Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    i know a lot of people are 'moving on' from the Centro to newer, flashier smartphones... i see iphones and BB Bold's everywhere... but, i still think my centro is cool, and here's a few reasons why.

its Black! :-) with a slick silver band, its light and small and i can do ton's of stuff with it.

i can stream Youtube, and live TV (ORB)

load 8 GB of songs on my memory card, skin pTunes to look flash (Sleek Enhanced (Green)), display album art, and not have to worry about having ALL the media tags PERFECT for my music files in order to play a group of songs by an artist single (f*&K i hate iTunes!)

and i get play, next, previous control of the music player (using Headset Control) from my headset (Palm 2in1 Headset Pro).

and i can create icon shortcuts to any website i like (with sharklinks), so i can shop on Ebay, check out weather satellite images, everything with Google Mobile, learn with Wikipedia, and rant on TreoCentral ;-)

... then, stylise and change the icons to look just how i want (Appicon)

... flick screen gesture (semi) multitask using the cards metaphor (TealOS)

... upload photos to Facebook

... find My Location ;-)

... with all my contacts calendar and email sync'd

... and being control my awesomely set-up Palm OS with a real keyboard and mouse at 200% resolution on my PC in the office (Keylink)

and play Bejewelled.

so, just saying... pretty cool little mobile device, which don't see giving up just yet.
    Last edited by chacalau; 11/25/2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: always more to add
    ... Read ebooks with auto scroll (ereader)

... Watch avi movies (TCPMP)

... Get email just like a BB (Chattermail)

... Record videos to card

... Internet radio/streaming (Kinoma or PTunes)

... Update Twitter (MoTwit)

... Connect wirelessly to laptop, access my network at work (PDANet or Tethering plan)

... Backup to my card every night and selectively restore

... Voicedial (don't really use it as it is faster to use the d-pad)

... durable - dropped it many times on hard surfaces.

Oh, yeah, I really want a BB or Pre. I could have anything on Verizon and will stick with my Centro
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The ONLY thing that makes me think about leaving the Centro is the screen size. By any other standard, the Centro is a 5th generation SmartPhone while everybody else is still tinkering around in the 1st to 3rd generation world. I will eventually give up my Centro, but not until the other's evolve a little further.

But, oh those beautiful, huge screens, want it, want it, want it.

Stop me before I hurt myself.
    - change UI to a dark them using SkinUI and the Shadows theme.

- read my Bible with Biblereader from Olivetree

- Draw and make personal alarms with Diddlebug
    Quote Originally Posted by DRKayak View Post
    The ONLY thing that makes me think about leaving the Centro is the screen size.
    I would have to add keyboard. I need a larger keyboard as well. (getting too old for this stuff)

This is why I'm considering the Storm2. Additionally, it sync to Outlook directly to your laptop. Having a hard time embracing the cloud thing. All PIMs will sync with the Storm2.

The Centro is by far the best and most solid device I've owned but I think I'm gonna move on because of the things I've mentioned.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    - tether with my laptop for free (pdanet) (I'd have to jailbrake an ipod for that)

- physical keyboard AND touch screen

- and most importantly Palm Dekstop!!!!!

I've been looking for a a new device as well with a big screen. But, there really is no single phone that does (for me) what a Centro does.

Although in the coming year, I think some of the Blackberry's might do it...for now, I'm out of contract and waiting....
    I have both but actually prefer the larger screen and keyboard of my 755p - I can also do voice dial without training - tried to buy that software for my wife's Centro but it was a no go :-(

All in all my 755p does everything and sometimes more that what the new phones can do with the exception that it is not as jazzy.

Just wish it had "my location" that only works on the Centro - so I bought a used Freedom 2000GPS receiver and downloaded a free software application called "Where Am I" - although more accurate than cell triangulation, it only works with the GPS reciever - small, but you have to have it with you :-(
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    What's really cool about my Centro is that I save $30/mo.

... by foregoing a data plan. (The Centro was the last PDA-phone that VZW allowed us to buy without a data plan.)

Or, put another way, with my savings, the
    - 1st year I bought a lifetime Peek (e-mail and texts) and an MP3 player.
    - 2nd year, I bought a Sony Reader and accessories,
    - 3rd year ...

I have my Centro set up to toggle-on and -off the per-minute data plan. I've only felt the need to turn on data once, to send a picture. I waste too much time on the web as it is. (Like now, for instance!)
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    This reads like chapter II of the prior thread: Centro gets No Respect!
    Don't foget about Slingplayer. Droid, pre, and iphone can't do that over a 3G data connection.
    I am with you on that!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

I have been looking hard at the HTC Hero. I can't justify paying $30 a month more for the HTC. I have examined different phones of the years and none can touch the Centro (palm os) for simple efficiency.

I haven't found a phone that can launch apps so quickly or efficiently.

-Initiate - I can just start typing from 2day or Initiate and it will allow me search the internet by keyword, bring up any contact by name, company, etc.,

-Mcphling - Hold down the home key and it brings up my most recent 14 apps

-Quick Switch - Hold down any of the hard keys and a list of my customized apps comes up in order. Or I can just click any of the buttons until the app I am looking for comes up.

-Butler - I can hold down buttons on the keyboard and launch preassigned apps to the 26 buttons on the keyboard.

-Fast Launch - I can briefly hold the keyboard keys down and it brings up a list of all the apps that start with that letter.

-Crystal popup - pop up calculator, notes, timer, etc.

-Weblinks - save html bookmarks as applications for quick access

-Genius - great search app takes over the find function

-Tiny font I can see so many more fields and rows in Splash Money or Id than that on the HTC or iphone
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    i agree! part of my job is to review and recommed smartphones for executive staff, and my personal preference is still the Centro...

mostly theres two aps that i couldnt live without...

1. Progect. ive been using it for about 10 years and its?still the best pocket Progect Manager!
    2. PsLink. this makes my device a totally interactive wiki kinda web environment.

what other devices can do these two things? please i would really like to know if there is something else.

imagine a PalmOS smartphone with a large screen... sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    i agree! part of my job is to review and recommed smartphones for executive staff, and my personal preference is still the Centro...

.....imagine a PalmOS smartphone with a large screen... sigh.
    755p - Large Screen and Keyboard
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    755p - Large Screen and Keyboard
    I too miss my Treo 700's larger keyboard and screen. But those are the only two things I missed about it. Reset city.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I have to say my 755p has been very stable for how I use it and with all the apps I have and use - it tends to reset itself maybe once every 10 to 12 days, but if it didn't reset itself, I would reset it myself as proactive thing to keep the memory clean and defraged - its just me though - I'm kind of anal that way.

Safeguard tells me I have 93 programs and the only one (well maybe two) that gives me trouble when I use it, and that is Mini Opera 4.2 (and I tested all configs with Java etc.), but if I clear out all the cookies and history after I use it then I have no problems. The other program that tends to give me problems every once and a while and is the same program that gives the Centro problems is Express. I guess I could keep my reset to even less if I didn't use Express, but I like it and use it at least a couple of times everyday.

Now my wifes Centro could probably go at least 30 days before I would have to reset it as she simply does not maintain it all and doesn't clear any logs of any type.

So I will have to say that if my 755p were all stock against her all stock Centro - I'd say resets would be about the same. But IMHO I have my 755p tweaked to the extreme and it is overclocked on every program from the standard 208/312mhz to 208/520mhz and can do everything I want, so I am happy.

Some of my favorite programs that I use almost everyday are: RDM Remote Desktop, SlingPlayer, SAG, tryda/Google Maps/Freedom 2000 GPS, Kinoma/Orb, Express, and many DA's as I like to do what little multitasking that PalmOS can do when using the other normal daily apps while polling 5 different email accounts. My 755p isn't as snazzy as the new phones out there, but it keeps me happy cause it can do so many different things reliably. I'll stop gushing now.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 01/05/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

I have my centro tweaked out and running at 520mhz too. I have had maybe 2 resets in the past year. I used to have atleast one reset a week until I got cleanstart and tealscan. it is rock solid now.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    jayzee,

I think to many people go for the jazzy phones with with a non mature OS and griping about what it can't do and are waiting for the next revision to take care of the missing functions and to fix bugs - there is something to be said of PalmOS even though it is old but mature - take out some of the non stable Palm apps both free and paid ones that are available (yes there are some bad ones), tune for reliability and your needs, and you can have a pretty stable phone that can do almost everything you could want.

I am embbarassed to say it has taken me this long to fully tweak my 755p to my liking (bought one day after it came out in May 2007?) and I still am learning more wonderful shortcuts and things that it can do.

I have heard of cleanstart & tealscan - I 'll have to check them out again - always tweaking - it never ends.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Palm finally got in right with the centro IMO. And then they decided to change the OS and dump garnett altogether, very upsetting. I have been tempted in the past by the iphone and now the Android. I have searched the web for apps that I use everyday that I need. Most of them I can't find for the droid or they are inferior. I think I will keep the centro till it breaks and I can't find another one.
    Yup, I agree. In fact I bought a brand new spare 755p for less than the price of insurance and deductable just incase - and since I backup daily and have spare memory cards just in case one craps out, I can be up and running in very little time - activate new phone, slip in current or backup card and I am ready to go.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast