1.    #1  
    I just setup a voicestream email mailbox for my Treo(non-istream). The WirelessInBox service downloads a desktop client to your local PC which in turn syncs your corporate email to the Treo similar to Treo Mail. You can set up alert parameters on the VS website to send a pingpong(SMS) message to your phone for mail that matches the criteria and retrieve it from the VS WirelessInBox website on the Treo or any other web-enabled VS phone.

I ran some tests and received SMS alerts on incoming emails matching the criteria within a minute after receiving the email on my work computer.

The only "bad" thing about these services is that your work computer must be logged on to your local network to allow the desktop client to forward your mail to the outside service. Seems like all of these solutions(Treo Mail, Basejet, Gophermail) operate the same way.

For VS Treo users this may be another option especially since it's not a beta and may not cost anymore than your current service.
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    How did you obtain the software?
    Pretty much every one of the mail solutions either relies upon a desktop forwarding agent or uses a server based forwarder. There are definitely some disadvantages to desktop forwarding such as server reboots, power ourtages, power use, physical security and the fact that you dont have you PC but then there are advantages like - you dont have to carry your PC around, no intervention from IT to add a server based product to do the same - less $$ and resources.

All of the carrier based solutions so far do not let you know when your email arrives but rely upon HTML clients where you have to go to find your email just like a traditional email dial-up client. I presume this will improve once GPRS and 1xRTT arrive for real.

Even the RIM solution relies on either IT installed server based forwarding (which requires a corporate commitment to the whole solution) or desktop relaying where the PC has to be left on. In the long term the server based solution is the best. Perhaps some ASPs will set up in the future as middleware mail forwarding hosts for small companies who do not want the expense and maintenance of server based forwarders.
  4.    #4  
    I'll have to concur on the unpredictable and poor performance of voicestream's SMS alerts.

If an email is sent directly to my treo I'll get it within a minute or two. The automated alerting either through Voicestream's email alerts or having outlook forward a copy of incoming messages is not very dependable taking from hours to never. Even Yahoo mail alerts don't work very dependably. The key would be to get outlook exchange to force a copy of the recieved message to my treo. Kind of like a distribution address which I guess my security administrator would have to do.

Forwarding and alerts works great under GPRS using my Motorola 280 as the receiving device but the Treo just doesn't cut it as a non-GPRS device.

I wish there was a treo solution like my old Synapse Pagemart chip I used in my palmpilot professional(it wasn't 2 way though).
    The Old PilotMail service was great!
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    If your corporate mail system is a Exchange Server, you can ask your administrator to define a forwarding email address in the server, so forwarding rules are set on server level, not on desktop level. It works fine for me!!
    So far I've tried using Treo Mail, but that hangs when you try and configure it to use a Proxy (desktop app tops out at 100% cpu!). Also tried using Basejet, but wasn't able to successfully configure it through the proxy. I'm currently using Aileron which seems to work fine, except that it doesn't like to reply to e-mails from exchange, it tries to use the LDAP address which then bounces.

What I was wondering, was how you managed to get the software itslef. Is there a way to obtain it, as I would like to test it out.
    Originally posted by Doobie
    If your corporate mail system is a Exchange Server, you can ask your administrator to define a forwarding email address in the server, so forwarding rules are set on server level, not on desktop level. It works fine for me!!
    You actually shouldn't even need an admin to help with this. Just use Outlook's Rules Wizard to setup a Redirect rule. This will send a copy of the message to your mobile. Rules are stored on the server so the local PC doesn't need to be on.