1.    #1  
    Looks like BlueNomad has released an update to WordSmith.

Apparently, the biggest change is an enhancement to the Spell Checker. Here is what BlueNomad has to say:

Version 2.1.3 Features (Jan. 29, 2002)

New & Improved Spell Checker & Dictionaries from DDH Software, Inc. New indexing provides speeds upwards of 40 words/second during spell check.

While I love the concept of the Spell Checker, I decided to remove it because it was so slow. I guess I will have to try it again.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    The spellcheck is faster, but still not able to run off VFS, as far as I can tell. I'll probably hang on to it once I've got the 16 meg treo, but it's just not worth the space.

What will really aggravate me is that I'll want to install both Noah Pro and the spellchecker--redunant dictionaries! what a pain... what if I could have just one dictionary that served both word-lookup, thesaurus, and spell-check? Ah, bliss...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    What will really aggravate me is that I'll want to install both Noah Pro and the spellchecker--redunant dictionaries! what a pain... what if I could have just one dictionary that served both word-lookup, thesaurus, and spell-check? Ah, bliss...
    If you get the dictionary / spell checker that DDH offers, it uses the same dictionaries as WS. I am not sure of the capabilities or how good the software is, but it is an option.
    Originally posted by flips13
    If you get the dictionary / spell checker that DDH offers, it uses the same dictionaries as WS. I am not sure of the capabilities or how good the software is, but it is an option.
    hooh... cool. I'm looking into it now... I'd be willing to take a smaller capability in exchange for the ram...

...then again, the words I'd want to look up would be the odd ones...

ah, well.. I'll take a peek. thanks for the tip!
    dietrichbohn wrote:
    The spellcheck is faster, but still not able to run off VFS, as far as I can tell.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I run the spellchecker and thesaurus from my CF card in my VPL. Of course, it requires that I run PiDirect, but it does work.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    Originally posted by Burns

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I run the spellchecker and thesaurus from my CF card in my VPL. Of course, it requires that I run PiDirect, but it does work.

- Burns
    Right. I meant native VFS support
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

hooh... cool. I'm looking into it now... I'd be willing to take a smaller capability in exchange for the ram...

...then again, the words I'd want to look up would be the odd ones...

ah, well.. I'll take a peek. thanks for the tip!
    Did you download this and give it a try? I am curious what your thoughts are. I would really like to know how it compares to NoahPro. I am seriously considering a Dictionary and NoahPro has VFS Support, which would be great.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13

Did you download this and give it a try? I am curious what your thoughts are. I would really like to know how it compares to NoahPro. I am seriously considering a Dictionary and NoahPro has VFS Support, which would be great.
    Well, not yet. Space is at a premium because I no longer have my CF card. I lent it to my sister when she got an Elph for her birthday (it comes with an 8 meg card, what a joke). I haven't gotten it back.

the upshot is that I don't have the space for the dictionary just now. I'm waiting for Treo Happiness.
    And, unlike last update, it's already available to Wordsmith Pro users .
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    GSR13 created a new thread testing out the software from DDH. I did not realize that the DDH software did not contain definitions. Sorry if I misled anyone.
    GSR13 created a new thread testing out the software from DDH. I did not realize that the DDH software did not contain definitions. Sorry if I misled anyone.
    bah. you wrote " I am not sure of the capabilities or how good the software is, but it is an option." Hardly misleading. Heck, I didn't even know that DDH made stand-alone software. I still thank you for the tip!
  12.    #12  
    I do not think you misled anyone. Your post was precisely the reason that I started testing them. I wanted to know what it consisted of. Now we know. Thanks for the tip.
    I was a little sad when Wordsmith 2.1.2 came out as I could not run the executable off of my 8mb Springboard... well, it would run but not synchronize. I emailed Blue Nomad about this bug, and PRESTO! 2.1.3 fixes the problem. Plus it seems faster, too.

I wish all software companies were as competent as Blue Nomad.

-sigh-
    Last edited by ThirdMan; 02/07/2002 at 06:00 PM.
    --
    ThirdMan