webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm OS Devices & Apps > Windows 7 64-Bit Drivers for Palm Treo 680
Windows 7 64-Bit Drivers for Palm Treo 680
Like Tree3Likes

Old 01/01/2010, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have been using a Palm Treo 680 for the past 2 years. I recently upgraded by laptop to Windows 7 64-bit. The OS is not recognizing the Palm Treo 680. Where can I find drivers for this?
murthy.ranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2010, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murthy.ranjit View Post
I have been using a Palm Treo 680 for the past 2 years. I recently upgraded by laptop to Windows 7 64-bit. The OS is not recognizing the Palm Treo 680. Where can I find drivers for this?
I know this is an old post but here's what found out recently:

- USB HotSync is not suppored in Windows 7 64-bit.
- One has to use Bluetooth to sync
- Some users claimed to have success using XP Mode. You'll need XP Pro and higher and a processor that supports virtualization

I also started to look into SplashID and it seems that the latest versions support Windows 7. It was not clearly stated that 64-bit is supported but I guess that just depends on how you HotSynch (Bluetooth instead of USB).

If you found anything new please post as well. I know my Treo 680 is pretty old but I just don't feel like upgrading yet.
Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2010, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

As I stated in another thread, I HotSync to Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit/Palm Desktop 6.2 via Bluetooth (USB is not supported).

Installing the Palm Desktop was a major pain, but once it was installed, it worked just fine. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it was written to work with the new security paradigm of Vista, specifically the User Account Control feature.

Here is the process I used. It involves:

- changing the user account that will use the Palm Desktop to an Administrator,

- install using that account,

- perform one HotSync as that user,

-then change the user account back to a standard user:

Palm Desktop HotSync Manager v7.x software install on 64-bit - Vista Forums
pvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: EveryWord
Old 04/14/2011, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I thought you might like to know that 64-bit Windows USB drivers are now available for Garnet OS PDAs.
They have been developed by Aceeca and have been tested so far with the PDA32, the MEZ1000 and the RDA/MEZ1500 devices.
For more details and to download the files, please go to the Aceeca website and click on the Downloads area.
Feel free to test the drivers on any other Garnet Powered device (or Palm OS 4.x/5.x devices) and let us know if you have any problems,
Cheers,
Cecile
Aceeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 04/23/2011, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceeca View Post
I thought you might like to know that 64-bit Windows USB drivers are now available for Garnet OS PDAs.
They have been developed by Aceeca and have been tested so far with the PDA32, the MEZ1000 and the RDA/MEZ1500 devices.
For more details and to download the files, please go to the Aceeca website and click on the Downloads area.
Feel free to test the drivers on any other Garnet Powered device (or Palm OS 4.x/5.x devices) and let us know if you have any problems,
Cheers,
Cecile
Thank You!

they work flawlessly with my Treo 680

using Palm Hotsync manager 6.22
oronzous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2011, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Finally the 64 bit drivers are here!! check out the link
Aceeca.com :: Rugged Palm Powered™ Handhelds
and here is a troubleshooting guide

http://www.aceeca.com/products/pub/e...s_7_64-bit.pdf
carlos1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 05/24/2011, 05:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos1787 View Post
Finally the 64 bit drivers are here!! check out the link
Thanks for the heads-up. In your experience, do these drivers allow a known issue under Win7, in that the QuickInstall app doesn't work?
hal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2011, 05:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have been using the drivers since the the 5-4-2011. I just downloaded it and installed it without any trouble. I has been much faster and more reliable than Bluetooth. Now I don't have to give up my trusty old 700p. I also tried it with a 650 and a centro. I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
Old 07/10/2011, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My wife uses a 600 Treo which she refuses to give up. We recently upgraded from an computer using XP to on that has Windows 7 Professional loaded. I hsd planned on installing the Palm Treo software version 4.1 on the new computer using the virtual PC XP mode. I now see that the 4.1 version of this software will not run on a 64 bit system. Can you tell me what version of Palm Treo software you are using on your PC?

Many thanks,

Mark
Msavoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm using version 7.0.2, I have also used version 6.
get her a used 650 or 700p..she will love it. they have the same operating system as the 600 and much better screen and camera. Ebay should have em for about $25. all of the accessories from the 600 will work as well and the cases are very close in size.

I have added a tutorial (attachment) so that Hotsync will work with office 2007 and 2010. If you need the tutorial in another format, just let me know. I put it up in Word format.
If you want a file that has already been modified, let me know. I got everything working just like it did in XP 32 bit....I won't let go of my treo for awhile yet.

I also have the mod you need the read cards over 2 gig, I've tested it with 8 and 16 gig mico SD cards using an adapter.

Last edited by carlos1787; 07/10/2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add attachment tutorial
Thanked by Msavoy99, vitb9doc
Old 07/11/2011, 06:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you so much. We had contemplated upgrading but had heard that at some point the look feel or functionality had took a turn for the worse. Do you know when this occurred? In other words what was the last Treo model before the undesireable changes in the operating system occurred?
Old 07/11/2011, 06:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

the 700 was the first that came with both palm operating system or windows mobile.
the 650, 700p, 755p, the 680 and centro all had palm Os versions. the only thing that is mising from some of these is the graffiti program. this can be added to any of them from what I understand. the 600 runs palm Os 5.2, while the others run version 5.4, it's more stable.

If she doesn't like the upgrade, you can always put it back on E-bay and get your money back. If she likes the operating system on the 600 she will be right at home with any of the others with the benefit of a more stable phone, better reception, better camera, better screen, much improved keyboard, longer battery life, Faster processor (312 MHz V.S. 144MHz) and changeable batteries. The Battery can be replaced for under $5 is you ever need to. I have had a 600, 650,700p, 750p, Centro and a very old kyocera 6035. I use a 700p right now because it has more memory that the 650 and a better camera. The 700p has better battery life than the 755/680. The centro's screen and keyboard are too small for my tastes and battery life is not as long as the 700p. the screen from the 600 to the 650 and higher is like standard TV to HD...no comparison!

Last edited by carlos1787; 07/11/2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07/11/2011, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

I never did have a 600, I started with the 300, then went to a 650, then to a Centro, then back to a 650, then 700, and now I use a 755p, like Carlos I did not like the keyboard on the Centro, other then that I have not noticed much difference between any of the Palm based treos, in the middle of these models I tried a couple of Windows Mobile PPCs, not Treos, I hated that OS, in my opinion Palm/Garnet is the BEST OS on the plannet, it just works, and is easy to manuver around.
Also with new drivers by Acceca on my Windows 7 devices I am able to sync just like with windows XP.
Also I wanted to mention that you can download the latest Palm Desk top, it will work with Windows 7 and Vista, and you should be able to sync the 600 just like before, also I have read over on the Acceca web site that some people are using earlier versions of the Palm desk top with their windows 7 machines.
Terry
PS: here is the link to down load the latest version of Palm Desktop:
http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2.../32859_en.html
Tmair is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: vitb9doc
Old 08/17/2011, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Terry,

My wife currently is using a Treo 600 with Palm desktop 4.1 running on an 32 bit XP computer. Assuming she upgrades to a 755 which can use more recent Palm desktop software that will run on Windows 7, how would we go about extracting the data from the old phone. I cannot seem to locate a Palm operating system that works for the 600 that will run on Windows 7. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08/17/2011, 05:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msavoy99 View Post
Terry,

My wife currently is using a Treo 600 with Palm desktop 4.1 running on an 32 bit XP computer.
Get the 755 or other palm and sync it to the same profile on the xp machine. that should give you all of your data. or you can run NV backup on the 600 and do a selective restore on the 755. doing a selective restore is a bit more complicated, but it would transfer all data and programs over, where palm desktop may miss a few things.

Have you tried using the most current version of palm desktop with the 600? I used to have some of those, and I don't recall having to use an older version of palm desktop.
Old 08/17/2011, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

I would also think that once you install the palm software on your 64 bit computer and do a hotsync with your 600 it should just backup everything, then just sync your 755 to that computer, it will ask what hotsync profile you want to use, just tell it to use what you have been using, when I set up my new computer I just used the same profile name that I have always used, never had a problem switching over, but as Carlos said you can also use NV backup, which I would recomend you get and use, if not for this then just for a backup, it is free and a great program, it does a complete reinstall, I love it.
Good luck, and glad to see there are still those of us around who still believe that the Palm OS is a great and usable system, I just can bring myself to switch to any of the clones, I mean phones that are out there today, they are all just eye candy, fluff in my opinion of course.
Terry
Old 08/17/2011, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
I just can bring myself to switch to any of the clones,
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
I mean phones that are out there today, they are all just eye candy, fluff in my opinion of course.
And they won't take near the beating that I put my 700p through!! I can't tell you how many fall's off my tool box this poor thing has survived!
Old 08/17/2011, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos1787 View Post
Ditto

And they won't take near the beating that I put my 700p through!! I can't tell you how many fall's off my tool box this poor thing has survived!
And they just plain work, sure once in a wile you need to reset them but other then that they work, I have Garmin on my 755p, used on our Motorcycle trip a couple of weeks ago, you can see the screen even in bright sun light, you can't say that about the new clones, or regular GPS units, and I know what you mean about dropping them, I forgot mine was on my lap the other day went to get out of my truck and dropped it on the cement drive way, picked it up and every thing was just fine, just a couple of little marks in the grippy paint.
I love these thing!!
Terry
Old 08/18/2011, 07:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

We currently are running Palm Desktop version 4.1 on the old computer that runs XP in a 32 bit environment. It is my understanding that this is the most recent OS that the Treo 600 supports. This reality has lead us to consider upgrading to a newer Palm Treo.

So if I understand you correctly I should be able to install a newer Palm OS that is supported by the newer Palm Treo ( we have not decided on which model yet). I then should be able to hotsync the 600 to the new computer. From there I would hotsync to the newer Treo phone. In other words, the fact that the new computer is running an operating system that is not supported by the 600 shouldn't prevent her from hotsyncing?

Thanks for all of your help

Mark
Old 08/18/2011, 08:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Like I mentioned in an earlier post I have never owned a 600, so take this for what it's worth, but I cannot imagine that you could not hotsync the 600 to a windows 7 computer, you will need to download the drivers for 64 bit computers and install them per the instructions that you will get with the download, once you have synced your 600 with the new computer you can sync the newer Treo with that computer, just remember to use the hotsync name that you are using now, you should be able to run Palm Desktop 4.1 on the new computer, I am using 4.1.4 on my laptop with windows 7 right now.
I hope this helps
Terry
Edited to add: If you do upgrade to a newer Treo I would recomend that you go with either a 700p or a 755p, some people seam to like the 700p more, personily I can't really tell a difference in performance, the 755p has no antenna, weighs a little less, and has a grippy type finish on it.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0