Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    good thing you posted, I forgot to post this earlier:

I was shopping for a car mount today, and stopped by a local Good Guys store. This particular store was a "clearance" store where area Good Guys stores sent product that isn't selling well. I don't think that's entirely accurate given the products they had, so it must be a regular store WITH clearance stuff. Anyway, while looking through the hands-free stuff, I saw the Jabra Ear Boom headset, the Nokia 8200 (three ring) model, for $10! I'm like, "Is this really only $10?" So the guy scans in and it's $10 all right.

As such, I highly recommend that people with Good Guys stores in their area who want a new headset should check this out.

Good luck!
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    I have now tried 3 headsets and strongly prefer the Earglove (Body Glove) I bought this past Saturday.

First I tried a Plantronics (the color even matched the treo) with a long mike boom. But I had trouble getting much volume out of the speaker (noted by others in this thread).

Then I tried a Jabra with a mini-boom and gel covers for the ear bud. The sound volume was great (as also noted in this tread). However, even with 6 gels to choose from I found the gel cover on the speaker bud really annoyed my ear, both shortly after putting it in and even for a while after taking it out. And if you want to switch ears and maybe let someone else use it, then carrying around a pack of gel covers seems stupid to me. Also, I called a friend when I was riding the Metro, and he said it sounded like I was right next to a waterfall. (Consumer Reports recommends this headset, but also states that it does poorly in noisy surroundings.)

So I returned it to the phone kiosk and tried the Earglove . It basically has an ear bud, attached to a mini-mike, that is kept in place by a padded “earhook” that fits around the ear. I found this design didn’t bother me when I was using it, and didn’t bother me at all after I took it off. The volume on the speaker is so loud that I usually use it at the lowest setting I can get on the Treo. Finally, it claims that it has a noise cancelling microphone, and when I did the “riding on the Metro” test with my wife, she didn’t claim anything as bad as what my friend claimed with the Plantronics. (Both the Jabra and the Earglove generated occasional buzzing when I used at home – had to twist the headset plug and/or cord and/or move around to eliminate it.)

In case anyone wants the specifics, there is no prominent model number. However, the packaging says it’s for Nokia 3200, 3300, 8200, and 8800 series. (The top UPC label includes HSN826-ABP – the one under it says HSUNIV-ABP.) It was $29 at the mall kiosk, the same price as the Plantronics that I returned. The back also says that the one touch button can “answer/end, mute, voice activate”, but that the mute is only claimed for “most Motorola phones” and that “voice activation compatibility depends on your phone model”. I haven’t tried to see if either works yet.
    I'd be surprised if the button on the Body Glove did anything different than the buttons on other ear sets. It all depends on how the phone is programmed to react to the signal that is sent when the button is pressed.
    What I'm personally hoping for is a hack or application that can make use of the button in other ways. Muting while on a call would be wonderful of course, but in lieu of voice dialing which would be darn near impossible on the current Treo (processor limitations more than anything), I think it would be neat to have the button be able to activate dialing a number. For example, you could set up a hack to give you the choice between calling a specific number, calling back the person you just missed, or redialing the number you most recently called. Even if you could only have it do one of those three things, it would be very useful when you're trying to keep your hands on the wheel. I'm sure a skilled hack or DA author could set something like that up, but the question is whether the signal the button sends can be "heard" by the Treo when it's powered off. Currently the only use of the button is when the Treo is on.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    ...but in lieu of voice dialing which would be darn near impossible on the current Treo (processor limitations more than anything), I think it would be neat to have the button be able to activate dialing a number...
    I got my Cingular bill today and they had a flier in it for Voice Connect. It is a service that does voice dialing. They are giving me two free months and after that it costs 4.99. I gotta tell you it works great. First it has an Intellisync download that syncs their service with your Outlook or Palm contacts list. So all my contacts are there without me entering anything. You access the service by hitting *8. I programmed the first number in the quick dial to *8 and now pressing the jog button with my Jabra Earboom Winder plugged in dials the access number and I get connected. I dont even have to look at the Treo. I say "Jim Stanton" and it says which number: work, mobile, home. I say work and it confirms and then dials. I tried several numbers and this works perfectly so far. I did not have to voice program it at all and it still picked up complex words like Swaringen and Company of thiscity vs Company of thatcity. I was impressed.

I have had two people I know who have died or been paralyzed in accidents in the past couple of weeks. This along with the Jabra are keepers.

Btw. I just read in Handspring's newsletter that pressing and holding the phone button for three seconds redials your last number.
    Last edited by Jim Stanton; 04/29/2002 at 10:11 PM.
    I got my Cingular bill today and they had a flier in it for Voice Connect. It is a service that does voice dialing. They are giving me two free months and after that it costs 4.99. I gotta tell you it works great.
    Is that the "VoiceTouch" service described on this page? Are you by any chance in Houston (the page linking to that brochure seemed to imply that VoiceTouch is only being offered in Houston)? The service looks great and I'd sign up for it in an instant, but I haven't seen such a thing available in the Bay Area...
    Originally posted by Jim Stanton

I programmed the first number in the quick dial to *8 and now pressing the jog button with my Jabra Earboom Winder plugged in dials the access number and I get connected.
    Huh? How did you do that? On my treo the first Speed Dial entry isn't editable - it's "locked" to Cingular's voicemail number...

Please enlighten me if I'm missing something, because I'd like to do this also...

Paul
    I just realized you can drag the speed dials around in edit mode to move them. So I moved the Voicemail one down and put the Voicedialer one first with &date on it... Very cool.

Paul
    Originally posted by Thelonious

Is that the "VoiceTouch" service described on this page? Are you by any chance in Houston (the page linking to that brochure seemed to imply that VoiceTouch is only being offered in Houston)? The service looks great and I'd sign up for it in an instant, but I haven't seen such a thing available in the Bay Area...
    Nope. Check out this:http://www.bevocal.com/cingular57790...t_brochure.pdf

and this:

http://www.cingular.com/voiceconnect

Voiceconnect does allow you to say the numbers though if you dont have a number in your address book. Just say Call 555.1212 and it confirms and dials. Very cool.

Actually I am in South Carolina and for some reason we have one of the best GSM/GPRS systems in the country. I am ready for the Treo people to offer the GPRS upgrade!

For the people who sign up:

I did have some trouble downloading the sync product. I called the Cingular people and they pushed me to tech support immediately. Usually they try to talk you through the problem. It was clear she wanted no part of this. Tech support did not understand about it either, she had to get me to talk her through it. The javascript they had was closing the window before it started the download. Perhaps they have fixed it by now. Anyway, I cut the url and took the javascript stuff out of it and put www.bevocal.com in front and did not allow the window to close when it asked me. The download started fine at that point. I did this while on hold. I told the tech person what I did and she made a note of it.

The sync part is really one of the coolest features. It keeps an identical copy of the stuff on my Treo and in Outlook so it really is like the Treo has the voice dial feature.

Since the Tech support gal was surprised when I told her there was a sychronization feature and the Cingular page to sign up for this seems a little spartan, I am guessing that I am once again an unknowing beta tester. But this time I don't mind!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Stanton; 05/01/2002 at 11:42 PM.
    Yesterday I was coming home from work and was driving on a country road. My phone rang so I put in the Jabra earpiece and pushed the button and started talking. Ahead of me in the other lane, an old Lincoln was coming my way. An SUV had pulled up on a side street. The SUV pulled out and went right in the side of the Lincoln. I was headed right for this accident. I slammed on brakes and did some quick turning and went between the two cars as they bounced off of each other and went into their respective ditches. They went around me on both sides. It happened very quickly. If I had had my hand busy with the phone, I know exactly what would have happened. It would have been a three car accident.

I also apparently had the only phone that worked out there so I called 911 and the sheriffs department.

I said I had been apprehensive about accidents lately. I did not expect to be tested so soon.

Jim
    Coming this fall to Fox,
    Crossing Over (the centerline) with Jim Stanton...

See Jim predict disasters before they happen....

Paul
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12