1.    #1  
    We are starting to see mobile phones that are GPRS enabled, allowing an 'always-on' Internet connection, so when are we going to see Palm software that can use this facility?

Here I am thinking about things like an e-mail client (or instant messaging client) that can check for new messages at pre-determined intervals, just like a desktop client can.
    My guess is with the release of the i705 from Palm then you'll see the new software. This is now scheduled for Jan. 28th depending upon which bb you are monitoring but I'd bet Palm is keeping this one under their hats until the launch of another obsolete piece of hardware that is toooooooo late to save Palm?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by nurcombe
    We are starting to see mobile phones that are GPRS enabled, allowing an 'always-on' Internet connection, so when are we going to see Palm software that can use this facility?

Here I am thinking about things like an e-mail client (or instant messaging client) that can check for new messages at pre-determined intervals, just like a desktop client can.
    Try Corsoft's Aileron at www.corsoft.com. To quote from an e-mail they sent me last week:

"Corsoft Aileron version 3.6 has an Auto-Access enabled to itself. It is designed to permit you, the user, to schedule the frequency of your device interaction. The smallest time being 5 min and the longest being 60 min, with an ability to specify start time and end time for each day. The device will automatically wake up and check for new mail as per these user defined specifications. If new mail exists, it will download it to the client. Else after the attempt is over, it will gracefully go back to sleep. It is also smart enough to work with any configured network and will not disturb if
    the device is already in use."

I've used Aileron on my Palm VIIx for a couple of years, and can recommend it very highly. It even opens attachments and permits you to edit them in QuickOffice.

Hope this helps...

Dan Prizer