1.    #1  
    I've finally given up on finding the 'perfect' password storage application for my Palm and Mac. I want a password app that has flexible record types (ie, credit card, web site, PIN, etc.) and allows me to group unlike records into categories (mainly, clients). It also should have a Mac OSX desktop.

I like Cryptinfo's palm interface, but there is no Mac Conduit. I like SplashID's Palm and Mac interface, but it fails in grouping categorization.

So, I'm going to make it myself. I'm looking for some advice on the following:

1) What database app should I use? HandBase? I need palm software and Mac desktop software that will also run on OSX, and, ideally have a Windows version as well. It should also be securable on the desktop (either via the db software, or via a third-party app.) I'd also like an app that has flexibility with the GUI I design for it.

2) What security software should I use for the Palm? Since the database is no longer an ecrypted database, I need air-tight security software for the Palm as a whole. I remember discussing one product that had a tiled pattern you type in on start-up...that looked like a convenient solution.

One concern...If I can secure the Palm, and the desktop DB, do I have all of my bases covered, or is there still a security risk through the conduit? And now that I think about it, I suppose there could be a problem if the desktop DB is protected and I try to synch to it. Is there a workaround for that?

Ugh. Maybe this isn't the solution either.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Have you tried thinkDB?
  3.    #3  
    Have you tried thinkDB?
    Does it meet my criteria listed above?
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    I've finally given up on finding the 'perfect' password storage application for my Palm and Mac. I want a password app that has flexible record types (ie, credit card, web site, PIN, etc.) and allows me to group unlike records into categories (mainly, clients). It also should have a Mac OSX desktop.
    Well, GNU Keyring does everything but the OSX desktop, as so many other password programs, I suspect.

Since the desktop portion seems to be the only hangup, why not just write the desktop under OSX? Or, worst case, write a conversion utility to an available password program under OSX? I know Perl has modules for reading PDB files, and I'm pretty sure Java does too, if you want to hang a pretty GUI onto it.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    You may may also want to look at STRIP http://www.zetetic.net/download.html

It does not have a desktop companion, but all data is encrypted on the Palm and backed up on the desktop at sync. It is distributed under GNU, so you could certainly write the companion piece.
  6.    #6  
    [qoute]Since the desktop portion seems to be the only hangup, why not just write the desktop under OSX? Or, worst case, write a conversion utility to an available password program under OSX? I know Perl has modules for reading PDB files, and I'm pretty sure Java does too, if you want to hang a pretty GUI onto it.[/quote]

Well, let me add that I am not a programmer. (at leat, not yet...)

I was just looking for a database app that is secure on both the palm and desktop that would have a conduit (perhaps fileMaker?...though I DO hate that program...)

I've used Strip and GNU Keyring, but have settled on CryptInfo for the time being. They all offer the basic Palm functionality I was looking for. I can live without the desktop, but would REALLY like it. There are 20-30 password apps out there. I've only found 2 with Mac desktops. Seems odd. SplashID is 'almost' perfect except for the arbitrary way it makes you group things.

You'd almost think that something like this would be part of the Palm Desktop suite. With the web now, people have a LOT of passwords to keep track of.
    -David Byrne
    When I used Crypto 3.0 (before the desktop app), I used to every so often export all my passwords to the memopad, perform a hot synch, then cut & paste the exported passwords to a text file on my desktop. I then would use a desktop application to encrypt it there.

Kind of a pain, but it let me have a copy on my desktop. I would also keep a copy of a blank record in my Memo pad, so I could import passwords into Crypto.
  8.    #8  
    Wilderf:

Hmmm...not ideal, but not a bad idea...thanks!
    -David Byrne
    [QUOTE]quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you tried thinkDB?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never mind. The desktop app is for PC only.
    I love ThinkDB amd make my own applications for stuff like this that one needs. I have ones for passwords, credit cards, investments, travel expense, eBay Auction Manager etc. Easy to use and made the apps the way you like without being a programmer and apps can be password protected.
    Originally posted by homer
    I've used Strip and GNU Keyring
    I use ThinkDB for my passwords now, but I used to use Keyring. When I wanted to look up passwords on the desktop, I would just open the Keyring database from my Backup folder in the PalmOS Emulator.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
  12.    #12  
    icthus...now THERE'S an idea!

As for the ThinkDB fans out there...how secure IS ThinkDB? Does it encrypt the data, or is it just a password protected app? When you sync to the desktop, how secure is the data file on your desktop?

It's a moot point, as there doesn't seem to be a good DB palm/mac app out there, but I'm curious...
    -David Byrne
    Just password protected. It is not encrypted on the desktop. You
    still need the password to access it on the desktop.