1.    #1  
    I don't know if this has been put forward yet,
    But I bet the Treo 270 will have a more up-to-date
    version of PalmOS (not necessarily 4.X, ), and
    the technical issues plus GPRS will probably ship with the phone as standard.

For a 33% price premium over the 180, do you think
    that is worth while guess since it will be coming sometime this summer without a firm date even set?

-henry
    I think its way too pricey! Then again I am a sucker for these things. Watch me upgrade from the 180 to the 270 as soon as it come out
  3.    #3  
    Well, the other thing that is nagging me, and I know
    this is a little bit of an Apples to Oranges thing,
    but geeze, $750 for the phone is getting into the cost-effective *cough*lowend*cough* laptop arena.

Even at $500 bucks.

But, then, with color PDA's running around $300 and a decent phone about $100-150 that doesn't have good web capabilities....

Anyway, I really really want a Treo.... but I am trying to wait

-henry
    Henry. You are so right. 750 plus tax. It's just too much for a cell phone and pda. No matter how great. It's definitely on the cusp of laptop mentality.
    I really want a Treo also. But it seems like now is not the time to buy. There are too many unresolved issues.
    The battery is the main thing that is making me sit on my hands. It's a cell phone. In today's world, with all of us now trained to be able to use our cell phones all the time and have battery life that will definitely take us comfortably through at least one full day, the Treo doesn't cut it. Not from reading what I've been reading here at Visorcentral.
    I don't want to have to worry that after half an hour, I won't be able to talk on the phone anymore. I use my cell phone. I don't want to have to worry about it at all. Period. Those days are long over. This is much too big an issue. I can't believe Handspring would release a phone that couldn't handle strong cell phone use. Not at these prices.
    The Treo is a great idea. I think it looks terrific. But it doesn't seem ready for prime time.
    Am I the only one that is struck by the rather lukewarm reception of most of the new Treo owners posting here?
    No one is raving. Well, maybe a few. But there are many more complaints then there are raves.
    It's frustrating. Because I bet there are so many of us that want the new Treo and would have ordered it in a heartbeat. Now we have to play the waiting game for months on end.
    I have an early adopter personality. Which basically translates that I need instant gratification. But I am trying my best to resist temptation and hold out for a Treo that actually lives up to Handspring's hype. I may weaken, but I'm trying. I know if I wait, I'll be really happy that I did. It's HARD, though.
    I've been using mine for 3 weeks now and I can say that I am extremely satisfied with my Treo! I have had a few issues-- most of them network (Voicestream) related, but this is one damn fine device. I havent gotten the impression that people have been lukewarm at all. I think we are just posting about various little idiosynchrocies that happen. For me, it was definitely worth the money and I dont miss the color all that much (I had a Prism). The weight and size make up for that.
    Originally posted by everyman
    ....Am I the only one that is struck by the rather lukewarm reception of most of the new Treo owners posting here?
    No one is raving. Well, maybe a few. But there are many more complaints then there are raves.
    I don't have a Treo but my perception, almost exclusively from reading VC, is that most people are satisfied and many are raving.

One of the main purposes of places like VC is for people to help each other resolving problems. You just don't often see posts that say, "I've had my Treo for 2 months and everything's fine. Just wanted to let everyone know." People don't post (for the most part) when everything's fine, they post when they have a problem. So we're almost certainly not hearing from many satisfied Treo owners.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    The last post is correct. I am a satisfied customer who hasn't been very actively posting my good news....but now I feel compelled to. I was a former PocketPC user who made the switch from a nice color iPaq to the Treo 180 (keyboard version). I have since tucked my iPaq away and am using the Treo exclusively. I enjoy the cellular/web browsing/ email /paging /PDA functions all in one slim unit. Sure, I'll trade up to the color one when it becomes available....as I believe it will be more user friendly on the eyes. My one small disappointment is that the keypad doesn't light up at night, so I can't do AOL instant messaging without the house light on. Overall, I like the all-in-one concept. My purse is much lighter now and the Treo is slim enough to slip into slacks and go virtually unnoticed.
    I hope for 2 things from Handspring (in case they're listening) when they introduce the 270:

1 - that they take the opportunity to improve the 270 with many of the wonderful suggestions posted here instead of simply slapping on a color screen. Increased battery life, improved screen readability, lighted keyboard, mute button, springboard expansion slot capability like the Visor Edge, TreoButton and PowerJog functionality built in, GPRS, anti-slip grip or rubberized coating, etc.

2 - a substantial trade-up offer to current 180 owners. After all, we have helped beta test, improve and promote their product. I would think $250-300 off the price of a new 270 when you trade in your 180 might be a good start. :-)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Increased battery life with a color screen, wouldnt that be a miracle?

/Andreas
    Does anyone really think HS will offer a "trade up" for 180 owners? I thought they specifically said on their site that they wouldn't...
    I don't see a tradeup from the 180 ever happening. That said, I love my Treo - you can put me in the "raving" camp. I would love color, but not from a $600-$750 device like the 270. $399 (with V-phone upgrade) was reasonable to have a good pda and a great phone. But I'll only pay so much for a phone or pda, and $200 extra is not worth it for a nicer screen. It's not a Rolex.

$750 for a cell phone/pda? Never.
    When I was spoke to an "eslated" HS customer rep recently I asked about the fact that it explicitly states on HS's web site that they will not be giving 180 users a trade-in discount on the 270. He said that while it's true the web site says that, they could certainly change that policy when they release the 270. It sounded like they probably hadn't made a decision yet, and just wanted to be sure people didn't have any specific expectations....

Personally, i think that they should at least deduct the difference between buying the 270 with and without a plan, if nothing else (especially for people that just got VS to buy the 180).
    Last edited by NeoPhyte; 03/19/2002 at 10:28 AM.
    I really don't think HS would give a discount on the 270 to 180 owners. Did they give a discount when users went from the Visor Deluxe to the Prism?

The only break I can see is for Visorphone users or phone service to be transferred...like HS did with the 180.
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by NeoPhyte
    When I was speak to an "eslated" HS customer rep recently I asked about the fact that it explicitly states on HS's web site that they will not be giving 180 users a trade-in discount on the 270. He said that while it's true the web site says that, they could certainly change that policy when they release the 270. It sounded like they probably hadn't made a decision yet, and just wanted to be sure people didn't have any specific expectations....
    Yes, things could change. HS is certainly aware of the price
    issues I pointed out earlier. However, HS is also thinking about
    the global market. And it occured to me (as observed by
    others) that the 180/180g is not trageted at Japan.

Hell, go to the internaltion link on HS's site and look through the
    different countries.

So, the Treo 270, at launch, is unlikely to be discounted
    (beyond the with and without activiation prices quoted). However, it is more likely to be discounted soon after its
    launch.

Do you think Amazon offered that $100 off was in isolation?

-henry