Thanks for playing along guys, its been fun (and I apologize it came at your expense). However, if minor issues like having to scroll a little extra annoy you as much as they do, I really do think you should consider spending less time on the internet and more time intereacting with people on a face-to-face basis (that's my future professional opinion, lol).

Marty
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast