1.    #1  
    I've had a Centro for about a year, give or take. I LOVE the phone. Just recently (that I've noticed) I've been having problems with it and was hoping for some help. I'm not an overly technical person so any help given in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance if any of these problems have been discussed in detail elsewhere - feel free to direct me!

A few weeks ago, I was sending out texts and not getting any replies. It took me a couple of days to realize that I wasn't being ignored - they just weren't coming in on my phone. My texts were going out, and I was receiving calls, just no texts. I took the battery out and let it reboot, and had several messages to come in. I've done that a handful of times in the last few weeks. I've had people call and have their call go straight to voicemail. I don't think it happens terribly often, however. I've also realized that I can no longer receive or send picture messages. I've had occasions where I didn't realize a text had come in (I keep the phone on vibrate and in my pocket almost always), BUT I don't know if that was b/c my pants were loose and I just didn't feel the vibration or if it didn't vibrate at all. It has frozen up a few times (usually when purging old texts), but taking the battery out and rebooting took care of it.

I don't use the internet - have downloaded maybe 5 or 6 ringtones, MAYBE checked the weather a couple of times - but I don't have a data plan, so I rarely use it. I got the phone on a recommendation and because of the QWERTY, strictly for texting. I REALLY don't want to get a new phone, if there is a simple solution. I hate not knowing if I'm not getting a text b/c my phone is acting up again. It's really annoying knowing someone is trying to send me a picture but it won't retrieve OR if I need an opinion on a pair of shoes and I can't send a picture!!

SO any suggestions/ideas/solutions?
    What is your service provider? Do you other software installed recently (not ringtone)?

Based on what you stated, it looks like your phone is not connecting to the service provider to get the text. If your incoming calls are going directly to the voicemail, then you are either in an area with minimal or no signal (therefore missing your text as well).
    You're not able to use MMS because you don't have a data plan. Picture messaging uses data.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    What is your service provider? Do you other software installed recently (not ringtone)?

Based on what you stated, it looks like your phone is not connecting to the service provider to get the text. If your incoming calls are going directly to the voicemail, then you are either in an area with minimal or no signal (therefore missing your text as well).
    I'm with AT&T. No, I haven't installed anything on this phone. I use it strictly as a phone - just for texts and calls. The calls going to voicemail is quite possibly a signal strength problem. My office tends to block my signal alot, but the texts I should have gotten. I was at home, as it was over a weekend, and I always have full signal at home. Like I said, as soon as I did the soft reset, I had 20+ messages to come in.

As for the MMS needing a data plan, that's not true, altho I do have a pay-per-use option on my plan. Up until a month or so ago, they were received and sent just fine. I've never been charged for internet use when sending a picture from one phone to another, only when sending to an email address.

Our area is just now being upgraded to 3G - is there a chance that could have something to do with the problems? I just tried to connect to the internet and it wouldn't connect.
    Text and MMS in AT&T should work fine with the Centro and requires no data plan.

I have another cell phone account using Centro without a data plan and it works fine with Text and MMS.

Any chance you called up AT&T for support? Are you based on the East Coast?
  6.    #6  
    I'm embarrassed to say I have not yet called AT&T, but I intend to on my lunch today. Yes, I'm on the East Coast... does that make a difference somehow?
    Yes, it has been report on another thread that Text and MMS is causing some issues with Centro users. The other users were with TMo service provided however.

I would not say it is the Centro that has a problem because I am with TMo and the phone line with the Centro certainly does not have any issues but I am on the west coast.