1.    #1  
    Handspring said yesterday they were going to send me a replacement unit to see if I could get rid of the nasty echo and signal drops I have been getting. Litlte did I know that I would come home one day later and find the box waiting at my doorstep.

The first thing I noticed was that the new phone had a little bit of charge on the battery out of the box. My first Treo was DOA until I charged the battery.

Next, the initial setup asked me to select a language. The original one didn't have this.

Then I noticed that in the Ringer panel of the Prefs app, the options are laid out differently and labeled differently. The first Treo has:

- Ring Volume
    - Call Tone
    - SMS Tone
    - Vibrate

While the new Treo has:
    - Sound Mode
    Ring Volume
    Call Tone
    SMS Tone
    Vibrate
    - Silent Mode
    Vibrate

Then I noticed that the vibrate mode on the new phone vibrates A LOT quicker than the old unit even after both were on full charge.

Going into the Version screen I see that both are labeled as:
    Palm OS v. 3.5.2H4.

However, the new one lists LanguagePicker v.1.0H2 which the first one did not have.

Some other apps had version changes too.

Phonebook is now 3.5H4 whereas the old was 3.5H2.
    GSMLibrary is now 1.2 instead of 1.1
    CarrierExtension is now 1.5 instead of 1.0b
    Connection is now 3.5H instead of 3.5
    Digitizer is now 3.5H instead of 3.5

What all this means, I don't know. I haven't gotten a chance to test if the signal strength problem and the echo are still there with the new phone.
    Well it is good news to see that handspring is on the ball with updating and fixing things. Too bad us early adoptors are left behind. Let's hope they also become just as good at regular releasing these updates. I assume we can replace the old apps with the updated versions right? (Can someone who has them send us the new versions?)
    Originally posted by jwardell
    Well it is good news to see that handspring is on the ball with updating and fixing things. Too bad us early adoptors are left behind. Let's hope they also become just as good at regular releasing these updates. I assume we can replace the old apps with the updated versions right? (Can someone who has them send us the new versions?)
    I have to grin at this.... I had started a thread that speculated
    that the Treo 270 might contain some software fixes based
    upon Treo 180 issues....

It is interesting to see that Treo 180's are being updated at
    the factory.

-henry
    We discovered this in another thread, though it seems like the newer version still has dialup issues for some folk.

...maybe mine will, er, "break"
    Originally posted by karlfranz
    Next, the initial setup asked me to select a language. The original one didn't have this.

hmm.. maybe they're not "different," but more "international?" i.e. HS ran out of American versions and is now dipping into their euro stockpile?

Then I noticed that the vibrate mode on the new phone vibrates A LOT quicker than the old unit even after both were on full charge.

Quicker? Or stronger?
    What all this means, I don't know. I haven't gotten a chance to test if the signal strength problem and the echo are still there with the new phone.
    The language thing is the first real symptom I've seen of the newer OS.
  6.    #6  
    Quicker? Or stronger?
    Both.

The new one makes the old one sound like it was running on batteries that were half dead, even though both units were fully charged.

P.S. I know it's hardly scientific, but so far today, my signal strength has been better with the new Treo.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    My original Treo has a problem with the space bar being triggered when I snap the lid closed. It's rather annoying because it enters a blank entry in DateBk4.

So I called up and they sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement had a squishy screen (the original, and my Visor for that matter, felt like you were tapping wood, the new felt like you were tapping a bed - well, it wasn't that bad but you could definitely see and feel the screen depress with any tap).

So I kept the original and they sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement of the replacement also has a squishy screen. So I'm getting a replacement for my replacement!

Still on the original so I haven't compared the "newer" ones with the original.

However, I did notice immediately that the printing of the letters is bigger on the replacements. It makes the buttons look bigger as a result (though they seem to be the same size - they're too small for me to measure). Personally, I prefer the smaller printing. The bigger printing looks a little dorky, IMHO.

BTW, I did notice the Language question on the replacements as well and wondered what was up.
    Ack. AdamK, is it not good for the screen to feel like it's soft and depressed when I touch it? I imagine so since you even replaced your replacement because of it.

I've never had a PDA before this, so I have no idea how hard or soft the screen should be. Is this merely a personal preference, or does a soft screen indicate it might wear out or have problems later on?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Originally posted by NeoPhyte
    Ack. AdamK, is it not good for the screen to feel like it's soft and depressed when I touch it? I imagine so since you even replaced your replacement because of it.

I've never had a PDA before this, so I have no idea how hard or soft the screen should be. Is this merely a personal preference, or does a soft screen indicate it might wear out or have problems later on?
    It's entirely a personal preference. I also think it's the way that it's supposed to be because my old Visor and my original Treo were/are like that.

I guess I could describe it best by saying that with the original, it feels like I am pressing the button that's displayed on the screen. On the soft screens, it felt like I was pressing a piece of plastic above the button. Does that make sense? The hard screen provides more feedback that the Treo is going to do what I want it to do.

I have no knowledge that a soft screen would lead to any future problems.
    hmm. I myself really really like a soft and cushy screen. They don't scratch as easy from my own expereience, and I get more feedback from my tap. dunno your personal choice I guess..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    But is it right for him to be wasting Handspring's time and money because of his personal preference? I am surprise that Handspriung is even considering repalcing the unit for something so frivolous. If the design does not meet your specifications, return the product and get one that does> Its doubtful that you are going to get another one that is exactly like your original.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Originally posted by yardie
    But is it right for him to be wasting Handspring's time and money because of his personal preference? I am surprise that Handspriung is even considering repalcing the unit for something so frivolous. If the design does not meet your specifications, return the product and get one that does> Its doubtful that you are going to get another one that is exactly like your original.
    Trust me - the last thing I want to do is waste Handspring's time and money (not to mention mine) on this issue. I felt really awful having to call them up for a third time. I really want Handspring and the Treo to succeed.

But: Quality control is crucial for success. The fact that some screens are soft and some are hard indicates that not all Treos are the same. My first Treo had a problem with keys being depressed when closed - this is another example of different quality levels. If a consumer can't be assured that the quality of a product is going to be consistent, the product will fail.

I agree that if the design does not meet my specifications, I shouldn't buy it. However, the design shouldn't change from one item to the next. If I knew that every Treo has a squishy screen, I wouldn't get the Treo. But the fact that some do and some don't makes me want to make sure I get the right one for me.
    Originally posted by AdamK

But: Quality control is crucial for success. The fact that some screens are soft and some are hard indicates that not all Treos are the same. My first Treo had a problem with keys being depressed when closed - this is another example of different quality levels. If a consumer can't be assured that the quality of a product is going to be consistent, the product will fail.

This is slightly off topic, but if computer/netowrk security companies can't get QA done properly, I am very skeptical
    of other high tech companies getting the job done properly.

Some do, most don't.

-henry

former QA person in security field.
    I just ordered a replacement for mine - the echo problem was unbearable unless I used the headset (which isn't always practical).

Hey karlfranz, did the new Treo fix this issue for you? I couldn't hear the echo, just EVERYONE else I spoke to could hear themselves echoing - this happened when I used either the normal speaking mode or the speakerphone.

Thanks!
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by hjevans

Hey karlfranz, did the new Treo fix this issue for you? I couldn't hear the echo, just EVERYONE else I spoke to could hear themselves echoing - this happened when I used either the normal speaking mode or the speakerphone.
    No the replacement phone still has the same problem. In fact VS now claims that the coverage in my area is "marginal" and that this my be the cause for the echo.

However, I spoke to the VS engineer for my area today and he claims that the coverage isn't as bad as I have experienced with both phones. As proof, he's making arrangements to send me a different kind of phone for me to try in my area. He claims that once I use something other than the Treo, I will see that the coverage isn't that bad.

So the verdict is still out on whether the problem is with all Treos or VS. We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.
    I too was having an echo problem...so I received my new unit today and here is what I discovered:
    I received a unit with the updated version numbers for the software. This replacement unit did not come with a clear plastic overlay on the plastic cover (no biggie) this replacement unit has WAY smaller letters and symbols on the keypad. The echo is still there.....luckily I don't experience it on all phone calls.
    I'm now trying to decide if I should send back this "replacement" one. The main differences are the letters on the keypad on my original unit and the updated software on the replacement unit! Help. Or should I just send 'em all back and wait for something new?
    If the replacement has the smaller lettered keyboard, that means that they updated the software on an "older" treo... which means that it must be a Flash-ROM update and not a true OS chip replacement, i.e. it's the phone RAM. Which means that there is no good reason for HS to not eventually post an update.

cooo!
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    If the replacement has the smaller lettered keyboard, that means that they updated the software on an "older" treo... which means that it must be a Flash-ROM update and not a true OS chip replacement, i.e. it's the phone RAM. Which means that there is no good reason for HS to not eventually post an update.

cooo!
    Hey, here is a brochure for the chip:

http://www.wavecom.com/products/docs/plaquette_Pac.pdf

If I read this correctly, (page 5-6), the question is how
    effectively has Handspring made use of its features.

Page 7 sells the feature of "download new software via a PC modem without replacing hardware" as a manufacturing
    feature of using the Wavecom Chip! While I am not an EE
    by vocation, Handspring would be really silly not to provide
    a flash upgraade path for the GSM chip itself!

-henry
    Ha!!

I should have looked at support first!

Here is the answer!!!!!

http://www.wavecom.com/support/question.php?id=19

Anyway, enjoy!

And thanks to whoever voided there warrenty.

-henry