Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Dude! Take some Tylenol
    I can't believe you let a little fever keep you from the meeting. It's not like we wouldn't have told you to go home and rest anyway. ;-)
    Well, don't get sick in July, becuase we're making plans to have Brian come back then.

-Greg
    Greg since you cant tell us what the color Treo will have. can you at least scracth what it wont have? Will it have memory slot?
  3.    #23  
    The pre-production model I bore witness to did not include a memory expansion slot or anything else like that that's also lacking from the 180. Essentially, it's the 180 in color, with a couple other little additions.

That said, Brian (the HS guy) was fielding questions for a few minutes, and one of the first was whether there'd be a communicator with expansion. While he didn't (couldn't) comment on the exact nature of unannounced products, he did stress the fact that the two (3) devices we know about right now are not the end-all, be-all of Handspring's new directions. There will certainly be new communicators at some point, with different feature sets.

Personally, I think at some point there will be a device with at least an SD slot. Those are the smallest expansion yet, and with a little more compaction of the device I'm sure one can be added without a problematic increase in device size. Still, I bet a lot of people would rather have a Treo that's .2 inches thicker with an SD slot and a longer battery life. I know I would.
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    Dude! Take some Tylenol
    I can't believe you let a little fever keep you from the meeting. It's not like we wouldn't have told you to go home and rest anyway. ;-)
    Well, don't get sick in July, becuase we're making plans to have Brian come back then.

-Greg
    Yup. Took Tylenol.

However, I doubt anyone could have heard Brian talking over the sound of my teeth chattering from the chills!

July. Got it. Don't be sick in July. Since that's after school is out, chances are good I'll be healthy!

Cool.

<C>
    Although this is minor, maybe one of the additions is a built in belt clip similar to the Star-Tac. From what I've read, this is very much needed.
    Will the Treo 270 be the same size as the Treo 180?
  7.    #27  
    The 270 I saw was exactly the same size as the 180. The only outward difference is the paint job, which was a nice graphite color, kind of like the Flip logo on the 180 but slightly darker.
    The 270 I saw also did not have a belt clip of any kind.
    -Greg
    Did Brian confirm that there will be a Graffiti version of the 270?
    Last edited by Tweak; 03/26/2002 at 12:56 PM.
  9.    #29  
    He didn't specifically say anything about there being a graffiti 260 or not, but he did say that even though initial interest in the Treo 180 versus the 180g was about 50/50, the actual sales were considerably higher for the 180. I forget the term he used, but landslide comes to mind. I think it's unlikely that there will be a graffiti version of the 270 at all, let alone at launch time... but that's just my feeling, nothing official.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    The feature I'd like to see most in the Treo 270 would be the strongARM/OS5 combo. It is being rleased in the right timeframe...

Care to confirm or deny, anyone?
    Originally posted by jakemonO
    The feature I'd like to see most in the Treo 270 would be the strongARM/OS5 combo. It is being rleased in the right timeframe...

Care to confirm or deny, anyone?
    What would be the purpose of this on a Treo without an expansion slot? this would increase the price significantly. Perhaps we will see something like this next year.
  12.    #32  
    FYI: most of today's mobile phones already use ARM processors.

Also, It has been stated that ARM processors should not have a drastic effect on device prices. In fact, because of the scalability of ARM, there could easily be a low-end ARM device with a relatively slow processor, while the high-end devices would have faster processors.

The Lack of an expansion slot has nothing to do with the usefulness of an ARM processor. With an ARM processor you could have voice dialing. If that's not enough of an incentive, there could also easily be MP3 playback, voice recording, and other multimedia gimmicks. While those would be nice, it's the voice dialing that will push the Treo's usability over the top of other phones.

I wouldn't expect to see an ARM powered Treo until next year, but I'm convinced it will happen.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Anyone know if the 270 might have bluetooth built in? It'll make it a lot more convenient to connect to for syncing and using a laptop with its gprs or 1xrtt connection.
  14.    #34  
    Originally posted by ijablokov
    Anyone know if the 270 might have bluetooth built in? It'll make it a lot more convenient to connect to for syncing and using a laptop with its gprs or 1xrtt connection.
    Know if it might? No. No one but the Treo team at Handspring knows. But, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the 270 will NOT have bluetooth built in. And, since it has no expansion options (other than the sync connector) I doubt it will be able to be added either.

I'm betting that the first device with built-in bluetooth with come from either Palm (most likely) or Sony.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    cdma would be ducky
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    qualcomm did invest money in them and sprint pcs paid to be the exclusive provider of the first cdma treos.
    Originally posted by ijablokov
    qualcomm did invest money in them and sprint pcs paid to be the exclusive provider of the first cdma treos.
    Exactly, which makes its release a little more 'realistic.'
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12