Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

Handspring rep came to my PUG meeting last night (SeaPUG). As well as telling us all about Treo Mail and the Treo 180's, he had an actual Treo 270 to show around! Here's the stuff I CAN tell you:

1) yes, the screen is viewable in all lighting conditions.
    2) it appears to be backlit, like maybe it's a transflective screen, but he couldn't tell us actual specifications, probably because they're subject to change.
    3) it has two light settings. One for when it's dark and the screen doesn't need to be bright, and one for when it's light and you need a brighter screen. It was dark outside, so we could not test it in sunlight. I'd imagine that the low light setting would be sufficient, but I have no idea for sure.

Yes, there was more coolness about it. Unfortunately I can't talk about them, probably because the features haven't been announced, and are likely subject to change.

What I CAN say is that if you EVER get a chance to see a 270 in PERSON, you owe it to yourself to do so! I MEAN IT!!

Would I trade in my 180 for a 270? In a heartbeat. Will I? Probably not, as I couldn't possibly afford to. Should you wait for it instead of getting a 180? If you can't afford both, and don't already have a phone and a PDA, then no, get the 180, you won't be sorry. If you can afford both, or already have a phone and PDA and think you can wait for the color, then yes, you should probably wait.

ALL IMNSHO, of course!
    -Greg
    did they make you sign a NDA?
  3.    #3  
    No, but I am under NDA for other Palm-related things, and I know the rep from previous meetings and things. I'm also the PUG leader. I asked him if it's ok for me to report the other thing(s) and he asked that I didn't. That's enough for me.
    As long as you keep the hopes realistic, you can probably figure out what feature it is that I can't mention. Problem is, I won't be able to acknowledge it. :\
    Anyway, I'm sure someone out there somewhere will have less honor than me, and leak a more complete feature list at some point. It's just a matter of time. Believe me, I hate keeping secrets, but when someone asks me to, whether I sign a paper specifically for it or not, I keep them.
    But that's just me. ;-)
    More importantly, (and off-topic), did he explain why the TreoMail doesn't ever send SMS email notifications like it says it does?

Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    did they make you sign a NDA?
  5.    #5  
    No, as I didn't know that the SMS thing with Treo Mail wasn't working for some people. Since you'r obviously beta-testing it, have you sent in that bug report to the appropriate people? You can't expect a rep to be able to fix a bug in a beta version of an app. ;-)
    Oh, sorry.. I wasn't trying to get you to leak.. I know that spilling the beans would hurt your PUG, and that would be bad.

hmm... realistic, huh... that may be tough

Originally posted by GregGaub
    No, but I am under NDA for other Palm-related things, and I know the rep from previous meetings and things. I'm also the PUG leader. I asked him if it's ok for me to report the other thing(s) and he asked that I didn't. That's enough for me.
    As long as you keep the hopes realistic, you can probably figure out what feature it is that I can't mention. Problem is, I won't be able to acknowledge it. :\
    Anyway, I'm sure someone out there somewhere will have less honor than me, and leak a more complete feature list at some point. It's just a matter of time. Believe me, I hate keeping secrets, but when someone asks me to, whether I sign a paper specifically for it or not, I keep them.
    But that's just me. ;-)
    Yeah, I was just teasing.

I've sent in like 3 or 4 treo mail bug reports for different issues already. they really weren't kidding when they called it a beta rather than a free trial... based on the quality i've experienced, their support lines would be ringing off the hook right now if they were charging money for the service right now.

As for 270 "features" the only things I can think of that aren't ALREADY promised us (like GPRS) would be a removable battery (doesn't seem likely) or at least substantially-increased battery life, an ability to use the treo as a modem for a laptop via IR, a higher-res screen (this seems to have already been pre-emptively denied by other articles, however).

Personally, I want better Mac OS X support for the treo (starting with palm getting its retrograde ported version of palm desktop out of beta) -- none of the treo installers so far (the setup installer, the treo mail installer) are OS X-native, meaning I had to reboot to OS 9 each time to run them. OS X has been out for a year and change now. unacceptable on both palm AND handspring's part.

ok now i'm REALLY off-topic. apologies.

No, as I didn't know that the SMS thing with Treo Mail wasn't working for some people. Since you'r obviously beta-testing it, have you sent in that bug report to the appropriate people? You can't expect a rep to be able to fix a bug in a beta version of an app. ;-)
    oh, one other possible feature, i suppose, would be a rev to the OS to Palm OS 4.x

that'd be nice too.
  9.    #9  
    while I can't confirm or deny any of your wishes, I can say that the feature that struck me the most, which I'm not allowed to mention, has not yet been mentioned in this thread. ;-)
    while I can't confirm or deny any of your wishes, I can say that the feature that struck me the most, which I'm not allowed to mention, has not yet been mentioned in this thread. ;-)
    OK, I'll wager a guess and say that it's the backlit keyboard.
    Originally posted by karlfranz

*gasp* *gasp* ...you took the words out of my mouth!
    sounds possible. however, one would think that the keyboard thing would be WAY more of an issue for the b&w treos, because there's gonna be illumination off of the color screen backlight that will more than likely be sufficient to reflect light onto the keyboard itself. i know my prism was bright enough to serve as a sort of makeshift flashlight on occasion, at least.

however, that WOULD be a nice addition. more cruel punishment for us early adopter types, of course.

Originally posted by dietrichbohn

*gasp* *gasp* ...you took the words out of my mouth!
  13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by karlfranz
    That's exactly what I was going to guess. A pretty obvious enhancement that should have been in the original Treo 180s. Note the silence of Greg.
  14.    #14  
    I cannot confirm or deny any of the speculations mentioned above.
    Will the 270 have a mute feature built in?

Lou
    Greg,

What is the url for the PUG here in Seattle since I live here Or is that NDA too

-henry
  17.    #17  
    didja maybe try seapug.com? ;-)

For future reference, if anyone mentions a PUG you want to learn more about, but forgets to plug the URL, your best best is to his www.interpug.com. They host numerous PUGs and list as many as they know about.

Sorry you missed last night's meeting. Hopefully see you next month... that reminds me, I need to update the meetings page...
    I'm a very inactive member of SEAPUG - meaning, I get the emails but don't go to the meetings. But now I'm kicking myself for not making the most recent one in light of Greg's report.

Thanks for the update.
    Kewl! I can make it a WSI and PUG night!

Naw, I am not that scary in real life

-henry
    Hey,

Handspring rep came to my PUG meeting last night (SeaPUG).

Greg
    Dang, I'm sorry I missed that. If it hadn't been for a fever of 102.9, I woulda been there!

Hey, Greg. Art here.

*grumble* *grumble* *cough* *cough* *grumble*

<C>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast