Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Google won't update. I took it to Sprint today and they said Google is no longer going to support the 755p. Newer 755p still work but the older ones don't. They said they cannot do anything to get my older version to update.

I have full insurance, but they say they are not responsible for Google and the fact that they are not offering updates. They say if I want Google I have to buy a new phone.

This doesn't feel fair!
    Try downloading the latest PalmOS version via your computer - version 2.0.2.0 and then hotsync it using the standard Palm quick install - that might work.

That is the version that I use and I bought my 755p when it first came out.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  3.    #3  
    I think Sprint did that. Then they said that once the treo insisted on the google update already it was too late to update the google.
    PMFA, but what part of Google are you talking about? Is it a new app?
  5.    #5  
    Google maps doesn't work anymore. It says to update and if I click "update" it takes me to the google webpage, but there is no link for an update, for the older version of the 755p. If someone previously updated the main software of their older 755p before the google problem started they can update, but not after. That update is only expected to work for a few more weeks, though anyway.

Google Maps has decided to entirely drop support for the 755p, and are committing to the pre.

Or so Sprint says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriel View Post
    I think Sprint did that. Then they said that once the treo insisted on the google update already it was too late to update the google.
    Sprint might have tried downloading it from your 755p not a computer - try downloading to a computer first - the reason I doubt they tried to download on a computer is because it would be too much a hassle for them - I could be wrong though - just download to your computer yourself and then try and hotsync it like normal.

Here's one place of many that you can get the "prc" file of the latest version of google maps for PalmOS:

http://mytreo.net/downloads/google-m...treo,1089.html

BTW, Google would have to drop support for "ALL PalmOS" if what you say is true - that would leave a lot of PalmOS Centro users pretty mad I would think, since Sprint still sells the PalmOS Centro's and Treo 755p's on their website. My .02cents worth.

One more thought - when they say they dropped all support for the 755p, I think they mean they will no longer update it - I would think the old version would still work.

Goog Luck
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 01/01/2010 at 03:28 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

7.    #7  
    I got garbage symbols when I clicked on the link to the prc
    I'm on VZW, and not having any problem with Google Maps. It sounds like Sprint is trying to force you to move off the 755p, but personally it's the best phone I've ever had!

BTW - cool Treo site, MouseGlider. Thanks for the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriel View Post
    I got garbage symbols when I clicked on the link to the prc

Meriel,

I just clicked on my own link that I posted and it works fine for me.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

10.    #10  
    I tried saving it as a file instead of just clicking on the link. It thinks it's a kindle book :-0 Thanks for trying. My computer must have a glitch not allowing me to download a prc.
  11.    #11  
    If anyone downloads the prc and it shows up as a kindle book, don't worry about it. Just syn as usual. It will work.

Thanks so much. I guess we are all on borrowed time, but we have it at least for now.
  12. cwb
    Google maps no longer works on my centro. i had to get a replacement and i can only get it to work if i install it from a very old backup. it will work once then stop working. i have to keep reinstalling if i want it to work.
    I continue to use the latest version of Google maps 2.0.2.0 which technically is designed for the Centro on my Treo 755p (see my above posted link where you can get it - post #6), and I can use it over and over by itself and use it thru "tryda" with no problems at all.

Re-download it and install again - it should work.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

14. cwb
    that's where i got it from originally but now it will not load after installation. I have tryda. i don't see my location feature which is what i want gmaps for. does tryda do that?
    Just an FYI-- I am testing a PRE to move from my 755P, I was so impressed with Spint NAV. Gave very clear directions--better than I have seen from Google on Treo 755P. I know not all can just go buy the latest phone- my 755P is still rocking just luv the new apps on Pre and Internet usability. NFL app nice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwb View Post
    that's where i got it from originally but now it will not load after installation. I have tryda. i don't see my location feature which is what i want gmaps for. does tryda do that?
    No, "my location" does not work on the 755p - only the Centro, and then only via cell tower triangulation as not even the Centro has a true un-assisted GPS. All "other" features and functions work as normal though.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann View Post
    Just an FYI-- I am testing a PRE to move from my 755P, I was so impressed with Spint NAV. Gave very clear directions--better than I have seen from Google on Treo 755P. I know not all can just go buy the latest phone- my 755P is still rocking just luv the new apps on Pre and Internet usability. NFL app nice as well.
    But can you Sling and or Orb, tether, video record, record both sides of a phone conversation and do remote desktop on a Pre with non hacked apps? Nope! The old classic 755p can - it's still a fairly powerful and flexible phone for its age

Get yourself a Freedom 2000 GPS keychain reciever and you can do the same thing

Just giving you a hard time - I hope if there is ever a Pre 2, that the hardware will be a little nicer and obviously the OS will be more mature. I am waiting for the Pixi to get a little better and wish there was a Treo WebOS in the future.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

A Treo WebOS? Hmm, is that not a Pixi? Just curious os what the treo hardware may have the Pre/Pixi don't.
    A Treo WebOS to me would be to add a D-pad (hard ware or software like the Classic app), an external Micro SD card, a smiley keyboard, full GPS, and wifi would be nice. A Pixi is close though.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

what apity
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast