Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmm lots of ebook topics on the Net today. Found 2 or more at pdabuzz.

Well I have to say that I love ebooks. I borrowed my friend's palm for a few weeks to see if I liked it. Of course I did. I found peanut press my favorite place for books. The books are $.50 cheaper and I don't have to go to the store. The stores in the mall don't seem to let you try out a book and I can never find a place at borders. There are also no comfortable chairs in Barns and Noble. I get to download them with instant gratification, love my dsl.

I have now a visor deluxe and man its great. I can read with only one hand and lay in bed. I always hated that about books, couldn't find a comfortable space to read. I don't need to find a lighted area. It also saves space on my bookshelf. I have way too many magazines, books, manuals, papers.

What bothers me is if I would like reading on a color device. This monochrome is great on my eyes. But I can't seem comfortable reading on a computer screen. I also don't like reading off of my laptop screen either. Maybe one of these days I might try a color device.
  2.    #22  
    Great links! I bookmarked every single one of them.

I don't feel e-books will replace traditional text (unless Microsoft's TabletPC really takes off in years to come...) but I feel that an e-book can be an extension of the actual books. It was mentioned that buying the paper version should give you access to an electronic version for on the go reading. This is a great idea and would really help move e-books long. But publishers (much like record companies) are blinded by greed and refuse to be innovative.

However, I also feel that e-books are a viable platform for reading novels, regardless of whether a user owns the paper version. I just wish the publishers would charge a fair price for e-books. Until they commit to a sound pricing strategy, I'll be downloading bootlegged copies. Just found Lord of the Rings e-book two days ago... Napster for e-books anyone!!??
    FYI: This week's Writing On Your Palm article discusses ebooks, and if they should be released at the beginning or the end of a books "life cycle".
    http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column020114.htm

Most of the ebooks I buy are in the $5 range. I prefer buying HTML books, so I can convert them to PalmReader, or any other PDA format I want.

I now do most of my reading on a PDA. I've spoiled myself with the auto-scroll - so much that now I whine about my hand hurting whenever I read a large paperback and have to hold the pages open.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    Alslayer, you wrote
    What bothers me is if I would like reading on a color device. This monochrome is great on my eyes. But I can't seem comfortable reading on a computer screen. I also don't like reading off of my laptop screen either. Maybe one of these days I might try a color device.
    I had a deluxe and upgraded to the prism, and I don't find it bothers my eyes. It is great to be able to read in the dark in any position thats comfortable. The backlight on the deluxe was useable, but I much prefer the prism. Go for color!
    Given that I do most of my paperback reading while soaking in a hot bubble bath after a long day, e-books don't seem to be the thing for me!
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Given that I do most of my paperback reading while soaking in a hot bubble bath after a long day, e-books don't seem to be the thing for me!
    Heck, a simple water-proof bag would handle this! You can pick them up in most department stores in the camping department and similar places. You can buy some 'specially designed' for PDAs, but they seem to be just a little better shaped.

Most of these will be heavy vinyl bags with an opening that rolls a few times then Velcos closed. You can work the buttons and use a stylus well enough to do Grafitti while your PDA is waterproof.

Drop a chuck of foam in the bag behind the PDA and it will float better, too!

You CAN use a heavy Zip-Lock (R) bag, but they are nowhere near as secure or durable. If you try it, use a big one, fold the excess over, and rubber-band the whole thing for extra protection.

End result- a book that can take an accidental drop in the water, and that you don't have to worry about getting wet fingerprints on!
  7.    #27  
    Only on Visorcentral.com would someone get advice on how to read e-books on your Visor while taking a hot bubble bath.

I love this site! You guys are great!
    Yes...I use the ziplock bag trick when I read on the beach (but's it's more for keeping the sand out than the water )
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    End result- a book that can take an accidental drop in the water, and that you don't have to worry about getting wet fingerprints on!
    Madkins007, you are truly an innovator!

Still, though, I seriously think this is one of the reasons why e-books will never totally replace the printed version. Even with your suggestions, I would still NEVER get in the tub, pool, hot tub, etc. with my Prism. Further, can't read outside with the Prism and finally--(please don't call me weird) I like the way books smell and GOOD LUCK coming up with a solution for that!
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer
    Only on Visorcentral.com would someone get advice on how to read e-books on your Visor while taking a hot bubble bath.
    Yep, solving the major problems, that's what we do best here at VC!!

Further, can't read outside with the Prism and finally--(please don't call me weird) I like the way books smell and GOOD LUCK coming up with a solution for that!
    Solving such challenges is my job!

Get yourself a cheap perfume making or potpourri oil making kit, and grind/shred up an old book to use as the main fragrance.

For something like this, I would probably use some removeable double sided tape and adhere a small strip of thick paper towel to your handheld or case in a discrete location, then add a few drops of the new "Old Book" scent you made. Ideally, you would locate the 'scent strip' in a place that gets warm so it releases the scent better.

I love the smell of books as well so I do not think you weird at all. I probably WOULD think someone that went through the trouble of actually doing this is weird, though!
    I probably WOULD think someone that went through the trouble of actually doing this is weird, though!
    To say nothing of someone that actually thought of the solution They say that smell and memory are closely connected, and as I have been reading since very early age, I have good connotations to smell of books, I guess.

To get back more on topic: I have been accused of "speed reading"--and I admit that occasionally I miss parts of books that later turn out to be relevant...(particularly whem they are embroiled in the middle of some overly-ambitious descriptive prattle)--and SCANNING BACK TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON seems to be more easily accomplished in a book vs. a handheld. OR maybe I'm just grasping at straws now?
    I have been accused of "speed reading"--and I admit that occasionally I miss parts of books that later turn out to be relevant...(particularly whem they are embroiled in the middle of some overly-ambitious descriptive prattle)--and SCANNING BACK TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON seems to be more easily accomplished in a book vs. a handheld. OR maybe I'm just grasping at straws now?
    Yep, straws.
    Actually, it depends... Example: If it seems that I missed something like a character in the story, I can do a search on the NAME, and find when they were first mentioned. (I'm also guilty of "speed reading". )
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"

OR maybe I'm just grasping at straws now?
    All ya gotta do is just state, firmly and with conviction, "I prefer paper books to e-books." You don't need any reasons (especially ones this flimsy!)

I prefer paper as well for a lot of situations. I tend to eat lunch at work alone. I almost HAVE to read something at lunch or it feels wrong (Hmmm, maybe this is what they call 'a psychological addiction'?) I can USE an e-book to satisfy the 'need', but I vastly prefer a paper book- especially a library-bound hardback.

Reading in bed is EASIER with an e-book (smaller, lighter, more portable, self-lit in a Prism, etc.) but I still prefer a real book- even though I have to fight a bit to get the position and lighting right- then re-struggle if I chage postion, etc.

I don't read in the bubblebath, but I DO read in the gym's whirlpool- both paper and e-books. After a couple close calls with paper, I went to pure e-books. I can also use the time to log my workout, etc.
    Originally posted by narnia_77
    If it seems that I missed something like a character in the story, I can do a search on the NAME
    What!! Logic?!! Surely you jest!!
    I prefer paper as well for a lot of situations.
    and that's the problem with predictions that we will be a paperless society, etc. sometimes, the electronic version just won't do!

but I DO read in the gym's whirlpool- both paper and e-books. After a couple close calls with paper, I went to pure e-books.
    My God, man! I'd rather drop my latest Elizabeth George or Jonathan Kellerman paperback into the water than my LIFE...er...I mean, my Prism!
    and that's the problem with predictions that we will be a paperless society, etc. sometimes, the electronic version just won't do!
    Perhaps it is just because the electronic version isn't advanced enough. Have you ever read Neal Stephenson The Diamond Age?
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    It is certainly less enjoyable to read a book on a palm (take it from a guy who read Anna Karenina on an Edge!), although I must admit I've got a soft spot for the autoscroll feature on CSpotRun (having to move your eyes up and down the page is such a drag ).
    If you like the autoscroll in CSPotRun, you may want to check out ReadThemAll. It is the only reader I have seen with this type of autoscroll. It is much easier on the eyes (although dietrichbohn will have to move his eyes up and down the page ) and supports the same autoscroll controls of CSR.
    Originally posted by Winchell
    Perhaps it is just because the electronic version isn't advanced enough.
    Perhaps...but some of the things I like about books may not be replicatable (is that a word) electronically...e.g. the smell, the feel of the page, etc.

Have you ever read Neal Stephenson The Diamond Age?
    I have not. Please summarize..
    ...and maybe this debate summarizes why we will never have a paperless society- plenty of people just plain prefer paper (wow! What alliteration!)

Personally, I predict that what finally DOES initiate a more paperless society will not be advances in electronics, but rather increases in the costs of paper. Until paper just gets too expensive for traditional books and generating reams of quasi-useful reports, the sheer inertia of society will continue to demand it.

(By the way, K., I keep my Prism securely within a heavy duty 'waterproof bag' at the gym. I do the same with a personal stereo in the pool! The attendants thought they were seeing things at first because I was doing aqua-aerobics with 'sports' headphones leading back to a waterproof bag with a tape player inside it, floating on one of those foam 'kickboards' and the whole thing was following me like a puppy! As far as getting paper books wet, I guess the missing detail I neglected is that most of my fiction books are from the library!)
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast