1.    #1  
    I just downloaded Mapopolis 4.0 Tuesday, and I am using it with my new Magellan GPS Companion on my Visor Solo. So far, it has worked flawlessly. Right now I am using the free maps only. Anyone tried the Platinum maps with driving directions? Is it worth the money?
    Well, I just dl'ed it (thanks for that), and now I'm frustrated to find that the money I shelled out for the enhanced map doesn't get me the directions--I have to pay more...

I guess I'll email them and ask if I can just pay the difference.. still, aggravating (though, obviously, it's their perogrative)...

sigh.

the enhanced maps were the best out there for the Palm OS in my experience, I would be willing to bet the "platinum" maps are just as good/better.
    When I complained that I'd just bought the enhanced maps, they gave me the Premium map I needed. I told them they should have an "upgrade" special so we can pay the difference, since I was probably not the only one.

Dana
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Did you by any chance try the Premium map? How good is the driving directions? I asked them if they going to have a CD for all the Premium maps. They said they should have it in 1st Quarter 2002. Let's hope so....

Originally posted by DanaWheels
    When I complained that I'd just bought the enhanced maps, they gave me the Premium map I needed. I told them they should have an "upgrade" special so we can pay the difference, since I was probably not the only one.

Dana
    Not yet. I can't seem to get the map to be recognized by my MemPlug. *sigh* I'll try it in internal memory.

Dana
    I was a bit dismayed at the new prices too. Even the basic maps have a fee now (except the time-limited demos). But I did notice that there isn't a fee for even the enhanced maps if they are under 100k so I luck out a little since only three or four maps within my state are larger than that. But it is a bummer for my occasional travel "down south." I hope that Mapopolis is able to stay afloat because I really like the program. And rest assured - I will buy the maps that I need from them. I kind of wish that they had state summaries that had just major routes and cities marked for those long trips that pass through many counties. My only other suggestion (I've already made it to them) is that you be able to plot a line in a maplet so you could mark hiking trails and the like.
    If anyone figures out how to get the maps to work from Memplug, or a way to park the whole shebang there so it will work, let me know! (I am having a similar difficulty with Bible Reader if you can help there, also!)

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    If anyone figures out how to get the maps to work from Memplug, or a way to park the whole shebang there so it will work, let me know! (I am having a similar difficulty with Bible Reader if you can help there, also!)

Thanks!
    I'll post it to the memplug yahoogroup and see what I can find out... I know that the maps work in internal memory.
    My maps work flawlessly from my HS 8mb flash module. Even my 4.3mb L.A. county enhanced map (and that was with less than 1mb free in internal memory).

However, my L.A. map will not work from my CF MemPlug.

Version 4.0.1C (beta) would get a fatal exception. Version 4.0.2 tells me it cannot open it then will actually open it with VERY limited data. Major Bummer!

All my other (much smaller) maps work just fine with PiDirect. I haven't tried them through VFS manager.

For now, I just run my LA map from the 8mb module.

Joe
    Joe V. - Sprint Nextel Business Solutions - SoCal
    My maps seem to work find using a Memplug SM w/ PiVFSMgr. True, I had moved the maps using one of the v3 betas. but viewing the files in the /Palm/Programs/Mapopolis directory has been fairly easy. Perhaps this new beta truncates the file name or something.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I've an older version of Mapopolis (v3.0) on my spare Palm IIIxe with a Rand-McNally GPS unit. The two work pretty well and have replaced my paper maps in the car. However, with the advent of v4.0, free time-limited maps are now available instead of the free basic ones. When do the time-limited maps cease to function, if ever?

I guess I'll have to fork-out the bucks for any maps I haven't previously downloaded as free
    Experience is what happens when something unexpected comes up.
    I think it is really disappointing that they made the basic maps something you had to buy. I gather though that most people just downloaded the basic maps rather than the enhanced maps when they made the latter cost money. All of my maps come from before they started charging money for the map. Although I am thinking of purchasing 3 of the premium maps next week.

However, don't underestimate the usefulness of the free, time limited maps. They maybe great for when you are taking a trip and don't exactly want to pay for ever map you need for the trip. You can still download the maps, put them on your card, and you would then delete them when your trip is done.

I do agree though, I think the prices for the other mapswould have been better had they been for a entire state or an entire metropolitian area and not just a county.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?

Thanks!
    Go to www.launchplug.com. The site shows how to do this. There is a problem with moving maps using PiMover. You must use Mapopolis to move the maps or do it with a card reader.
    Originally posted by A. Yee
    Did you by any chance try the Premium map? How good is the driving directions? I asked them if they going to have a CD for all the Premium maps. They said they should have it in 1st Quarter 2002. Let's hope so....

Works great... except for one problem. I type in my address and it's not found... THEN I get rid of the directional (13409 Cedar Circle E to 13409 Cedar Circle), and it suddenly comes up with CEDAR CIRCLE DRIVE EAST. Sheesh! Once THAT was figured out, the driving directions are right on the money.

Dana

Thanks!
    Okay, asked on the MEMPlug egroups list, and here's what I found... you need to move the maps to the MemPlug with either a card reader OR Mapopolis... if you use PiMover it will change the fiilename slightly, and Mapopolis will not see the maps.

Dana
    Originally posted by DanaWheels

Okay, asked on the MEMPlug egroups list, and here's what I found... you need to move the maps to the MemPlug with either a card reader OR Mapopolis... if you use PiMover it will change the fiilename slightly, and Mapopolis will not see the maps.

Dana
    Hmm, I thought I put them there with my card reader, but maybe I DID use PIDirect... I'll check on this.

Thanks DanaWheels, nkawtg, and everyone else!
    I jumped into the premium, because I used v. 2.0 for so long. The driving directions were right on the money, even picking up one way streets, and an alley near the house.

I have to load the program and the maps to RAM, and I copy them to my MatchBookDrive where both the program and the maps reside comfortably until called by FAFileMover with VFS Helper. A few notes:

1. To view a map from the external memory card, the program copies the map to RAM. That's fine for searching and traveling through one county at a time. The maps are deleted from RAM upon exiting the application. You can also "Load Contiguous Maps", but that doesn't really help if the maps are larger than your free RAM. At 1+ Mb a map, a few counties is easily more than my RAM can handle.

2. I have not been able to map or find text directions through more than one county at a time. So if you are taking a trip through more than one county, you will need to keep swapping maps and directions.

3. I wish you could store the text of the driving directions or a maplet of your route so you can refer to them latter without reloading, and remapping the route. Maplets are great for fixed points, but I haven't figured out how to "maplet" a route, or map a "routelet".

4. Having a GPS in your springboard slot would require a lot of shuffling of maps unless you devote the RAM to maps (reminds me of my first Compaq with one 360K floppy drive that required the floppy shuffle to save and print word processing documents). I have not tried the GPS version of the maps with a serial port connected antennae.

Overall it is great application for searching for directions and routes. If only Geode were here to take it to the next level.
    I agree with 'mgflorez'. I'd often wished that the GPS modules built for the Handspring would include some on-board RAM, say 16Mb or so. It is a pain to swap modules around. Yeah, the GPS unit may be a little more expensive, but the end-user would gain more value.

Just my $0.02.
    Experience is what happens when something unexpected comes up.
    I have Mapopolis version 2.0 on my Visor with all of the maps that I have needed for the last couple of years (~12). Today I wanted to add one map but it requires upgrading to version 4.0. After upgrading, will my old maps from 2.0 work with 4.0 or will I need replace all of my old maps with current versions?

Mark
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    The maps for Mapopolis 2.0 works for me when I upgraded to 4.0.

Originally posted by mark d
    I have Mapopolis version 2.0 on my Visor with all of the maps that I have needed for the last couple of years (~12). Today I wanted to add one map but it requires upgrading to version 4.0. After upgrading, will my old maps from 2.0 work with 4.0 or will I need replace all of my old maps with current versions?

Mark