1.    #1  
    Hi all. This is looking like a pretty serious problem, and I have no idea what to do about this - I'd welcome any suggestions here.

Last night, I had just opened the browser and was loading a web page when I got an error message saying that the device was almost out of storage space. I haven't gotten that one before. (Usually I only get a message when the phone has run out of storage space and can't open the browser. When that happens, I'd go through and delete photos, and the browser would open.)

So I continued opening the browser, at which point it froze. I waited about twenty seconds and then restarted the phone. I've done this many times before, and I've never had any problems. But this time, it restarted and then acted like this was the first time I'd ever used it. Text messages, photos, emails...everything is gone.

Basically it's like I hard-reset the device, even though I didn't do that at all.

Does this sound like anything anybody's seen before? I would really appreciate any help here!
    I've had that happen to me before, but I run NVbackup (it's free) and back up to a mini SD card (with adaptor of course) nightly.
    you should be hot syncing and or backing up Daily. If you don't have a backup, I don't know if or how you could get your info back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cs5277 View Post
    Hi all. This is looking like a pretty serious problem, and I have no idea what to do about this - I'd welcome any suggestions here.

Last night, I had just opened the browser and was loading a web page when I got an error message saying that the device was almost out of storage space. I haven't gotten that one before. (Usually I only get a message when the phone has run out of storage space and can't open the browser. When that happens, I'd go through and delete photos, and the browser would open.)

So I continued opening the browser, at which point it froze. I waited about twenty seconds and then restarted the phone. I've done this many times before, and I've never had any problems. But this time, it restarted and then acted like this was the first time I'd ever used it. Text messages, photos, emails...everything is gone.

Basically it's like I hard-reset the device, even though I didn't do that at all.

Does this sound like anything anybody's seen before? I would really appreciate any help here!

You need to do what carlos1787 does (I do the same as carlos 1787 - I hotsync daily and also use NVBackup nightly) - You might also want to go to your browser preferences and clear your cache and cookies if it hasn't been done before. Althought if your phone did a hard reset it might have done that for you by default.

With that being said I doubt you will get your data back unless you at least did a hotsync - if you did not do a hotsync and did not backup to a card, than all is lost and you will have to start over.

And yes a mysterious reboot CAN happen. So practice safe backups (like safe sex) or disasters WILL happen.

Good Luck!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  4.    #4  
    Hey, thanks for your suggestions. I did back up the device a few months ago, but not nearly as often as I should have. Good to know about NVBackup - I didn't know about that.

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible that the data is still on the card? I know that with hard drives, the data is still there until it's overwritten. Any chance I could recover this with some kind of software tool?

Thanks again!

- Chris
    cs5277,

Try and read your card in a card reader that connects to your computer - that might help to see if the data is still there - I use an app called CardReader that you can find here on treocentral, that way you can just leave your card in your phone and read it from there - so it gets down to which data is the most recent - your last hotsync or whats on your card - if is the last hotsync, then simply resync - if it is the card, you maybe out of luck.

Good Luck!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

6.    #6  
    MouseGlider,

The data on my SD card seems to be fine - it's the data on the phone's internal memory that is gone.

Can CardReader access the internal memory? I did a little research on that and another program called Card Export - they both say they work with SDs, but they didn't mention the internal memory.

Thanks for telling me about these programs - even if they don't help here, they're good to know about for the future!
    cs5277,

First of all you would want to get CardReader v1.60 not CardExport which is similiar - and if you are trying to get the data from internal memory, they are gone for good from the reset whether it be a soft, warm or hard reset.

After a reset, apps will be reloaded from ROM memory back into internal memory - internal ROM memory will always be there, as the factory preloaded apps are stored in ROM - no data can be written or saved to ROM (Read Only Memory).
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

8.    #8  
    See, that's the thing. I've reset the phone many times before by pressing the little button under the battery cover, which I thought was a soft reset, and I never lost any data. This is the first reset where it basically set itself back to factory condition.

It sounds like you've confirmed my basic question, though: the data is gone.

Thanks again for your help, both you and Carlos. I'm probably going to move to either a Blackberry or an iPhone, but whichever one it is, I'll be backing it up regularly from now on.

Happy holidays!