1.    #1  
    Sort of...

This afternoon I deleted DateBK4 and decided to just rely on AN for the next month. After playing with them for a week, I realized that the biggest proble with DB4 (for me) is that it leaves me with the Visor's native Address list. It's not nessecarily bad, but AN let's me sort out the names according to company, etc. There doesn't appear to be any filtering in the Address book, it's just a plain ol' flat file database.

Not that there's anything *wrong* with that... <g>

But I think that I'm more likely to need some kind of way to massage my contact data moreso than I'd need the ability to configure some of the more extreme features in DB4. For instance, I just scheduled items that meet on the first and third Wednesdays of the month. In AN I ended up scheduling every first Wed, then duplicating that and dragging it to the third Wed. I'm not sure how to handle this in DB, but I saw an option for irregular scheduling that might have allowed one to do that.

OTOH, once it's scheduled, I'm done. Not too many things have an odd regular meeting date, so my big concern should now be keepign up with the ToDo's and managing my contacts.

I'll try it for a month, and then if I'm not crazy about it, I'll go back to DB and try that.
  2.    #2  
    Sorry, I meant to post this as a follow up to the "Action Names vs DateBK4" thread.

It's that darn old age thing again...
    Sounds like a good way to handle it; if AN isn't getting in your way in a month, then it's a good choice.

Is it the best choice for you? Maybe, maybe not -- but it sounds like it is a very good choice, and that's the important thing.

The baseball season is starting; there are better things to do than compare PIM programs in depth. (I hear you all gasp in amazement. )
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by taccuosti

After playing with them for a week, I realized that the biggest proble with DB4 (for me) is that it leaves me with the Visor's native Address list. It's not nessecarily bad, but AN let's me sort out the names according to company, etc.
    Granted, I don't know how you're using AN & DB4, but you can always search (that little magnifying glass thingy on the lower right hand corner of the screen) for the company name. That will "filter" the contents of the standard address book.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    I found that I really didn't like AN for a datebook, but I like the contact management. What I ended up doing is using DB4 for dates and Supernames for Contacts. You Might want to look into this also.
    Brian
  6.    #6  
    Supernames? I'll check it out.

I had thought about keeping AN & DB both, that that seemed like overkill. The whole point of buying this was to make things easier and simpler for myself.

I know that you could search with the Find tool, BTW, but AN has those cool little tabs at the top of the screen. And sometimes I want to check how many people ar eworking at the same company, and the Group By seems easier. I will say, though, that I have a lot of contacts and the grouping process is slow, and I think that it might grow to be somewhat irritating.

I guess I could try using the Datebook+ with the Visor/Palm address app just to get a rough idea of how it might be to use DB4.

One other thought - I have a few apps that can come up when you fire it up with the poser button. I've tried Whatzup, A5, and now Today. These will show an appointment/todo view, and you can tap each view to bring you to the appropriate app. Only Today brings you to the AN app (in Agenda or Week view) - the others opened up the default Address or ToDo app, no mater how the buttons were set in the preferences. This means that I'd have to close that app and reopen AN. Not sure if it works with DB4. Of course, DB4 opens with a nice agenda view, so it might not be necessary, either.
    i've found DB4 and Popup Names to be a great combination.
    toby sterrett
    loudpocket.com