Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

I know this question has probably been asked before, but new software is always being developed, so I figured I would ask again.

My Current set-up:

Visor Deluxe w/Palm Desktop 4.0.1
    QuickOffice 5.6.3
    FlashPlus & 32MB Compact Flash (both on order)

I am looking for Scheduling Software that is more advanced than the Datebook+ that ships with the VD.

Other organization, back-up, and utility software recommendations would also be helpful, especially software to use with the FlashPlus module.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by stccb; 01/02/2002 at 01:18 PM.
    "When in doubt, see into the life of things . . ."
    Originally posted by stccb
    All-Around, Most Useful Software?
    Software that I use near daily (other than those in ROM): DateBk4 and AvantGo
    I am looking for Scheduling Software that is more advanced than the Datebook+ that ships with the VD
    See DateBk4 above. DateBook+ is actually a stripped down version of DateBk3.
    (want to be able to schedule Annual re-curring events, not just weekly or monthly).
    Okay, you lost me. Datebook+ (as well as Datebook) can do Daily (every n days), Weekly (every n weeks on specific days of the week), monthly (every n months on specific day (e.g. second Tuesday) or specific date (e.g. the 15th)), or yearly (every n years).
  3.    #3  
    Potter,

Thanks. I made that assumption (annual scheduled events) based on the limited info in the "Quick Reference" guide that came with my Deluxe. After reading your post, I reviewed the CD-ROM user's manual, and it's there. To avoid further confusion, I have edited my post.

Thanks
    Scott
    Software I can't live w/o:

DayNotez
    Auto Slate
    DataViz Docs To Go
    DataViz Mail
    File Man
    PocketQuicken
    OnCradleOn
    Silver (I can live w/o, but wouldn't like it much)
    WhatzUp
    BugMe Messenger

Blazer
    AvantGo
    AOL
  5.    #5  
    Thanks dorelse. Nice list.

Anyone got some recommended programs to use with the FlashPlus module?

Scott
    Anyone got some recommended programs to use with the FlashPlus module?
    Launcher III. Get it. You might also try PowerRun, but by the you're ready for that kind of tweaking you'll know...

WordSmith is my word processor of choice, and it works well with the flashplus. ISilo is my reader of choice and it also works very well with the flashplus. SplashPhoto is my viewer of choice and it works well with the flashplus, but since you're sporting a VDX, I would suggest looking into fireviewer (it can display a full 16 shades of grey)

Soon, a version of CardBackup will be available (it's in beta) for the flashplus... it is sincerely better than the backup module. watch www.jkware.com.

have fun!
    My list of essential software would include:

Launcher III - a very good launcher
    Datebk4 - a very good scheduling program with integrated ToDo's plus split views of your Address book, todo's, and memos
    Wordsmith - enhanced memo pad, wordprocessor, and doc reader
    iSilo and Tomeraider - the programs themselves are not essential but the files they contain, a history of the world time line to December 2001 and a movie database is.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    More votes for Launcher III, WordSmith, and BugMe (although DiddleBug works about the same and is free!)

I like DateBook 4, but I USE Action Names Datebook, even though they broke the unwritten Code and are charging for an update (GASP!) I don't need the update, though, so I did not bother.

With the FlashPlus, you probably will want PowerRUN at some point. I found that using Launcher III to run from the card slowed things down too much, but PowerRUN makes it go pretty quick!

You'll probably want (or is this 'NEED'?) VFSHelper as well.

CSpotRun is great since it will let you store a ton of books on the card and read them at your leisure, but you already got that program with the FlashPlus!

SplashPhoto lets you use the memory card nicely to store pictures on- saves a lot of space!

I really like having a card reader plugged into my computer to do file management on the card with. It is not software, so it does not really count in the question, but I would not have a card without a reader newadays!
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the info!
    Scott
  10.    #10  
    Is PowerRun compatible with Palm OS 3.1??

Thanks,
    Scott
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Launcher III. Get it. You might also try PowerRun, but by the you're ready for that kind of tweaking you'll know...

WordSmith is my word processor of choice, and it works well with the flashplus. ISilo is my reader of choice and it also works very well with the flashplus. SplashPhoto is my viewer of choice and it works well with the flashplus, but since you're sporting a VDX, I would suggest looking into fireviewer (it can display a full 16 shades of grey)

have fun!
    If you have WordSmith, what would you use iSilo for? Doesn't WordSmith view most doc type files?

Dana
    Originally posted by DanaWheels

If you have WordSmith, what would you use iSilo for? Doesn't WordSmith view most doc type files?

Dana
    Wordsmith reads DOC files and Wordsmith docs either created with Wordsmith or on your computer's word processor. I also use iSilo to read webpages that consist of multiple pages. For example, I have a document that consist of an entire website at http://timelines.ws . Now that you have a Memplug, and if you have a card reader, I would definitely consider converting this website to iSilo format. The document I have is 14.5 MB in size but at one time I had it as small as 7 MB.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Really? That would really help me do reports... the regulations I report on are in HTML format and it would be great to have them on my Visor. Is iSilo expensive?

Dana
    Originally posted by DanaWheels
    Really? That would really help me do reports... the regulations I report on are in HTML format and it would be great to have them on my Visor. Is iSilo expensive?

Dana
    Thats the one bad thing about iSilo. EVen though the upgrade to v3.0 was free to registered users, the price for everyone else went up from 12.50 to 19.95. The way it formats pages makes it the best html viewers for the Palm and thats what I use it for. Plus, it allows pictures. Wordsmith should soon have table support but pictures are out of its league for the time being (remember it is a editor after all).
    Originally posted by volcanopele

Thats the one bad thing about iSilo. EVen though the upgrade to v3.0 was free to registered users, the price for everyone else went up from 12.50 to 19.95. The way it formats pages makes it the best html viewers for the Palm and thats what I use it for. Plus, it allows pictures. Wordsmith should soon have table support but pictures are out of its league for the time being (remember it is a editor after all).
    Okay, I'm confused. According to Palmgear it's $17.50, not $19.95. Are they confused, or are you confused?

Dana
    Here's my list of must have's:

4.0 Student (http://www.handmark.com/products/40student/) - great for students!

BigClock (http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...22&prodID=1611) - great clock app

DateBk4 (http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk4.htm) - ditto past comments

HandyShopper2.1 (http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...22&prodID=5314) - if you go to the same grocery store regularly, this FREE app can really save you some time. I've heard people use it as a todo manager, too

LifeBalance (www.llamagraphics.com) - this is the best hierarchical task manager I've ever seen. It may cost a pretty penny, but I think it's well worth it.

Pocket Quicken (www.landware.com) - If you use Quicken, or if you're just looking for a great Palm application to help you keep track of your money, this is the best program.

Toggle (http://www.ardiri.com/index.php?redir=palm&cat=toggle) - this is an absolute must application (and it's free!). If you haven't noticed, the Palm OS on grayscale Visors doesn't take full advantage of the PDA potential display depth. With this app, you can increase the display depth of the Palm OS to varying degrees. You can also use it to change the icons for your apps. All you need to do is take Silver and change the icons to whatever you like from their collection of icons. Then you uninstall Silver from your Visor, use Toggle, and get your replacement icons without all of the bells and whistles (or junk) that come with using Silver. The best part of this is that you can use the free demo version of Silver to do this. In other words, you can change your application icons for free and without your precious memory going to applications like silver.

Vivonic - this is a GREAT diet and exercise log, although it costs an arm and a leg (I think it was $50 when I got it). I use it every day, and the exercise plans they offer are great. They desktop companion is also unbeatable. If you want more info, check out their website at www.vivonic.com.

Last but not least, Wordsmith (www.bluenomad.com) is a great program for reading or writing.

Lee
    Last edited by vdoochld; 01/04/2002 at 02:01 AM.
    Is PowerRun compatible with Palm OS 3.1??

Thanks,
    Scott
    I KNOW PowerRUN says it is for the Palm 3.5 OS or higher, but it does work quite nicely on the 3.1.

To make the best use of the FlashPlus, you need to get to know Dave and Kopsis Engineering (www.kopsisengineering.com) real well. There is also a forum or something on Yahoo you should join!

PowerRUN was my fave FlashPlus utility for several months, then things got buggy on my Deluxe and I had a terrible run of fatal resets. I stripped almost everything out and stopped using any VFS-type program.

I was going to rebuild everything back one app at a time, but then had the chance to upgrade to upgrade to a Prism, and decided to give MemPlug another chance for the picture and movie capabilities.
    Keeping to the Bare Minimum:

- Backup Buddy
    - Datebk4
    - If you have a memory card w/VFS, Launcher III

I could go on and on (WordSmith, HandiShopper, AvantGo... Aieeee!), but those are the biggies.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Plucker, Launcher III, PhlegmHack/Mcphling, X-Master, PalmReader, Noah, Docs-to-Go.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Launcher III, DateBk4, McFile, WordSmith, CJKOS (for reading Chinese novels and such).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast