Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'm looking for a memo replacement.. I've looked at a few like Meteor, CryptoPad, QuickMemo, but still haven't found something I really like..

What are your favorites??

I dont care about security. I do want to be able to open the app and immediately start writing without pressing "New" - like the built in memo...

Thanks!

Hitman
    I've been using WordSmith for both memo's and DOC's. It's simply the best as far as I'm concerned.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I second the WordSmith recommendation. I love it.

Even if you choose not to register it, you can still use it as an enhanced MemoPad and DOC reader.

Of course, if you need to sync with MSWord, then registration is a must, and in my opinion, worth every penny.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I've had wordsmith for a year now and I do love it! I'm looking for a something outlinish / graphical.. sorta thing for the Memo.... maybe Im just looking for something different...

Hitman
    For outlines, you might want to check out ThoughtManagerThoughtManager by Hands High Software. It is a bit spartan, but I love it.

-Trotsky
    Just wanted to add my $0.02. WordSmith is a great "Memo+" program; as GSR13 adds, you can use it w/o the sync option indefinitely for Memos and Sync.

However, it's ability to hotsync with Word documents, preserve styles (bold, underline, italics) and use fonts is truly excellent. It allows me to keep all the important documents that I would normally store on my PC with me at all times, on my Clie (and before that, my VDX).

One thing that I found interesting: a couple of reviews I read of WordSmith, out on the web, said that it was the most compatible app with M/S Word docs -- that it transferred changes made to the document on the PDA better than any other Palm app (including Documents to Go). The writer also used Pocket PCs, and thought it did a better job than PocketWord under CE (!).

I got Documents to Go for free when I bought my Clie -- never installed it. I just stick to WordSmith.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I agree with everybody on wordsmith, I use it and it is great for word docs. But as a memo replacement I prefer CJag notes- http://www.cjag.com/Products/cjag_notes.htm. It does what you want in opening as you write. It handles dates, catagorizing, numbering and bullets very nicely. A big improvement on the built in memo that is very intuitive and easy to use.
    FYI.

You can write in the built-in Memo Pad application without pressing the "New" Button. Just Tap Memo Pad and start writing in the Graffiti area.

Originally posted by hitman

I dont care about security. I do want to be able to open the app and immediately start writing without pressing "New" - like the built in memo...

Thanks!

Hitman
    Qoute:
    "You can write in the built-in Memo Pad application without pressing the "New" Button. Just Tap Memo Pad and start writing in the Graffiti area."

He knows that.
    That is what he meant when he said:
    "without pressing "New" - like the built in memo..."

Not all "replacements" do this.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    He knows that.
    thanks...
    Thanks for the replies - please keep'em coming... I'm still searching for that special memo.. I'm going to try the Cjag... funny remember using the Cjag favorites but stopped because it's sooooo slow.. i'll their memo..

About Wordsmith - i bought it a year ago - as soon as I tried it I knew I couldnt live without it.. I was right.. it is great software.

thanks,

Hitman
    You might give Daynotez from Natara a try. It is sold as a journaling program which it is fabulus as however, I don't do very much writing on my PDA and even though I own and like Wordsmith, it's kind of overkill for me.

I use DN almost exclusively because of these features

Desktop component
    Bulleted or numbered lists
    automatically create todo from within text.
    Templates

Their support is awesome

www.natara.com

Give it a try

Clark
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>
    The only thing I don't like about WordSmith's memo capabilities is that TealNotes won't work with it... I use DayNotez as well but not for regular memos. I still like the idea of having all the memos in a list on one screen. I think MemoPlus may be the only choice for me. There are suprisingly few "dfferent" memo apps; either they are just like the rest, or they aren't really memo apps at all!

Cheers,
    Ark
    I also use MemoPlus for a memo replacement. For it's size it is a good application for quick notes, and, for freehand drawings. The drawings don't sync to desktop (unless you make the drawing a template, and then open the template on the desktop) but the notes do. You can also set an alarm to the memo or drawing, too.

Sadly, you must start each new memo by tapping the new memo icon.
  14. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cfralick
    You might give Daynotez from Natara a try. It is sold as a journaling program which it is fabulus as however, I don't do very much writing on my PDA and even though I own and like Wordsmith, it's kind of overkill for me.

I use DN almost exclusively because of these features

Desktop component
    Bulleted or numbered lists
    automatically create todo from within text.
    Templates

Their support is awesome
    I love DayNotez too...although I use WordSmith for larger documents, I probably use DayNotez more often since I use it for taking meeting notes.
    Wordsmith is the BEST out there...after I got my stowaway for $49 (Open Item, Best Buy!), I looked around for a good memo pad replacement - the 4,000 character limit and lack of formatting was really getting to me.

DTG was considered, but ruled it out immediately because of its price. I am not paying $40-$70 for SOFTWARE for my Palm, plus it said it took up 2-4 megs I think. WAY TOO MUCH.

Next thing I saw in PalmGear was Wordsmith...I tried the FREE trial (you can actually use it!) and loved it immediately...the syncing between my computer and my Visor was GREAT, it was great being able to do EVERYTHING on my Visor and only press print on the computer. I went ahead to buy it...but was still thinking $30 was a lot for the poor high school senior I am...so I e-mailed the company, asking about a student rate. Low and behold, the gave me a FREE registration code! They have their moneys worth though, I have already gotten two people to buy Stowaways/Wordsmith for their Visor, and they are also loving it.

The only thing I would add to Wordsmith would be better table support (creating tables on the visor) and add a password/privacy feature to the memos. Currently, it uses the built in privacy for memos, but has a great password protect for the Docs. If you are concerned about Security, MemoSafe is the only way to go. The perfect combo in my opinion would be MemoSafe AND Wordsmith as one.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    I have been playing around with Teal Tools for the last couple of days and find this fills a need in the standard memo application or any other application for that matter. With this you can add bulletts, lists, date, time and other things as well. There are other tools included that make this an interesting add-on.
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>
    You might look at Memo Leaf at the following website:

www.redwood-creative.com

I like it because it supports color and it's easy to locate the note you want to review because they are not stored in folders but as a listed display the first line of the note. Also, it's cheap! You do have to hit new, however. I've tried Memo Plus as well and liked it but it's $$$$$.
    :menu:
    HandStory 2.x Baby !

? Need I say More ?
    RIG | HEAT | MAIL
    <br><div align="center"><EMBED src="http://xzaver.tripod.com/Xzaver/X.swf" WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=30></div><BR></BR>
    ClieSource.com You guide to everything Clié
    WordSmith hands down .
    Anyone have crashes after a hotsync? About half the time, the first time I open Handstory after a sync, I get a fatal error when exiting the program. After the reset, can open and exit without problems.

Also, am all of a sudden unable to 'clip' certain pages, such as Minnesota Lottery Winning numbers. Used to be able to, but now can't.

Other than above, think Handstory is fabulous! Have sent them an email with the problems, but thought maybe someone here has had the problems and know the resolution to.

Thanks in advance,

RJ
    RJuhl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast