Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Crustytrusty
    it seems everyone uses launcherIII. I have tried it and find it is pretty weak when compared to gobar and powerrun....go bar looks so nice, its very easy to use, easy to sort apps, and the option to change the desltop color to anything is pretty slick too...I found launcher to be pretty ugly and kinda messy looking and not very intuitive...any thoughts?....
    Well, I'll admit to not having used GoBar, but I'm willing to bet that it doesn't hold a candle to LIII in terms of speed and functionality. the prettiness I'll give you, but not once Launcher X comes out.
    it seems everyone uses launcherIII. I have tried it and find it is pretty weak when compared to gobar and powerrun....go bar looks so nice, its very easy to use, easy to sort apps, and the option to change the desltop color to anything is pretty slick too...I found launcher to be pretty ugly and kinda messy looking and not very intuitive...any thoughts?....
    Haven't used GoBar either, but in regards to PowerRun: I use LauncherIII for VFS loading instead because I don't want to configure every single app I want to store out on the MS.

LauncherIII makes it very easy (and intuitive, for me) to store things out on the MS -- I don't have to spend a mental energy deciding what apps I set up to load with files/databases, and which ones I don't. While PowerRun definitely would save me more Clie memory than LIII, it wouldn't be a lot -- most of the space is used by the .prc file, and that's what LIII puts out there.

And I find it easy to use, and intuitive. (Drag the icon down to the MS icon to move it/copy it to the MS -- got it.) I used Launch 'Em for quite a while before that -- it was a somewhat better-looking program, and had a few more bells and whistles. Blew down more frequently, though, and it never got around to VFS support when I made the switch to LIII.

LauncherIII has been a rock -- I'm hoping LauncherX will be a pretty, shiny rock.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I have always used the default launcher until recently. I was looking for some software and thought I would give the different launchers a try. I found Launcher III to suit my needs more than SilverScreen and LaunchEm. I have had it installed since early December and absolutely love it.

I have just gotten into the built-in VFS support and find it very useful. Of course, with OS 4.0, you can simply move the .PRC file into /Palm/Launcher on the Card and access it from the default Launcher. LauncherIII just makes this a bit easier.

There are some applications/DB's in which the DB is the large part. As an example, I use MarkMyScriptures and the two Documents are 2MB combined. Fortunately, the application supports VFS. Another example would be Noah Lite, in which case they do not have VFS Support. That is where PiDirectII or PowerRun come in. PowerRun does offer the ability to Read and Write to the card, unlike PiDirectII.

As for Launcher X, that is definately my next purchase.

If someone is a Visor Solo or Deluxe user I highly recommend the combination of a MemPlug, PiVFSMgr, and LauncherIII.

Check out LaunchPlug for some great tips on using LauncherIII with a MemPlug.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Have you guys tried Megalauncher3? It's has more functionality than other launchers I'd say. It already has a 'Homer' type list as well. It's by far my fav. You should give it a look if you haven't in a while, it's changed quite a bit in the last few releases.

Just my 2 cents...
    Ark.
    GoBar looks nice, but I found it had some problems. Now nad then it would not return back to the launcher, and other stuff.

LIII OTOH is always there, and never caused any glitch! Great stuff...
    I registered GoBar a couple of years ago. Now, the newest
    version does not work on my Prism. I start moving icons to
    folder tabs and before I'm done, I get a fatal error. Reset and it
    has forgotten the moves I had already made. Start over from the
    beginning and them all of a sudden, fatal error again, reset...etc.
    Launcher III for me all the way. Can't wait for Launcher X to be
    released. That pushed me over the edge to register Launcher III.
    I saw the ad for LauncherX, then went immediately to register LauncherIII (to be able to "cross-grade" cheaply) in preparation for my CLIE's arrival. Now my CLIE's here and I've got LIII loaded, but am still patiently waiting for LX.

LIII is wonderfully nice, but methinks I'm gonna need something prettier soon. LIII and a CLIE T615C just don't seem very aesthetically pleasing. Any rumored word as to when LX will be released? Any inside beta testers willing to let us know how soon/not soon we can expect?

Yes, I'm waiting patiently . . . Really, I am. No, seriously, this is me being patient . . . <taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap>
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    Originally posted by raptor
    I saw the ad for LauncherX, then went immediately to register LauncherIII (to be able to "cross-grade" cheaply) in preparation for my CLIE's arrival. Now my CLIE's here and I've got LIII loaded, but am still patiently waiting for LX.
    I wonder how much LX would be? And how much the cross-grade would be? I mean, if LX would cost $50 (doubtful, but go along w/ me here for a sec) and cross-grade at a "HUGE DISCOUNT" would be $20, I don't know if I want to pay $9.95 for LIII now and $20 later for the cross-grade. $29.95 for LX is too much an investment for me right now ...

Oh well, I'm a sucker for technology. Here I go to pay for LIII now.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by namja

I wonder how much LX would be? And how much the cross-grade would be? I mean, if LX would cost $50 (doubtful, but go along w/ me here for a sec) and cross-grade at a "HUGE DISCOUNT" would be $20, I don't know if I want to pay $9.95 for LIII now and $20 later for the cross-grade. $29.95 for LX is too much an investment for me right now ...

Oh well, I'm a sucker for technology. Here I go to pay for LIII now.
    Here's what I think. Note that I don't KNOW, I'm just guessing and using standard PDA software pricing information.

LX alone may cost $20 - $30 (I'm thinking more around $20 or so, but that's just a guess).

LIII costs $10 right now, which is a great price for Palm software, in my opinion.

The "cross-grade" could cost somewhere around $5-$10 or so. This would be a "HUGE DISCOUNT" to the LX price (down to $10 from $20) and would still be equal to LX alone ($20 for LX, $20 for LIII -> LX). Honestly, if you offered the LIII -> LX "cross-grade" deal for MORE than LX alone, then why even hype the cross-grade? More people would sit and wait for LX and go for that straight. But hey, that's just opinion. I'm actually often wrong on these things.

Again, this is just a guess. It's my own assumption on pricing. But I'd be willing to pay $20 - $30 for really good PDA software (WordSmith, TealMovie, and Blazer being prime examples).
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    raptor,

The web site says that if you register for the LIII and cross-grade, that (total of both costs) will be cheaper than getting LX straight up. So if it's $10 for LIII and $10 for the cross-grade to LX, then LX straight up has to be more than $20. So maybe the cross-grade will be $5 or maybe LX straight up will be $25. Anyway, hope it's now like a 50 cents savings.

Also, how long does it take for PalmGear to send me the registration codes? I haven't received it yet, and it's been a couple days.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Honest-to-Woz, I was organizing my new Clie T615C with my (registered) LauncherIII software -- moving apps to the the Memory Stick and such with LIII -- and I started to wonder about looking around for a Hi-Res launcher that could show off the Clie to better effect. I saw the ad for LauncherX in the Clie accessories catalog, and was tempted.

Ok, I give....I'm registered and have LauncherIIIv 3.0.5 and for the life of me cannot see how to move apps to the MS via LauncherIII. Must be having a senior moment. Help????
    Originally posted by MIKE STH

Ok, I give....I'm registered and have LauncherIIIv 3.0.5 and for the life of me cannot see how to move apps to the MS via LauncherIII. Must be having a senior moment. Help????
    One of the available gadgets is a "card tools" that move stuff back and forth from the Palm/Launcher directory. It's nice.

Can anybody else connect to www.launcherx.com ? Seems like it's down.. maybe launcherx will be here soon?!?

my dream: integrated wireless features (signal strength, mainly, but also VM icons for those who need it)
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Can anybody else connect to www.launcherx.com ? Seems like it's down.. maybe launcherx will be here soon?!?
    I can get to it just fine. And sadly, no changes to the teaser images that I noticed at first glance...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

One of the available gadgets is a "card tools" that move stuff back and forth from the Palm/Launcher directory. It's nice.
    Specifically: once you've configured the card tool gadget on your Launcher III screen, just drag an application to the card tool to put it out on the memory stick.

You'll be asked whether you want to copy it or move it. If you choose "move" (and you should -- otherwise, the app won't be deleted out of your main memory, and you'll have two copies of the same program), after the move is completed, the application icon will be drawn in Launcher III with a small "card" notation in the lower right corner of the icon.

Good news: it's back up. Bad news: no changes to the site.

Boy, I'm waiting for this one!
    Jeff Meyer

Thanks all, if I didn't keep having work interrupt these important things, I could probably figure it out myself.

Again, many thanks!
    MIKE STH,

Are you a Molly Hatchet fan? Isn't your avatar from one of their
    album covers? Yes I said album, because CDs weren't invented
    when this band came out.
    Originally posted by gadgetguru
    MIKE STH,

Are you a Molly Hatchet fan? Isn't your avatar from one of their
    album covers? Yes I said album, because CDs weren't invented
    when this band came out.
    Yup, I was back in the days of albums/actually, I had it on 8-track...guess that kinda dates me. It's actually an early Frazetta painting entitled DEATHDEALER I believe....Come to think of it, it might make a nice wallpaper for the 615c.

Realize, this Avitar is only the head, it is actually a black knight astride a very large black horse with vultures etc in the background. Highly cool.
    Last edited by MIKE STH; 03/19/2002 at 08:41 AM.
    From the nXt Clie group:

Launcher X Release
    Straight from the developer:

"Sorry for the delay. Because of some problems I was not able to
    work on LX as much as I wish.

I hope that you won't have to wait much.

Bozidar"
    Note that I am not griping about this. Bozidar has always produced a quality product, and I'd rather wait for it to be done right than get an early half-*ssed version.
    Jeff Meyer

I'm a registered Launcher III user. Will my registration allow me to upgrade to LauncherX?
    I'm a registered Launcher III user. Will my registration allow me to upgrade to LauncherX?
    For a price. Mind you, a discounted price.
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast