Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I downloaded the photo app from the handspring site and got pictures to the file, only to have my visor dlx tell me that "version 3.5 or higher of palm OS required. Yet the CD_rom says the version is 4.0.1. Anyone else have this problem? Is it supposed to work on the Visor DLX? If not are there other similar apps that may work? Thanks!
  2. #2  
    It requires that the version of the OS on your DLX be 3.5 or higher. The DLX's have 3.1. The CD-Rom says 4.01 because that is the version of the desktop software for hotsyncing with your DLX.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by new visor user
    "version 3.5 or higher of palm OS required. Yet the CD_rom says the version is 4.0.1.
    I know... it's confusing

    The Palm OS and Palm Desktop are entirely different animals. The OS is on the handheld and cannot be upgraded on Visor's due to the lack of flash ROM. When looking at the requirements to run different applications, etc, it's generally the OS version that matters.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  4. #4  
    This is exactly why I do regret purchasing a Visor in the first place. Don't get me wrong I like the Dlx, but the non flashable ROM is the #1 reason why a HS device will not be my next purchase. I've begun to se many apps that require at least v3.5 of the OS now.

    Live and learn I guess...

    Cheers,
    Ark.
  5. #5  
    ...you mean to tell me that Handspring itself is making apps that are nocompliant with OS3.1??!?! And yet they claim that an upgradable OS is not important to most people!
  6.    #6  
    and what type of pda has upgradable os? Thanks for all the info!
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    ...you mean to tell me that Handspring itself is making apps that are nocompliant with OS3.1??!?! And yet they claim that an upgradable OS is not important to most people!
    The Application is the HandSpring Photo Album. It was actually designed to be used with the PRISM.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by new visor user
    and what type of pda has upgradable os? Thanks for all the info!
    Sony, Palm, INC. and HandERA. Not sure about the IBM WorkPad but I would assume it does as well.

    Pretty much every PalmOS manufacturer but HandSpring.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  9. #9  
    I've had my VDX for two years, come tomorrow! While it's the lack of an OS upgrade never bothered me before, now it's starting to bother me.

    I don't need this fancy photo software, but I am an avid user of Datebk4 (which works great on any Visor, by the way). The problem is that the next version of Datebk4 may not support anything older than 4.0. At that point, I'll have to get a different PDA.

    I would gladly pay (and would have when I got the VDX) an extra 20-30 bucks for the opportunity to upgrade the OS one day.

    As much as I like Handspring, I might find myself moving to Sony (I really like that JogDial...).

    It's ironic that the once mainstream PDA of powerusers might be ditched for a more mainstream company's PDA by those very same power users. (That was a poorly written sentence, but I don't have it in me to rephrase it. Sorry.)

    Rolando
  10. #10  
    If you want a good picture viewer try Fireviewer. You can find it at Palmgear.com or Firepad.com
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  11. #11  
    hey Rolando.. i think two years of service is good for a PDA. I would have been more sympathetic to your cause if you had just bought the unit say a year ago. The fact of the matter is that your Sony (if you decide to switch will be just as useless in two years. No PDA currently on the market can upgrade beyond Palm OS 4.x.


    Originally posted by Rolando
    I've had my VDX for two years, come tomorrow! While it's the lack of an OS upgrade never bothered me before, now it's starting to bother me.

    I don't need this fancy photo software, but I am an avid user of Datebk4 (which works great on any Visor, by the way). The problem is that the next version of Datebk4 may not support anything older than 4.0. At that point, I'll have to get a different PDA.

    I would gladly pay (and would have when I got the VDX) an extra 20-30 bucks for the opportunity to upgrade the OS one day.

    As much as I like Handspring, I might find myself moving to Sony (I really like that JogDial...).

    It's ironic that the once mainstream PDA of powerusers might be ditched for a more mainstream company's PDA by those very same power users. (That was a poorly written sentence, but I don't have it in me to rephrase it. Sorry.)

    Rolando
  12. #12  
    I agree that two years is a good run. Yes, I've had mine for two years, but many of my coworkers just got theirs a few months ago.

    I never thought my VDX would last this long, but it has and I'll have to get rid of it. It's like "putting the dog down" instead of being able to let him go on his own.

    Rolando
  13. #13  
    Two years ago the Prism was probably in the $400 range. Throwing away a $400 PDA after merely two years could get expensive. I think two years is a short period of time for such an expensive device.

    Handspring disappoints everyone every time by announcing that its newest PDA won't have an upgradable OS. They are hard-headed towards their customers' needs now and that will be their downfall. When HS first started out, everything was about the customer being first. Now its about getting their stock up with products that make waves in the media but sell poorly (i.e. Edge, Visorphone, Treo(?)) These products look cool but lack the innovation of Sony and even Palm.

Posting Permissions