1.    #1  
    Chattermail: opening attachments crashes 700p 100% of time

I think the subject says it all.

Does not matter the type of attachment: .doc, .jpg., .pdf.

They all it and send it to Palm logo, and then to Access logo, and then it restarts.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by briisthemn View Post
    Chattermail: opening attachments crashes 700p 100% of time

I think the subject says it all.

Does not matter the type of attachment: .doc, .jpg., .pdf.

They all it and send it to Palm logo, and then to Access logo, and then it restarts.

Any thoughts?
    Chatteremail was THE killer PalmOS application that was never discovered by the masses. It was much more versatile than the native WebOS email app. What a shame. I recall having that occasional problem with Chatteremail on my 700p. The only thing I can suggest is removing and then re-installing it, if you still have the original software and your ID. But, if you don't, I don't believe that Palm is even providing support for lost ID's since August.

The sad truth of it is that no one supports the application or OS, anymore. It is time for a change.
    what version are you running and which email account are you connecting to? Gmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    what version are you running and which email account are you connecting to? Gmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc...
    * Chattermail: 3.0.18
    * AOL
    * Gmail
    * It does not seem to matter, it crashes

To be honest the phone crashes a lot, during other Chatter operations, like deleting a bunch of e-mails, one by one.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled several times.

It may be the actual Treo device, as I have had other Treo 700p's and not had this problem.

The phone software is Treo700p-1.11-VZW

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jws021 View Post
    Chatteremail was THE killer PalmOS application that was never discovered by the masses. It was much more versatile than the native WebOS email app. What a shame. I recall having that occasional problem with Chatteremail on my 700p. The only thing I can suggest is removing and then re-installing it, if you still have the original software and your ID. But, if you don't, I don't believe that Palm is even providing support for lost ID's since August.

The sad truth of it is that no one supports the application or OS, anymore. It is time for a change.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed it.

I know it's time for a change to <gasp> a BlackBerry, but it's just until I get one, to tide me over, so I can read attachments.

I think it's the hardware of this device.
    Have you tried removing all of the chatter files using filez on both the device and sd card? That's the only way to fully remove it before reinstalling. Also, this is a shot in the dark but go under mailbox utilities and rebuild each mailbox. It's possible you have a corrupted mailbox that's causing the problem.

I personally run version 3.0.9. That's the most stable version and what was recommended by Marc. The only reason to upgrade to a newer version was if you were experiencing issues with gmail.
  7.    #7  
    Have you tried removing all of the chatter files using filez on both the device and sd card? That's the only way to fully remove it before reinstalling. Also, this is a shot in the dark but go under mailbox utilities and rebuild each mailbox. It's possible you have a corrupted mailbox that's causing the problem.

I personally run version 3.0.9. That's the most stable version and what was recommended by Marc. The only reason to upgrade to a newer version was if you were experiencing issues with gmail.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Some questions/clarifications:

* What is "FILEZ"? Where do I get it? How do I use it, etc?
    * I do not have an SD card
    * I tried the MAILBOX UTILS, and re-LOADING both mailboxes...I did not see re-BUILDING in version 3.018...
    * I do use gmail. Is there a place I can try to get 3.09, and see if it works for me? What kind of problems were people having with 3.09 with gmail?

Thanks for all.
    I assume you're using an IMAP connection and not POP.

FILEZ allows you to brows the phone's file system and much like windows explorer. Do a google search for filez, it's free.

I would get an SD card. One reason it might be crashing is that you don't have enough memeory on your Palm to open the attachments.

Re-loading is the same as rebuilding.

The biggest issue people were having with Gmail and 3.09 was attachments were corrupted. It wasn't a chatter issue but i won't get into that. Gmail seems to have a non-standard IMAP IDLE implentation
  9.    #9  
    I assume you're using an IMAP connection and not POP.

FILEZ allows you to brows the phone's file system and much like windows explorer. Do a google search for filez, it's free.

I would get an SD card. One reason it might be crashing is that you don't have enough memeory on your Palm to open the attachments.

Re-loading is the same as rebuilding.

The biggest issue people were having with Gmail and 3.09 was attachments were corrupted. It wasn't a chatter issue but i won't get into that. Gmail seems to have a non-standard IMAP IDLE implentation
    =====================================================
    Peter:

Thanks for all your replies.

The thing is, is that I have been thru several Treo 700p units.

They were all "refurbished like new" sent from Verizon, and all the others worked, opening attachments, doing all the same things, I am doing now, under the exact same configuration, etc, and this one will not.

I am not sure I want to buy SD card, since I do not know how much longer I will be using my Treo, and really don't want to invest any more in it than I already have.

The more I try, the more I think there's something fundamentally wrong with the hardware of this particular 700p, and that it was not quite really ready to go back out to another customer, and should have been sent to 700p heaven instead.

I will look for FileZ, but not sure what I am to do with it, or if it will help.

But thanks for all.
  10.    #10  

Peter:

sorry to keep coming back to you like the dog you gave a morsel of food to, and now won't go away, but you're my last hope.

Thanks for looking at my list of Qs, one by one, when you have time.

* I downloaded & installed FileZ into my 700p.

* I need to delete all files that have the word Chatter in them from my Treo?

* Do you have a list?

* Are there others that I need to delete that don't have the word Chatter in them?

* On the Palm website, it only mentions deleting 3 files, which I did, and I quick installed them back, and it still crashes when I tried to open an attachment.

* If I delete ALL of those files, that seem to have my preferences, inbox, etc, how do I get those things back?

* If I quick sync back, without making a new back-up folder, won't Chatter just come back in it's current can't-open-an-attachment form?

* How much memory does one need to open attachments in Chatter?

* Other than FileZ, Chatter, Docs to Go, I have no other 3rd party apps, and I'm not even sure Docs to Go is 3rd party.

* All I have is my contacts, memos, calendar, and pics/movies (media).

Thanks for looking at my list of Qs, one by one, when you have time.

Happy New Year.