1.    #1  
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-863027.html

According to that link, HS and Sprint are set to announce a partnership on Tuesday to develop a CDMA Treo (likely the 270) to run on Sprint's upcoming 3G network. Suppose to be available around mid-year. If HS can improve the battery life on the 270, this would be a killer product for the US market, IMO.

With this product, the mmO2's XDA on VS's GPRS network, and the Samsung I330 on Sprint's network, I'm actually going to have to sit down and figure out which product I want to upgrade to!

Marty
    So I decide that the wife should get my OLD 180 and that I should go with a color 270 with 3G...

and I thought she would be excited??!

Hmm,

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Well now I have more reasons to wait. First I was going to get the Treo 270 and stick with VoiceStream, even though I don't get coverage in all areas I travel to in Michigan.

But now I have to consider the Sprint version of the color Treo. I see several advantages:
    • better coverage in the US
    • better support, considering that Sprint is going to co-brand the phone. I hear calling VoiceStream and saying you have a Treo doesn't help you much. Plus they seem to be pushing with Pocket PC phone.
    • faster speeds on the new 3G network comapred to GSM (144 kpbs v. 28 kpbs)
    • potential price support from Sprint to push this phone to make a big deal of their new network

So now I have to wait for the new Treo and I have to wait for my current contract with VoiceStream to expire!

Are their any advantages to staying with GSM/VoiceStream other than using the phone in Europe, which is unlikely for me?

What phone standard do they use in Canada? A standard that worked in the US and Canada would be more helpful to me.

By the way, my wife says I have to pick one or the other -- no buying the 180 and trading up in a few months!
    What phone standard do they use in Canada? A standard that worked in the US and Canada would be more helpful to me.
    I have used my US ATT phone in a variety of places in Canada with no problems. CDMA and GSM networks are both present in Canada but vary by area.
    I'm probably going to have to return my Treo because VS service in my area stinks. I really don't want to give it up, but it might not be so bad if I can get a color Treo with Sprint in a few months. Who knows, maybe they might have a subsidized plan to reduce the price of the phone.

However, I'm confused about this 3G stuff. Will the new Treo phone work with the existing Sprint PCS network or am I going to have spotty coverage until they start upgrading their system to 3G?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Wow.. Mid summer.. I hope they don't fail and and push it to fall or winter.. My Prism is so used and abused it really needs to be replaced soon!.

OrionNE
    I was the proud owner of a Palm V for about a year and a half; and I loved it! Never had any problems with it. Paid $400 in 100 dollar bills for it in Hawai'i when I was living there.

Then it was stolen.

I have lived without it for about two years now, and I still miss the ways it used to make my life easier and less confusing. I've also been wanting a cell phone. Not a necessity, but would be a nice thing to have for convenience. I have been following the Treo for some time now, and so believe I want one from all that I have been hearing.

But my only question lies in the GSM vs. G3/sprint/cdma network thingy issue. I am a college student in Lexington, KY and we do have GSM coverage here (albeit with VoiceStream). But I am of course more familiar with Spring/Cingular type networks and their usage over the ubiquitous Nokia phones you see everywhere.

Now, being that I am a college student, and only occasionally leave the nation (once or twice a year, only for what amounts to a week at a time usually), would you (you being those ever-wiser than I) reccomend I get a Treo 180 now, or wait until the other version comes out? My in-country travel is much more diverse, including many rural and non-so-rural areas. Also bearing in mind that when it comes out in the summer, even more bugs/etc. will have been worked out I'm sure.

I'm dying to have one, and my $$$ is burning a hole in my bank account! But I don't wanna screw myself over by not waiting or considering all my options.

Thanks.
    THOR

/do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup/
    (http://www.centenaryouth.org)
    Originally posted by pd_THOR

I have lived without it for about two years now, and I still miss the ways it used to make my life easier and less confusing. I've also been wanting a cell phone. Not a necessity, but would be a nice thing to have for convenience.

But my only question lies in the GSM vs. G3/sprint/cdma network thingy issue. I am a college student in Lexington, KY and we do have GSM coverage here (albeit with VoiceStream). But I am of course more familiar with Spring/Cingular type networks and their usage over the ubiquitous Nokia phones you see everywhere.

Now, being that I am a college student, and only occasionally leave the nation (once or twice a year, only for what amounts to a week at a time usually),

My in-country travel is much more diverse, including many rural and non-so-rural areas.

I'm dying to have one, and my $$$ is burning a hole in my bank account! But I don't wanna screw myself over by not waiting or considering all my options.

Thanks.
    Ok, I have tried to cut out the less important pieces...

Given the whole in your pocket, I would sill say wait until
    until the CDMA version comes out. Here is why:

1. It will likely be color (kewl factor for your $$$).
    2. If 99% of your travels are in the US, your better
    buying a cheap used GSM phone from ebay and
    buy pre-paid GSM service when abroad.
    3. For rual travel, Sprint is probably your best bet
    since you can analog roam. I live in the Northwest
    and trips to Idaho and Montanna mean analog in many
    places.
    4. But, to be fair, it is not clear if the Treo offering from Sprint
    will be be dual-band (that is, both CDMA and Analog).
    5. I am not saying don't get GSM, I am just saying wait
    until you can weigh your options in person like

But, overall, if you want kewl and usefulness, wait until the
    Sprint version comes out then decided...

BTW, I assume by Spring you meant Sprint.

Also note that Cingular is converting from TDMA (which is what
    AT&T uses) to GSM. In some areas, such as the west coast,
    Cingular is already GSM and won't work in Cingular TDMA areas.
    Originally posted by hmp32

4. But, to be fair, it is not clear if the Treo offering from Sprint
    will be be dual-band (that is, both CDMA and Analog).
    Iwas just looking at Sprint's site and they offer a lot of single band phones . Another item appears to be a lack of coverage in CA. I thought I heard that Sprint has big coverage? Is it mostly East coast?

Too bad... I thought the whole thing sounded pretty good for a while there.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    AMPS-800

Sprint has coverage in San Francisco, San Jose and LA, both areas worked for me on Digital And all of I-5....

However, most of Hwy 101 down the coast I was in analog.

-henry
  11.    #11  
    Ya, whether this Treo will be dual or single-mode remains to be seen. If you roam in a lot of rural (analog) areas, even if the CDMA Treo does turn out to be dual-mode I'm not so sure you would want to use it in analog mode. I forget the exact charge, but roaming on analog with Sprint can get very costly, very quickly. And if the CDMA Treo has the same battery life as the 180, using it in analog mode would drain the battery awfully quickly leaving you with a nice paperweight.

Basically, I think you should wait until this summer when you will have a lot more choices. The Samsung I330 might be out by then, VS will have MS PPC XDAs, Verizon and Sprint will have Theras available, the CDMA Treo will be out as well as its 270 GSM counterpart, GPRS and 3G will be gaining momentum, etc. In short, give yourself all the options you can. I think you'll be glad you waited.

Marty
    As noted above, Sprint has very good coverage in metro areas and on most of the interstate freeway system throughout the US. They don't cover rural areas very well, and I'm pretty sure they lease analong coverage in those areas from other carriers because its $.65/minute or so just for roaming when you are out of the Sprint network.
    Originally posted by mmendo1

The Samsung I330 might be out by then,

Marty
    As for analog, it ain't cheap... no doubts.... but hey, I have need to make a call (and I Have), I want a phone that will work!

If I just need to chat, then it will wait until I am at a cheaper
    place to call when I am on the road

But, for the I330, please check out this article:

www.cnet.com/wireless/0-1923401-8-9392285-1.html

the last paragraph sugests the I330 won't be out until the end of the year.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by hmp32
    But, for the I330, please check out this article:

www.cnet.com/wireless/0-1923401-8-9392285-1.html

the last paragraph sugests the I330 won't be out until the end of the year.
    Ya, read that article a day or two ago. There are so many conflicting reports concerning the release date of the I330, I figured I'd say that the I330 "might" be out by the summer. A week ago, it was due out in April. Previously, it was due sometime this summer. A few days ago, September was the target. Hopefully, Samsung will see all the other cool new smartphones that are going to debut this summer and will decide not be too late to the party. The more choices (competition), the better! I guess we'll see about the release date of the I330 in due time...

Marty