1.    #1  
    Handmark has released Monopoly for the PalmOS. I was unable to download a demo of the game until I actually purchased it (at a 20% discount) from the normal $29.99 price. If you would like to download the demo, go here:
    http://www.handmark.com/downloads/monopolyhm_win.exe
    I have played one game on my N610C CLie. The graphics are poor, as is animation, (if you have HiRes support on), the cards fly by into the upper left corner of the screen, and they block 1/3 from being viewed. Turning off HiRes support solved this problem, and the properties scroll by as your piece moves. Other than that, it has all the options you would want, as well as custom rules. The interface is fairly decent as far as buying houses, viewing the game summary, etc. Auctioning is rather tricky as you only have 5 seconds to bid. It can move rather quickly, and you will end up losing often if you are not careful. You cannot see which properties have houses on them on the main board. You would think they could've put a 2 or 4 pixel icon representing them. You also cannot see how much money you have when purchasing houses.
    Hopefully this game will see some enhancements soon. (I'm not holding my breath for a HiRes version)
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Thank you for the link for the demo. I am gonna have to give the game a try and get back to this thread.
    I finally did it and purchased Monopoly. First, I must say that before I had been using the MonoPalm version of Monopoly which is in French. That is not at all bad since I am in French IV and using a French Monopoly version helped me practice. Plus see that one has almost 1 million Francs is certainly a lot more ego boosting then see that one has 2000 dollars. However, there were a few things I didn't like about it. First, as many of you know, I have a Visor Platinum, a greyscale device. Anyways, you can't see what groups properties are in at a glance. Second, trading properties occasionally caused Fatal Exceptions. Finally, it was hard to see where you were as there was only a dot to mark your location.

Therefore, I have been eyeing Handmark's Monopoly since it came out. The demo link Galley_SimRacer provided didn't work for me. So I was hesitant to purchase something that I couldn't see in advance, especially something that costs 30 bucks. The other day, I decided to buy it. After trying it out, I can say that it is a very nice rendition of Monopoly. Is it worth the 30 bucks, that remains to be seen. If I find that I play it a lot, it might be. It is certainly worth at least 15 bucks but 30, I am not so sure. Besides all of this, it is a nice port of a very popular board game. There are custom symbols, all the house rules I use apply, but for some reason I can't get the sound to work. Oh well.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I nabbed the new monopoly...its pretty sweet ! nice graphics, smooth animations, just like playing the board game with out the mess,, the auction feature is nice too...now if I could just play a full round without the fiance taking over.
    [ trust ]
    [ DYSfunction8.com ]
    I find the AI to be really dumb.

I have won the last 25 games straight.... *Sigh*

Here's a breakdown of the AI.

-=-=-=-=-
    -The AI player will sell you any property as long as you won't get a complete set by getting it. It will trade you anything for anything as long as IT is getting the more expensive item (AND you aren't getting a complete set).

-It will only allow you to get a complete set if you are giving IT a (or two) card that allows it to get a complete set that is MORE expensive than the one you are getting.

-It will NEVER EVER EVER allow you to get a complete set. It wouldn't even sell me Mediterranean Ave. ($60 value) for $5000 when it was about to go bankrupt. That is some hardcore playing!

-The AI WILL however happily trade back and forth amongst other AI members allowing each others to get complete sets for outrageously low prices. Sucks, doesn't it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-

So how do you beat it? Easy. Buy at least ONE of each set on the board. If an AI player has two of a set, hurry up and buy one - offer him $5 more than the retail price of the property and he'll give it up to you.

Basically you need to get lucky and somehow get ONE set while denying the other players any sets at all. After that it's just a matter of time before you have all hotels and go for the win.

-=-=-=-=-=-

If you have the money buy two of a set before all three properties are sold - this greatly increases your chances of getting the third piece. The computer does NOT care if you have 2 of a set and the third is still up for grabs - it only cares about keeping you from getting that third one.

It's possible to not even ever land on an available property and STILL have all of them just by buying them off the stupid AI players.

I can win a game in under 5 minutes.

-Trotsky
    Just my luck, there is now an english version of MiniPalm, the best freeware version of Monopoly. It had been available in French, which I don't mind so much but some of my friends are not so fluent in French. Now it also in available in English. If any of you were considering getting Monopoly, check this proram out first and see if it suits your needs.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele
    Just my luck, there is now an english version of MiniPalm, the best freeware version of Monopoly. It had been available in French, which I don't mind so much but some of my friends are not so fluent in French. Now it also in available in English. If any of you were considering getting Monopoly, check this proram out first and see if it suits your needs.

Jason
    Jason, I think you mean MONOPALM.

:P

Cheers.
    :shortcut: my little webby
    I still love my Visor Prism
    Originally posted by Zip-Zilla

Jason, I think you mean MONOPALM.
    Yeah, that's it
    In some ways, I actually prefer the free version! It runs faster. It's easier to get an overview of the entire board...to see who owns what. With the Handmark version, I had to keep going into the summary screen to find out what I owned, etc.

Despite purchasing the Handmark version, I've been playing the free version!

Oh, well...
    Does monopalm work on the deluxe? the website at palmgear says it requires OS 3.5.

thank,
    uday
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by volcanopele

Jason
    Does MonoPalm allow you to play against the computer, or just against other people?
    Originally posted by Rob

Does MonoPalm allow you to play against the computer, or just against other people?
    You can play against the computer OR other people.
  13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by purplemd

You can play against the computer OR other people.
    That's odd...when I start a new game, the drop down list that says 'Human' doesn't work. I can't change it to 'computer'.

Update: Ok, I went to the source, and here's what it says on their web site:

http://coindepalm.studel.fr/eng/monopalm/monopalm.htm

The game has been made for 2 thru 4 players, for the moment all humans (automaton players maybe for a future version...)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts