Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Is anyone doing any work on Google Voice for the Garnet OS? I am waiting for the Pre to come to Verizon Wireless before jumping to WebOS. Meanwhile, Google Voice looks like a killer service I would like to use via my Centro.
    Last edited by DRKayak; 10/24/2009 at 04:54 PM.
    I'm using it on my Centro right now and it's awesome. People who call in have to state their name first before they are transferred to my phone. My phone rings as usual with caller-ID shown. If I pick up, I will hear the person's name and I have the option to answer or send to voicemail. If that person leaves a voicemail, it is then translated in words and sent to me as a text message. I get to read the message without calling my Voicemail Box. Google Voice is really cool. I like it.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    When visiting the Google Voice website, it appears they have the app for Android and Blackberry phones. They have an "other" phone option. Did you download the "other" phone option? To dial with Google Voice, do you have to dial your Google Voice Number and then enter the phone number you want to dial?
    Quote Originally Posted by DRKayak View Post
    Is anyone doing any work on Google Voice of the Garnet OS?
    Yes, this guy is currently developing an app.
    When visiting the Google Voice website, it appears they have the app for Android and Blackberry phones. They have an "other" phone option. Did you download the "other" phone option? To dial with Google Voice, do you have to dial your Google Voice Number and then enter the phone number you want to dial?
    I use Google Voice mainly to receive calls or give out my Google number to businesses. The only time I use Google Voice to call out is when I have to make an International Call. This way I don't have to carry a calling card with me. In addition, Google Voice International calls has outstanding clarity and very reasonable rates. So to answer your question , yes, you do have to dial Google Voice and pick option #2 to make a phone call.
    The mobile website for Google Voice works just fine on my Centro.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Thanks for the link for the Google Voice app. It works great on Centro. The contact list can be improved a little bit, but overall it works well.
    I tried the link above (www.google.com/voice/m) on my centro. When you click on Play, it uses Kinoma Player and then states "unsupported media type". Has anyone had success playing messages on their Centro ??
    That's the one piece I haven't figured out yet.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Instead of clicking 'Play' , save the file to your card, then you can listen to it in Ptunes.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I received my Google Voice invitation this week and got a number I like. I tried it out expecting it to be Skype like and not having the audio quality I want. So far, it sounds great and the pass off time from Google's server to my phone is really fast. No lags from the time a phone call is placed to me via Google Voice and the time it arrives on my phone. This seems like a good tool. I am only using it for incoming calls and using my regular provider for outgoing calls.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I am only using it for incoming calls and using my regular provider for outgoing calls.
    And for anyone still having a landline, it's a great way to make free long distance calls (avoiding using cellphone minutes). Everyone with internet and a landline (unless they have some free long distance plan) should have Google Voice just for making free outgoing calls.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
    And for anyone still having a landline, it's a great way to make free long distance calls (avoiding using cellphone minutes). Everyone with internet and a landline (unless they have some free long distance plan) should have Google Voice just for making free outgoing calls.
    Good Points! I have always used my cell for long distance but I see how this could save your minutes and $$ for long distance calls.
    I wasn't able to get the Google voice for Palm OS working on my 755p, but I'll keep trying.

Anyway, Google Voice is my primary phone number for both incoming and outgoing calls. To make outgoing calls, I use a couple of methods.

1. Call my Google Voice number, press 2, then dial the number followed by #. (Depending on how you have GV set up and which phone you're calling from, you might have to dial an asterisk (*) when GV answers and your PIN before pressing 1.

2. I set up Favorites (Speed Dial) for my most frequently called numbers. The Speed Dial is set up similar to #1 above. Dial my GV number, then use Extra Digits for the rest.

3. I often use GV mobile web through Blazer to initiate calls.

Why is GV my primary number? Well, with Sprint's Pick 3 on my account, I get free incoming and outgoing calls to 3 numbers. GV is one of them, so I talk as much as I want for free! Also, I can make free calls to Canada and cheap calls to the UK using GV.

Downside to using Google Voice? I'm a bit frustrated at times having to dial my GV number first, followed by my contact's number. I'm especially frustrated when the auto-dialed numbers get inexplicably buggered up. In other words, the auto-dialed numbers sometimes are misdialed.

Note that some folks are using TakePhone in conjunction with GV.
    What I'm having trouble with is dialing out from my treo. I want to use my own address book, not the one on google's web site (which I don't keep as up to date and is slower to use)

What i really want is just an app that will use the contact DB on my (palm OS) Treo and dial my GV #, pause to press 2 to make an outgoing call and then dial a number I select from my contacts.

I looked at just tweaking the dial preferences but all my GV #s need to be 10 digits (including area code).

Does TakePhone help me here?

I'm liking google voice for these reasons:

1)I can call clients from my cel phone without giving out my cel phone # - important becuase I don't want them to call me on it. They can call back my google voice # and I can choose to ignore it.

2)I can call folks and the return address will be my google voice #, so if they call back they'll catch me at home or on mobile phone both. I also like the voicemail TXT and email'ed to me.

3)I can call from my business outgoing line (which is a blocked #) and give my GV # rather than 'no caller ID', which doesn't look as professional.