Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been wanting a Dictionary for some time now. In light of an earlier post by dietrichbohn located here, I decided to do some testing.

I, like Dietrich, would love to have an all-in-one solution. Something that would work with WordSmith and work by itself, but share the same word DB. This would be ideal as it would reduce the size and number of DB's I would have to carry.

So, here is what I did. I am registered user of WordSmith and use the included SpellSmith/Thes. This app is actually written by DDH Software. I downloaded the DEMO version of the DDH Software Spell Checker and Thes. I installed the included files and DB's. Everything went fine, but I did have to use SpellSmith.prc from BlueNomad in order to make WordSmith see the SpellChecker.

I have all the files residing on my MemoryStick in /Palm/PiDirect. As long as PiDirect is Enabled, everything works fine. This setup allows me to run the Thes. and SpellChecker inside of WordSmith as well as launch it as a seperate application.

The only downfall is, neither allows me to look up the definition of a word. It is strictly a SpellChecker/Thes., not a Dictionary. The only advantage to the DDH version is the ability to launch it outside of WordSmith.

Next, I downloaded NOAH Lite. I installed the PRC file and the Medium Word DB into /Palm/PiDirect on my MemoryStick. Again, everything works great provided PiDirect is enabled. This being the first time I have used NOAH Lite, I like it quite well. Unfortunately, using PiDirectVFS, I still cannot use the large dictionary, as I do not have enough free RAM.

I think what I am going to do is, register NOAH Pro, as it has VFS Support. This will allow me to install the Large Dictionary without concerns.

I am going to delete the DDH Software, as I would only really need that functionality inside of WordSmith.

I am going to keep SpellSmith on the MS until it supports VFS, something I hope is being worked on.

So in short, there does not appear to be an All-in-One solution.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I was the one that had suggested to DB that the DDH product was a dictionary, I guess I didn't realize that it did not have definitions.

Sorry if I misled anyone, it was unintentional.
    *sigh* Thanks for checking it out, GSR. I imagine I'll be doing the exact same thing.

For the time being, I'm living without my CF card (Oh sister, will you ever send it?), so neither one is really an option. When I get the Treo, I'll probably be hanging on to my wife's old VDX for word processing and such--that will be a good spot to keep a dictionary.

yep...
    Thank you! While it's disappointing that there isn't an all-in-one solution out there, you've given a very clear road-map to me regarding how to set up my Clie so that I could get the benefits of both. I have WordSmith too, and was wondering about best to use this and have a dictionary.

My only qualm about Noah Pro (other than the 1MB memory buffer for their VFS support) is the quality of the dictionary itself. I've understood it's sort of pieced together. I'm picky about dictionaries, and I'd like to get one (like the American Heritage or Random House) that's got a good reputation. (Hell, I'd love to get the OED, but I'd need a 1 Gig Memory stick. )

However, I haven't really found anything in my researches that sounds that great, so I think I'll probably get Noah Pro, and go for functionality over content. (As long as they don't say you can use "infer" and "imply" interchangeably. )
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Just curious, but has anyone tried BDicty's "Quick Lookup" feature within WordSmith? I believe it has that stroke activated feature that allows you to lookup a word on the spot, in any program. I don't remember if it transfers control back to the current program or not, but I think it does.

I registered BDicty for its English->Spanish bundles (and other translation dictionaries), but I understand that they also have English definitions dictionaries.

Problem is, I no longer have any more memory in my Prism to reload BDicty (I'm waiting until my Royal Blue CLIE 615 comes in to reload it), but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this. It would allow one to lookup the words needed from the spellchecker/thesuarus (a feature I would personally like).

I don't think there's VFS support yet (it's been a while since I've had to use BDicty), so you'll need more internal memory, but it may be a good semi-'integrated' solution, just not an "all in one" solution.

Or I could be completely wrong. It's happened before!
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
  6.    #6  
    Not sure if anyone has seen this. There is a program/hack that has been developed called MiD. It is Dictionary Hack that allows users to store Multiple dictionaries on External Cards and access them in any program. There are several dictionaries available, including Websters Unabridged and Rogets Thesaurus. The Websters Unabridged contains 114,000 Words and is over 9MB in size.

The site and most of the instructions appear to be in Thai, so I am going to link to a page called LaunchPlug. They have instructions on making it all work with a Visor Deluxe and MemPlug (something I just happen to use for testing).

Here is the link:

LaunchPlug MiD Instructions

I am going to give this a try and see what happens. While it does not offer the ability to SpellCheck a document, I can pull a word up inside WordSmith if I do not know how to spell it. Besides, once I sync it to MSWord, I can SpellCheck it then.

Cost of MiD is $16.00. You do have to run a hackmaster, but X-Master is free. Considering the many dictionaries available this would probably net the best return.

I will post my results.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I use Tomeraider for a dictionary. Same database as Noah Pro, plus you can use other databases and there is no 1MB cache. Mi is also very good and am thinking of registering it.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by volcanopele
    I use Tomeraider for a dictionary. Same database as Noah Pro, plus you can use other databases and there is no 1MB cache. Mi is also very good and am thinking of registering it.

Jason
    What I really want is to carry as little as possible. I would love to have one application that serves all my purposes.

As an update, I have installed MiD on my Visor Deluxe. I followed the directions exactly as outlined by LaunchPlug and it has worked perfectly.

I have installed the Websters Abridged Dictionary and Rogets Thesaurus. I would love to try the Unabridged, but I do not have an SM Card Reader, so I have no way to move a file that large.

The nice thing about MiD is it is available in any application. Once you put in a word you can then copy/paste it into a document. You get the benefit of it being readily available without an application and also available within all applications, not just WordSmith.

While I really like this solution so far, there still does appear to be an app that gives definitions and checks spelling.

Oh well, I am going to continue the test of MiD and NOAH/PiDirectII. MiD is definately cheaper than NOAH Lite/PiDirectII and appears more functional than NOAH Pro.
    Originally posted by GSR13
    Oh well, I am going to continue the test of MiD and NOAH/PiDirectII. MiD is definately cheaper than NOAH Lite/PiDirectII and appears more functional than NOAH Pro.
    Let me know what you think of MiD as you continue to test it. I may be willing to part with a bunch o space on the treo to accomodate it, I nearly always know when I'm spelling a word wrong so this would work fine as a spellcheck replacement...

...9 megs though.. ouchy.
    Thanks for looking into this, and posting your reactions.

After reading the description of MiD on their web page, I'm suspecting the major drawback to MiD could be incompatibilities with other programs. Having to switch it off before playing games is annoying but not severe; but if it causes problems when you run it with DateBk4, CommanderLite, or other programs or Utilities that I run frequently, that could be a problem.

I'll give this a shot myself over the weekend, see how it works. Thanks again!
    Jeff Meyer

11.    #11  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Thanks for looking into this, and posting your reactions.

After reading the description of MiD on their web page, I'm suspecting the major drawback to MiD could be incompatibilities with other programs. Having to switch it off before playing games is annoying but not severe; but if it causes problems when you run it with DateBk4, CommanderLite, or other programs or Utilities that I run frequently, that could be a problem.

I'll give this a shot myself over the weekend, see how it works. Thanks again!
    I have DateBook4 installed on my Deluxe. There are no problems running DateBook4, with MiD enabled. However, if you launch MiD while inside DateBook4, it causes a Fatal Error upon Exit of DB4.

So, you can keep it enabled and use DB4, just cannot use MiD inside of DB4. Also keep in mind I am testing this on a Visor Deluxe with OS3.1 and PiVFSMgr running. Not sure how it would function on a CLIE or Palm with OS4.1 and true VFS. If I do not run into any major problems, I am going to try it on my CLIE next.

As an aside, the Websters Abridged Dictionary, which is the one I have on my Deluxe, is only 2.5MB in size. Not sure what the Word Count is, but it seems pretty thorough. The Thesaurus is about 1.7MB.
    Last edited by GSR13; 02/06/2002 at 12:02 PM.
    So, you can keep it enabled and use DB4, just cannot use MiD inside of DB4.
    That's not really a problem -- I had been concerned that there would be applications that would cause problems, simply by entering the program. (Come to think of it, that's pretty unlikely for a hack that gets activated by tapping on ABC or 123... this sounds better and better.)
    Jeff Meyer

13.    #13  
    Originally posted by bookrats

That's not really a problem -- I had been concerned that there would be applications that would cause problems, simply by entering the program. (Come to think of it, that's pretty unlikely for a hack that gets activated by tapping on ABC or 123... this sounds better and better.)
    As far as accessing MiD. That is pretty cool. You can set it up so tapping ABC or 123 launches it, or one of many other ways.

I have mine setup to launch by sliding the stylus from the FIND button to the CALCULATOR button. It is a simple and not as likely to be hit accidently.
  14.    #14  
    Well, now I've done it. I removed PiDirectII, Noah Lite, and SpellSmith. I really like PiDirect, it is just way to expensive at $29.95. I would probably keep Noah Lite and SpellSmith if PiDirect were a little cheaper.

So, I installed MiD onto my CLIE along with X-Master. Set them up and then installed the Webster Unabridged Dictionary and Rogets Thesaurus onto my Memory Stick (gotta love MSImport).

It is way faster than my Deluxe/SM MemPlug. Now I am really impressed. So far, everything seems to be working great.

Looks like I will end up registering MiD. It seems to be the best/cheapest solution so far.
  15.    #15  
    Just so everyone knows, I found out there is an update to MiD. The most current version available on the Developers website is 1.8, however, he has released 1.85 to a user on nXt's CLIE Club. Apparently, there was an issue with the JogDial on the CLIE's causing occasional errors. So, the developer sent 1.85 to the user for testing. The developer also gave the okay to post on the Yahoo Group. Version 1.9 should be released soon, but I have installed 1.85 in the meantime.

In order to resolve this, the ability to launch MiD from the ABC or 123 buttons is no longer available. The option is still there, but it will not work.

A really cool feature of this app is the ability to Highlight a word and then execute MiD. The word will automatically be selected.
    A really cool feature of this app is the ability to Highlight a word and then execute MiD. The word will automatically be selected.
    Oh, yes. Thanks for the pointer -- I'll go get 1.85.
    Jeff Meyer

17.    #17  
    Having now installed and tested MiD V1.85 for a few days, I have decided to register it.

I have also found that the problems I had with V1.80 now appear to be gone. For instance, on my CLIE, I can run MiD inside of DateBook4 without getting a Fatal Error. I also do not get the Fatal Error inside of MarkMyScriptures, something that did occur with V1.80.

I have tried playing various games, such as Bejeweled without any problems. Though I do not use ZAP, so I have no idea if that bug is still present.

Pretty sweet program/hack, and in my opinion, well worth the $16.00 registration fee.
    I am enthusiastically in the MiD camp as well. I'm just registering MiD now. This is just exactly what I wanted -- a good thesaurus & dictionary that I can use from any app (just tap a word, and [COLOR=sea-green]*bing*[/COLOR] -- there's your definition or synonym.) And I can store it all out on the memory stick. Cool beans to the power of 10.

I've also deleted SpellSmith (and more importantly, it's spelling/thesaurus dictionary) from Clie memory, opening up about 1 megs of free space. As pointed out in GSR13's initial post, MiD doesn't give you the "spell check the entire document" functionality of SpellSmith. However, I rarely spell check an entire WordSmith document on the PDA -- typically do it instead in Word after a hotsync. When Blue Nomad allows SpellSmith to run from the Memory Stick, I'll jump in.

Big Thanks to GSR13 for "taking the point" on this (as he does on a lot of other technical topics. I would have spent hours trying to move my Visor Desktop to the Clie if I hadn't read his articles.) This is an extremely useful app -- the kind of thing that really shows off the functionality of a handheld computer, to both novice and expert users.
    Jeff Meyer

I have the Franklin Marriam-Webster Dictionary module in my Pro all of the time. Is there any software availible that will use it's DB and allow me to check the spellings of words in other programs like you are talking about? I hate having to go into the Franklin e-book reader everytime I want to look up a word.
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by Tonewiz2k
    I have the Franklin Marriam-Webster Dictionary module in my Pro all of the time. Is there any software availible that will use it's DB and allow me to check the spellings of words in other programs like you are talking about? I hate having to go into the Franklin e-book reader everytime I want to look up a word.
    None that I am aware of. I have the MW Dictionary Module as well and never used it.

I can use the MiD Dictionary on my Deluxe. Combined with my MemPlug and PiVFSMgr it works great. Of course, it is way, way faster on my CLIE, but for testing software the combination cannot be beat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast