1.    #1  
    With the release of Vindigo 2.0, it's now $24.95.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Yeah, but you get a new interface.....

I'll probably get it. It's a service I have used to the fullest many weekends in the boroughs. Haven't looked into the terms, though. A one-time fee would be nice but unlikely. Seems a sweet spot would have been ~ $15
    *sigh* I'm getting it now, if only for the maps. But 25 bucks a year doesn't feel good.
    After looking at it for awhile, I like the new info. The maps *are* key, and I think the services will be good. Just wish they had Zagat still.....
    Originally posted by lctaynton
    Seems a sweet spot would have been ~ $15
    Well, with the promo they're offering through 3/31 (showed up when I opened Vindigo after syncing today, also appears in the advertisement section of the main Vindigo screen), it's $19.95/yr. Still not $15, but better than $24.95.

To me, it wasn't clear whether the discounted price was just for the first year or if it was permanent. Even so, as much as I hate to do it, I'll probably be sucked in by the discounted price. I'd be even more annoyed if I were to decide next month that I'd be ok paying for it and having to pay more.

Jeff
    We need to get used to the fact that the era of free is gone. The ad-support model just cannot make a company profitable.
    I'm sold on it, btw: they added maps, music, and museum info. The music alone is worth it, though I wish you could look more than a week ahead (ex. greg brown is already sold out )
    Originally posted by yardie
    We need to get used to the fact that the era of free is gone. The ad-support model just cannot make a company profitable.
    It kinda bothers me though that even though they're now charging, it looks like there will still be an ad on the main screen. I shudder to think how much they'd charge for a version with no ads...
    The promo code is 8FXAE.

Be my guest -- I removed Vindigo from my Clie and PC last night. For AvantGo, I might pay that much -- though dietrichbohn's excellent thread about using iSilo instead of AvantGo provides an attractive alternative.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  10.    #10  
    damn_Vindigo. $24.95 is too steep. I wonder how many subscribers they have left ...

yeah, i wrote that ...
    I came close but in the final analysis didn't order. If it were $10 less I probably would have.

I've just got to beleive that I'd be better off finding 5-10 great travel links with similar functions and putting them on a button-page in Blazer. Many of the sites would probably cover more cities and the info would often be more up to date.

Better yet, it would be wonderful to find a couple of great travel portals streamlined for mobile access.
    So I admit it, I took the plunge. I figured I'd give it a shot for the promo price of $19.95 and then reevaluate next year when it was up for renewal.

I took a look at my credit card statement today and found that Handango only charged me $14.95. Not sure where the error was introduced, but no complaints from me . Unless of course they catch their mistake...

Anyone else have the same luck?
    Originally posted by jsbernstein
    I took a look at my credit card statement today and found that Handango only charged me $14.95. Not sure where the error was introduced, but no complaints from me . Unless of course they catch their mistake...

Anyone else have the same luck?
    For $15 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Meanwhile I've started to find some nice palm compatable sites & portals which are very helpful for travel. Once I get my act together and come up for air on some other projects I'll start a thread about this.
    Think about it, folks. $25 a year. That's like $2 a month. I ponied up the dough and I've gotten WAY more value than that in just a few weeks of using it.

I really like how it offers even walking directions to any location from any location within the core cities. Very handy!

My only gripe is that the restaurant reviews are both short in quality and quantity But otherwise... very cool

Regards,
    Adam
    http://blog.smilezone.com/
    I subscribed. It's great.
    It's worth it. At least for those of us in big cities (I'm in the NY City area). All those shopping listings categorized and sortable by distance or name... Nightlife sorted by cateogory... And ATM listings? How cool is that? Subway and walking directions -- sweet! And... OMG -- they even have listings of public bathrooms now! Wish they had bus directions, too (especially now in the Summertime, when the heat in the subways can be unbearable), but, hey, you can't have everything, right?
    I second leojbramble's post. I've used it for 2 years and I got lots of uses out of it when it was free. So, I paid the $ and I still feel I owe them more $ (ooops..no, really the price is fine)

Now they have movie times and their maps are alot better. It saved my vacation in London last week, when I had to find a particular street. I fired it up and found it in minutes.
    Ok, Vindigo is still awesome, but having perused their public bathroom listings, I have to temper my enthusiasm for that particular feature. They list as '24 hours' bathrooms that are clearly located inside businesses with regular 9-5 hours, and they list as publicly accessible bathrooms that are clearly in huge office buildings with major security, such that you'd need to be an employee or a legitimate visitor to even get to a particular floor to use a restroom....
    Last edited by leojbramble; 12/05/2003 at 01:56 PM.
    I've been using Vindigo for two months and I am very happy with it. In Austin, I use it for movie times and restaurant addresses, mostly, but travelling to Houston I used it for maps and restaurants and shopping and museums. It was great. It was good in DC, a city I know better than Houston. Overall, it strikes me as pretty good value even at $25, although I think I got a $5 promotion when I signed up. I'll definitely renew next year provided the phone still works.