1.    #1  
    With HP announcing the first phone based on PocketPC Phone today, what is the future of the Treo. MS and HP among others are targeting the same markets as the Treo. The Treo is innovative and the first of its kind, but could it get washed away by 2.5G and MS PocketPC Phone?
    Well that depends on whether you think PocketPC can beat out PalmOS in overall sales volume. Personally, I don't think any PocketPC product is ever going to take a big enough chunk out of PalmOS despite all the hype Microsoft likes to generate. Have you ever tried to use one of those things? If my mom can't figure it out, it's not gonna fly as a cell phone. Also, compared to PalmOS devices they're huge! Can you imagine the size of one with a phone built in? Besides, most people are going to be looking for the organizer functions over the MP3, multimedia, and such. I think the Treo's simplicity is going to help it win out. Especially once the color version comes out.
    DLPanther
    "When All Else Fails, Improvise!"
  3.    #3  
    Good Points DLPanther. But I think that the target market is not your mother (unless she is part of the corporate scene). The phone looks pretty small, with a color display and a simplified feature set. It was described as "A phone with some PDA features".

I don't know, Handspring needs to get the color Treo out ASAP. Corporations hear Microsoft and HP (Compaq to be part of HP soon) who already have enormous pull in the corporate world. They are also offering the soup to nuts solutions from the phone, development environment and servers.

I think that simplicity can win over complexity, and it is a huge market. I think that this is the smartest move Handspring could make, I hope they are successful! And they were first with a serious device. My only worry is that they are ignoring the significance of color displays, this is a big mistake.
    The last thing we need is a PC shrinked down to fit a phone!

Do you have a pic for the HP phone thingy? I would be interested to see what it looks like.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    The SmartPhone looks nice...but the Pocket PC Phone is a kludge IMO.
    ugh. All kinds of MS-Phone news today. MS vs. Symbian. MS vs Handspring. Symbian vs Handspring. Motorola/RIM VS Everybody.

Man, Handspring is out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire. It's only going to get uglier and more confused.

If handspring gets the damn treos out in volume and get that price down, they'll grab a monster chunk of the market, maybe enough to stay above the fracas. One can dream.
    Originally posted by beaker
    With HP announcing the first phone based on PocketPC Phone today, what is the future of the Treo. MS and HP among others are targeting the same markets as the Treo. The Treo is innovative and the first of its kind, but could it get washed away by 2.5G and MS PocketPC Phone?
    What about 2.5G? It's upgradeable anyway. From the Web site, more specifically here
    * GPRS upgradeable upon availability
    Regards
    As a now 4 time owner of HS devices (2 Deluxe and 2 Prisms) and 3 Palms before that I think I am a pretty nailed down Palm customer. However, the new Phone Edition from Microsoft has some features I want. Specifically it comes with a built-in terminal server that will allow me to connect to client networks. There is a VNC client for palm that works on my Prism, but it lacks the security you get from terminal server.

Also, the Outlook connectivity. The sync between the phone and my existing Outlook mail client will be much more transparent than my current Prism setup (which I am sure Treo would emulate).

I use my prism now with my Sprint phone to check email. That's about all I do online. If I could do that with ONE device, and have that device use the programs I already have for mail and contact management, and be able to connect to client networks then I would buy it.....

Waiting to see what M$ delivers.
    Visor Enthusiast and Innogear/Geodiscovery basher.
    Don't forget this VERY important fact for all the people that are not CEO's or CFO's at a Fortune 500 Company - The Treo is between $399-$600. Any PPC Phone would be $700-$1,000. People are more likely to get a Treo for the pure cheapness of it. I could possibly afford a $400-$500 phone, but I would never consider one that is $700+
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Do you HONESTLY think the phone would cost any more than other similar phones? $1000? You must be crazy
    Visor Enthusiast and Innogear/Geodiscovery basher.