1.    #1  
    OK, I've got a HandyGPS Pro sitting here, and it can see satellites just fine. There's just one problem: I really don't like the software that was included with it. I'm sure that some people might enjoy it, but I'm not one of them. Does anyone know of any good GPS-compatible software out there? Mapopolis seems to be interesting at first blush, but I'll have to wait until I get home to try it on my Visor. What other options are out there? I suppose that my short list for the 'perfect' software would probably be:
    • small footprint
    • vector based (raster is nice for desktops, but smaller is better for PDAs IMO, see above)
    • customizable POIs (ideally with customizable fields)
    • fully editable maps (either on the desktop or handheld, since my street didn't exist on the 1990 TIGER files)

I don't know. Perhaps I'm spoiled because I used to use a real GIS with full editing capabilities on a 486 computer with 8MB of RAM and DOS (Atlas GIS 2.1). Mapopolis might have all of these, but since I've not tried it I won't know yet.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  2.    #2  
    Originally posted by Toby
    [...]
    • small footprint
    • vector based (raster is nice for desktops, but smaller is better for PDAs IMO, see above)
    • customizable POIs (ideally with customizable fields)
    • fully editable maps (either on the desktop or handheld, since my street didn't exist on the 1990 TIGER files)
    [...]
    Well, I suppose that I'll just talk to myself...Mapopolis seems to fit some of my requirements. I tried it this morning with the free demo maps for the two parishes (counties to the rest of the U.S.) applicable to my daily drive to and from work. As far as tracking was concerned, I was pretty impressed. Its location indicator was slightly off the road to the left, but it was consistently off, so I suspect that it may be an issue with the map. Even so, it managed to keep up with my current position. I'm curious how the other non-free maps might fare (the program is free, but maps are either paid for individually or through subscription). It's not a perfect solution considering that the POIs don't have fully customizable fields and the maps aren't fully editable (there is a program which can convert maps from MapInfo, but one has to contact them for more information). However, considering that even the free map had the section of the street which I live on (which wasn't constructed until the mid 90s) and the correct street name (which was changed only 3 or 4 years ago), I'm considering purchasing a yearly subscription and archiving the maps.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Did yours come with the Rand McNally StreetFinder Plus?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    Did yours come with the Rand McNally StreetFinder Plus?
    Rand McNally Deluxe Streetfinder 2001 is what the CD case says. It doesn't suit my tastes. I find the desktop to be somewhat unstable on my system (it crashed fairly consistently if I tried to execute multiple address searches). The maps look pretty enough, but I'm more concerned about function. If I get function _and_ looks, bonus, but my experience with this one wasn't positive.
    Try RouteUSA and GPS Portable Navigator . I bought RouteUSA and it's not configurable, but does offer directions, but doesn't sound like it will help. Portable Internet I havn't researched yet. Hope this helps.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Try RouteUSA and GPS Portable Navigator . I bought RouteUSA and it's not configurable, but does offer directions, but doesn't sound like it will help. Portable Internet I havn't researched yet. Hope this helps.
    Well, I appreciate the info, but neither of them looks any better than Mapopolis so far.
    You might also try Delorme's Street Atlas USA.

It should work with any GPS that is NMEA Compliant, which I believe the HandyGPS Pro is.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    You might also try Delorme's Street Atlas USA.
    I'll check it out when time allows today. Thanks. Do you have any direct experience with it?
    It should work with any GPS that is NMEA Compliant, which I believe the HandyGPS Pro is.
    Yep, it is.
    I have been using a Magellan GPS for about a year now with my Prism. I have used the mapping program that came with it, Solus 2.0 from Delorme and Mapopolis. After extensive use I have come to prefer Mapoplis with the Enhanced map subscription. It is fast, easy to use and supports VFS external memory. When I need a map in my travels, I can download it from the web site and copy it to my 128meg CF card. When I need the map, I can insert the CF card into the Prism and run the program and it will transfer the map into the Prism ram memory. I can then insert my GPS for tracking purposes. It also allows you to markup maps and save them as maplets.

I also have been using Delorme's Topo 3.0 with my Prism and GPS. The major problem I have found is that they are NOT real topo maps in that they do not show many of the man made features that a standard topo map displays.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by halldp
    I have been using a Magellan GPS for about a year now with my Prism. I have used the mapping program that came with it, Solus 2.0 from Delorme and Mapopolis. After extensive use I have come to prefer Mapoplis with the Enhanced map subscription. It is fast, easy to use and supports VFS external memory. When I need a map in my travels, I can download it from the web site and copy it to my 128meg CF card. When I need the map, I can insert the CF card into the Prism and run the program and it will transfer the map into the Prism ram memory. I can then insert my GPS for tracking purposes. It also allows you to markup maps and save them as maplets.
    All of the above are why Mapopolis is my current front runner. I only wish that there was a way to tie a bit more information to the POIs in the Maplets.
    I also have been using Delorme's Topo 3.0 with my Prism and GPS. The major problem I have found is that they are NOT real topo maps in that they do not show many of the man made features that a standard topo map displays.
    Thanks for another bit of info to check out when I check out the other Delorme stuff.
    Sorry Toby, I have no direct experience with it. It just came to mind, as I ran across it when I was looking into getting a GPS and I thought I would throw it out there.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    HI,

I ran across a software package, which I haven't yet tried due to time constraints but sounds interesting. It allows you to import your own maps as graphics so you could have real topo maps or maps of lakes if you can find them. As I'm typing, I'm also thinking you could use arial (spelling?) photos too.

Its at www.pathaway.com. Has anyone out there tried it?

Meanwhile I have used Mapopolis and like it.
    Toby,
    When I get back to the house (possibly in a week ) I'll forward an email to you from the Mapopolis people stating that they were working on a POI feature upgrade, this may help firm up your decision. Don't know when it will be released, or if it will cost more, though.