1.    #1  
    Beware! According to the description on the Handspring site, you may surf the we with the Treo at no additonal cost as long as you use the minutes in the plan with Voicestream. I have spoken to more than one rep at voicestream and they all say you have to pay the extra 29.95 per month on top of your normal bill to get web access. Only the SMS messing is included free in your minutes. This adds greatly to the cost and cause me to go with the Sprint device for my prism. (P.S.) It works great!!!!.
    Mike
    I think that the jury may still be out on this one, at least until gprs comes on. there are quite a few people who have managed to use normal minutes to access data with their own ISP. Honestly, I think the only way to know for sure whether or not it will work is to try it.
    I surf the web at no extra cost using my Visorphone and my NORMAL Voicestream account. It's just _really_ slow! (what is it? 9600 baud or something)

Never an extra charge on my account. It's really more suitable for getting my e-mail or using AIM.
    Originally posted by jaytee
    r using AIM.
    Do you have to maintain a connection for AIM, or is it a rig of SMS?
    When I first got my VisorPhone, I subscribed to the $30/month datastream add-on service from VoiceStream, thinking I needed it to do internet calls. This was completely unnecessary and counter-productive, because VoiceStream was NEVER able to recognize which calls were data calls and which were regular calls. This meant that NONE of my thousands of available data minutes a month were ever reflected on my bill, and all my data calls came out of my regular usage. I ended up calling VoiceStream EVERY MONTH to get credits applied to my account for these calls. It didn't help that apparently NO csr's at voicestream had any idea what the visorphone was, nor were any of them equipped to deal with supporting it.

The visorphone itself knew when I was making a data call, because the "in use" blinking light did the faster "data call" blink, but VoiceStream was never able to properly track it. So, I cancelled DataStream and have been able to make regular old data calls out of my regular bucket of minutes ever since.

As for AIM, there are 2 options -- one is to rig your SMS to use voicestream's SMS/AIM implementation (which I tried out but ended up getting too confused about). The other is to make a regular data call and use AIM's palmOS client. The latter is definitely a better experience usability-wise.

Originally posted by jaytee
    I surf the web at no extra cost using my Visorphone and my NORMAL Voicestream account. It's just _really_ slow! (what is it? 9600 baud or something)

Never an extra charge on my account. It's really more suitable for getting my e-mail or using AIM.
    In California on Cingular, it DOES NOT work unless you pay them for data connect, $4.95 and $0.15 A MINUTE, and you must dial into a seperate, 3rd party ISP. Minutes cannot be taken from your regular bucket. If this sounds ridiculous, it is. Apparently Cingular is not providing their "wireless web" feature for the Treo like they do for other phones.
    I have Voicestream Get More plan since May of 2001 and never paid any additional fees to surf the web using the internal 14.4k modem. I just pull it out of my pool of monthly minutes.

I setup my own dial up server since I have Road Runner at home and it works like a charm!

Stan
    I can't wait until Voicestream comes to CA to give Cingular some competition... until then I guess its fifteen cents a minute... kind of puts a damper on those mobile ICQ sessions!
    On Handspring's website, they say the Treo 180 has a built in 9600bps modem. Why did they downgrade from the 14.4kbps modem in the VisorPhone?

I thought I remember reading that the VisorPhone had a built in 14.4kbps modem.

Anyone has any comments on this?

Stan

http://www.handspring.com/products/t...#capabilities8
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I'm on Cingular, in CA, and I've been using my Visor Phone for months without having to pay the $ 0.15 a minute. Just tell them you have a WAP phone (get a model number from their web site, just in case they ask), let them enable their OTHER data service (the one that costs $5 or something a month and uses your regular minutes) and surf away. I use Blazer after 9 pm on weekdays and all weekend long for free.

Apparently, Cingular's network has no way of knowing that you're using a VisorPhone instead of the other WAP-type phones.

A Data call is just a data call, as far as the network is concerned. Which leads me to wonder why they feel justified in charging Visor Phone customers so much more.

I don't know what they would do if they found out I was doing this, but as far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly ethical. Why should I have to let myself be ripped off by a gouging company that wants to charge me tons more money for an identical service because I want to use a different kind of phone?

Handspring really needs to get these Wireless companies in control, or the Treo will hit some major roadblocks in the next year or so. I don't know anyone who would be willing to pay for a Treo, a monthly ISP, a wireless phone plan, AND an extra "per-minute" charge for data use.

Paying "per-minute" for the internet brings me back to the old AOL days. It's so Stone Age.

The sad part is, that if they had one bundled charge of $50 a month or so that would include a good supply of minutes for phone use, and unlimited email and web access, they'd have ten times as many customers, and make a heck of a lot more money than they do on the minute portion of the population that can afford to blow a couple hundred bucks a month on his or her cell phone.

Competition is definitely needed around here.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Frankly I can't believe Handspring hasn't already thought of this. They designed the device, they know how it works.

Why would they write on their OWN WEBSITE that you have to subscribe to a per-minute service, when clearly, you don't? It can only hurt their sales.
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    Frankly I can't believe Handspring hasn't already thought of this. They designed the device, they know how it works.

Why would they write on their OWN WEBSITE that you have to subscribe to a per-minute service, when clearly, you don't? It can only hurt their sales.
    One of the major carriers (Cingular) does charge.

And Handspring designed the phone, not the pricing plans and policies at the carriers.

And anyway this whole free data access deal with VoiceStream is not exactly official. Or if official, they certainly don't want to trumpet it while they still can get people (especially execs on office spending accounts) to fork over the $30. a month. (Or that's what they used to charge.) You don't know how many VS reps I had to to talk to find out for sure that I really didn't have to subscribe to the data service.

If the Treo really does take off, I assume most people are still going to use it mainly as a phone. And if or when lots of people start racking up the data minutes, you can assume they are going to start locking the data access on the sim cards by default.
    Originally posted by dennisl

One of the major carriers (Cingular) does charge.
    Sigh. Look, you just don't get it. Cingular DOES NOT CHARGE anything for wireless internet beyond a flat monthly fee of a few dollars.

The problem is that Handspring is saying you must make a data call to a 3rd party ISP (a service that WOULD incur a $0.15 / minute charge) when in fact, it seems likely that the Treo can be used with Cingular's own wireless internet service at only the cost of airtime.

The question is, why are they saying this on their website, when it can only cost them sales. I know I'm not buying until I can confirm I can use the phone's data features without paying a per minute charge.
    Handspring is saying what Cingular want them to say. They get the plans from Cingular and post it on their web site..that is it. They have no say over the plans and cannot do anythign about Cingular screwing their customers over with an exhorbitant data connection fee.

Originally posted by jchristopher

Sigh. Look, you just don't get it. Cingular DOES NOT CHARGE anything for wireless internet beyond a flat monthly fee of a few dollars.

The problem is that Handspring is saying you must make a data call to a 3rd party ISP (a service that WOULD incur a $0.15 / minute charge) when in fact, it seems likely that the Treo can be used with Cingular's own wireless internet service at only the cost of airtime.

The question is, why are they saying this on their website, when it can only cost them sales. I know I'm not buying until I can confirm I can use the phone's data features without paying a per minute charge.
    The wireless carrier needs to know that you want data service AKA wireless internet service. The type of phone does not matter. It just needs to be internet ready or GPRS.
    In SC my plan is $49.99 for 700m and 6.99 for wireless internet and $.99 for caller ID. I use my home ISP to get e-mail and surf the web from the VP.
    The free nights and weekends sure come in handy for FREE web surfing on the VP. I average about a total of 25 hours each month. Total bill has been $65.03 last several times.
    Good luck getting the TREO online.Just tell the carrier your phone is internet ready. The brand does not matter.
    LARRY

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING!!!

When I first got my Motorola Timeport, which has an IR port that lets me use the phone as a modem for my Palm to get on-line, I looked into VoiceStreams service information on their web site. This was before they were really aware of how many people wanted to do it, I think, and the information was sparse and often confusing. After a couple e-mails with a rep, they told me that I didn't need to pay extra to use the phone as a modem, that it just came out of my "pool" of minutes.

If I wanted to, I could pay extra for internet access on my phone (which is WAP capable), but you know what that really is? A fricking ISP! They essentially provide a special phone number to connect to so that you can access WAP content. I used the same phone number to get my POP mail with my PalmVx. Once I figured out the scam, I just started dialing my own ISP that I use at home, and it worked without any problems.

Instead of asking them to "enable" your "phone" for "internet access", just try it out! I would bet money that they can't tell what kind of call you're making unless you call their special number (which is what they track, not the actual type of call), and you'd be able to use your Treo, or any other phone with modem capability, to dial into your favorite local ISP (or your own computer!) to access the 'net, mail, etc.

What's the worst that can happen? If they do figure it out, which is a long shot, they'll charge you those fees they would have charged if you asked them about it anyway. Chances are, though, they'll never know, and you'll just be using your regular minutes to get connected.

Again, don't tell them, just do it! Connect to an ISP you already use.

-Greg
    I have found that the VS Customer Reps are pretty clueless. Having worked in a call center once-upon-a-time, this doesn't surprise me. VS's data service is just an ISP. If you don't have a dial-up ISP you might want to use thiers. (I wouldn't). If you do have access to a dial-up account, and use that, It will come out of your regular voice minute pool. I've been doing this with my Visor Phone for 8 months, and have never had a problem. I never told VS _anything_ about my phone.
    I've been using my Treo for the last week on Voicestream, in the Boston area, and I didn't have to tell Voicestream anything.

I just switched my SIM card and set up a cheap Earthlink account ($9.99 a month) to dial into.

This has been working fine, but I'm still looking forward to GPRS.

-Brian