1.    #1  
    Its very surprising to me that, unlike most of the new cell phones coming out on the market, the Treo 180 cannot be used as a wireless modem for a laptop. One would have thought that a software selection would have allowed using the infrared port for this purpose. It means I still need to carry a GSM cellphone with me (Motorola L7089). Hope Handspring things about this potentially simple addition, which I assume could be done in software, when they release the GPRS upgrade. I also hope that, like the Ericson T39, the GPRS upgrade will not replace but rather will add on to the existing GSM data capabilities. In other words, since GPRS will initially be expensive and may require add-ons to voice plans, it would be nice to have the option to switch between GSM Data and GPRS. Food for thought.
    Originally posted by agahtan
    Its very surprising to me that, unlike most of the new cell phones coming out on the market, the Treo 180 cannot be used as a wireless modem for a laptop. One would have thought that a software selection would have allowed using the infrared port for this purpose. It means I still need to carry a GSM cellphone with me (Motorola L7089). Hope Handspring things about this potentially simple addition, which I assume could be done in software, when they release the GPRS upgrade. I also hope that, like the Ericson T39, the GPRS upgrade will not replace but rather will add on to the existing GSM data capabilities. In other words, since GPRS will initially be expensive and may require add-ons to voice plans, it would be nice to have the option to switch between GSM Data and GPRS. Food for thought.
    Neither the Samsung I300 or the Kyocera 6035 can be used as wireless modems for laptops via an Ir connection (though both can be used as wireless modems via a physical cable connection). The reason Ir doesn't work with either of these smartphones is that the Ir port is hardwired to only the Palm portion of the device. If it is the same case with the Treo, a software patch would likely not be able to fix the problem.

Marty
  3.    #3  
    I understand your point, but the TREO cannot currently be used as a wireless modem even with the serial cable or USB cable. Its not just an infrared issue. That makes it less functional that competitive units.
    Originally posted by agahtan
    I understand your point, but the TREO cannot currently be used as a wireless modem even with the serial cable or USB cable. Its not just an infrared issue. That makes it less functional that competitive units.
    You are correct and I totally agree. Subpar battery life/no removeable battery, no use as a wireless modem, lack of US GSM coverage (obviously not a problem in Europe), and a high price tag for the 270 (the only model I'll consider) are problems that are going to have to be fixed before I purchase one. I think HS got a lot of things right with this device (keyobard, form factor, etc) but they really neglected some major issues. Hopefully the 270 will fix some of these issues.

Marty
    It is very disappointing that the treo is not capable to double as an infrared modem.
    I have seen in earlier post that the infrared is connected to the Palm size. But the Palm size should be connected to the GSM size and usually this is done wint a serial line.
    Now the question is: is it the same serial line, or is it another phisical one?
    If the last is true, then it should be possible to write a simple bridge application that copies every character to the other port ans viceversa.
    Anyone knows?