1.    #1  
    Recently the down rocker key on my Centro stopped working. I can occasionally get it to work once or twice if I fiddle with it for a long time, but otherwise it doesn't respond. I can still do most stuff thanks to the touch screen, but it's pretty annoying. Has anybody every encountered anything like this, or have any suggestions on a fix? Is there any way to designate another key to be "down"?
    whose your provider.. take the phone back and see if they
    can fix it i hope you have insurance on it
    My down button is starting to go also. I think this is a pretty common problem - I've seen other threads about it.
    There was a utility on the 700p called LudusP that let you remap buttons, but I don't know if it works on the Centro.
    My advice would be to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and see if that fixes the problem. If not, get it replaced.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    My down button is starting to go also. I think this is a pretty common problem - I've seen other threads about it.
    There was a utility on the 700p called LudusP that let you remap buttons, but I don't know if it works on the Centro.
    My advice would be to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and see if that fixes the problem. If not, get it replaced.
    I just tried LudusP, but it looks like it lets you remap buttons to kick off applications, but not remap one as simply "down".

I can try taking it apart, but I'll need to get a tiny torx-head screwdriver. The phone is a couple of years old and I don't have any insurance on it. I'll probably end up seeing what Sprint can give me for extending my contract (assuming they'll let me extend my SERO plan)
    Had the same problem here. I bought a replacement keypad assembly from someone on ebay for about $25 and fitted it myself - fairly easy job if you're careful with the two ribbon cables. All works fine now.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Had the same problem here. I bought a replacement keypad assembly from someone on ebay for about $25 and fitted it myself - fairly easy job if you're careful with the two ribbon cables. All works fine now.
    Thanks! I just ordered one too.

Do you happen to know what size torx screwdriver you needed (and where you got it)?
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
    Thanks! I just ordered one too.

Do you happen to know what size torx screwdriver you needed (and where you got it)?
    I didn't use a torx driver - one of my jewellers' flat blades did the job just fine
    T5 torx
    My down key has completely quit working...

I tried to take the phone apart but I'm not having any luck. I was going to try to clean the button somehow but I can't get to it.

I have a Sprint Palm Centro and after I get the 6 screws out I can only get the back plate off. How does it come apart next. I don't won't to break anything. Is there an how to guide with pics anywhere?

I looked at the parts on ebay and I'm not sure which one to purchase. There are some for $8 and some for $25. I'm not sure if the one for $8 has the down buttons along with the keypad. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    FBJ
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboyjr View Post
    I have a Sprint Palm Centro and after I get the 6 screws out I can only get the back plate off. How does it come apart next. I don't won't to break anything. Is there an how to guide with pics anywhere?
    Here's a video that gives step-by-step directions:

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyjr View Post
    I looked at the parts on ebay and I'm not sure which one to purchase. There are some for $8 and some for $25. I'm not sure if the one for $8 has the down buttons along with the keypad. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    FBJ
    The $8 ones look like they are just the buttons themselves, and not the actual electronics parts. I went with this one for $16, which is probably the same as the $25 ones you're seeing:

NEW Black KEYPAD flex FOR PALM TREO CENTRO 690 - eBay (item 130334524230 end time Oct-31-09 13:25:00 PDT)

The "same day shipping" the guy guarantees isn't necessarily accurate - he sent it out 2 days later, but still got to me quickly (he ships from NJ). Also the keyboard looks like it was removed from another phone (but still looked like new, so maybe he disassembled some new phones), but it fixed the problem for me!

When I first put it back together, the phone's screen was just completely white. I took it back apart and realized that I didn't push the screen ribbon cable all the way back in. So make sure you're careful when removing or plugging back in the ribbon cables.
    Thanks,

That video helps a lot!!!

Also, thanks for the differences on ebay. You are right the $8 one was only the buttons face, not the electronics.

Thanks again!
    FBJ