1.    #1  
    Your Handera might do that kind of bitrate on a 802.11 connection just the same as a Visor with the Xircom airport module. We are talking about out on the street away from your own network. If you could get a data rate like that out on the street you are somewhere living in the future.

GPRS and 1xRTT look like they will deliver about 64Kbps. 1xRTT might be ahead on this a bit. Both technologies have promised a lot based on their theoretical maximum thruputs. For GPRS phones you have to find out how many channels of data will upload and download from the phone. It is a bit like cable modems - one speed for download (usually faster than upload) and one speed for upload. GPRS is here already in most of the VoiceStream and part of the Cingular network but looks like we have to wait for a software update from Handspring to make Treo work with it. All I want is fast email access and IM - 32kbps should be plenty. RIMs network does about 8200bps today and the new i705 Cingular data network is probably no faster.
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    Your Handera might do that kind of bitrate on a 802.11 connection just the same as a Visor with the Xircom airport module. We are talking about out on the street away from your own network. If you could get a data rate like that out on the street you are somewhere living in the future...
    First off, how about putting your responses in the thread to which you're responding?

Secondly, you're right, I'm talking about an 802.11b connection at home and work (where I spend well over half my time). Out on the street I'm limited to a 56K wireless modem. What was the treo, 14.4? Lovely. But then again, it is GSM so I could drive over 6 hrs to get coverage and use it as a cell phone if so I desired. At $400, it's a steal.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 02/25/2002 at 05:25 PM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Now, Now, D-R, what did I tell you about the elevation of them guns?
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Now, Now, D-R, what did I tell you about the elevation of them guns?
    My apologies.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Secondly, you're right, I'm talking about an 802.11b connection at home and work (where I spend well over half my time). Out on the street I'm limited to a 56K wireless modem. What was the treo, 14.4? Lovely. But then again, it is GSM so I could drive over 6 hrs to get coverage and use it as a cell phone if so I desired. At $400, it's a steal.
    At home and at work, where you may find your 802.11 connection, you may also find a computer, nullifying any need to use a small Treo or Handera for web browsing...

The treo is useful because it can use international cellular networks for simple web access at a very small size. Not for flaming in your favorite forums while at home.
    Originally posted by jwardell
    At home and at work, where you may find your 802.11 connection, you may also find a computer, nullifying any need to use a small Treo or Handera for web browsing...
    Not exactly nullifying any need WRT to web browsing.

The treo is useful because it can use international cellular networks for simple web access at a very small size. Not for flaming in your favorite forums while at home.
    As can the handera (as pointed out by my comment regarding the 56k wireless modem). All said and done, it'll set you back $450 ($300 for the pda, $150 for the modem - retail). But, with another slot for memory expansion and the cf slot available for anything, I'll not have pigeonholed myself into wireless only.

Regarding flaming, was anything I mentioned inaccurate? I could've posted a little more pleasantly, but I did apologize. I do thank you for your candor. It's appreciated.
    -Joshua
    3G Technology CDMA being planned by SprintPCS is capable of up to 2mbps. Sprint plans on bringing its 3G network online this summer, but don't expect speeds to acheive more than 144kbps initially. I believe that Sprint will inially roll out under CDMA2000, wich is ort of 2.5G, or 144kbps. Eventually Sprint will migrate over to WCDMA, a 3G technology of up to 2mbps. http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/bu...lder_id=310593

I beleive Sprint must have big plans for the Treo, especially the Treo 270. Isn't HS rumored to be producing a CDMA version of the Treo? So imagine, Sprint must be asking for a CDMA2000 version of the color Treo from HS!!! I believe 144kbps is adequate for some rudimentary streaming video and good audio. Also, web browsing on the color Treo would be tremendously enhanced over the current Treo's 9.6kbps trickle.