Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Tim, I just want to thank you for developing this software.

I have been using a Palm for almost ten years and a Treo for three years. I only use the Palm desktop. I do not use Outlook nor any of the internet calendars (Yahoo or Google). I will probably still cling to the PalmOS for the immediate future. Unfortunately, the long term looks pretty bleak. I had been looking for a way to export all of my Palm calendar when I came across this thread.

Could you or any other person reading this give me some advice on what to do with my calendar after I have created an export file. First of all, I use use Pimlico's Datebk5 on my Treo. I also use several categories in my Palm calendar and it is important for me to preserve and to use these categories in the future. This is the most important thing. I would like preserve the ability to use the "list" and search functions on my device. In fact, I would like any new desktop calendar to have a list function (available on my Treo but not on the Palm Desktop). Of course, I also have many repeating appointments and some alarms. So my questions are:

1. I have been using a Yahoo account for years and would prefer to have the new calendar on the same account. Is it possible to import the new calendar file to Yahoo, but more importantly is there any way to preserve the calendar categories in Yahoo?

2. The second option would be the Google calendar. Same question as in 1. From what I have read, I may be able to import each different category as a separate calendar into Google, but then would it be cumbersome to sync all these different calendars off of one mobile devide in the future?

3. Should I just be looking at a more powerful desktop option like Outlook? Any other suggestions for a desktop calendar software?

4. Finally, any comments on the functionality of the on-board calendars of the non-Treo devices, eg. Iphone, Blackberry, Android and Pre, compared to my current Treo. (Just playing around with some devices in the store, I get the feeling that the new PIM/PDA's have have lost alot of their business functionality in favour of the sizzle of graphics and webbrowsing). Once again the most important thing for me is categories and the ability to list and to search.

I am looking for the best way to make a full conversion/transition of my existing information while maintaining the functions which I have grown so fond of.

Thanks for all your help.

funpig
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    BTW, when I did a search of "palm2ical", I found an older piece of software with the same name. You may want to rename to avoid confusion

Also, as I stated earlier, I have been Datebk5 user for years (one of the reasons why I still like the PalmOS). The developer, Pimlico Software, has developed a new desktop calendar called Pimlical which looks interesting. I have not used it but it may be a way to convert the Palm calendar info to a more universal file type while retaining the functionality (especially Datebk5). I would guess that you could then import/sync it to a different mobile device if it is in the correct file type. This one costs about $20, but you get the improved desktop calendar and all of the proceeds goes to a gorilla sanctuary project. Of course, yours is free and then I can use it to import to different calendars to test out the new calendars. Anyways, FYI.
    Last edited by funpig; 01/13/2010 at 04:08 PM.
    I get an error when running this:

Code:
    [jensck@prodigal palm2ical-1.8]$ ./palm2ical ../CalendarDB-PDat.pdb 
    Can't locate Data/ICal/TimeZone.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at (eval 922) line 3.
    	...propagated at ./palm2ical line 1021.
    What's weird is that it seems I have that module already...

Code:
    [jensck@prodigal ~]$ ls -lh /usr/share/perl5/Data/ICal/Entry
    total 28K
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Mar 30 09:35 Alarm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K Jul  9  2009 Event.pm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.3K Jul  9  2009 FreeBusy.pm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.5K Jul  9  2009 Journal.pm
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Mar 30 09:35 TimeZone
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.2K Jul  9  2009 TimeZone.pm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.8K Jul  9  2009 Todo.pm
    For reference, I'm using Fedora 13.

Any idea how I can get this working? Many thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12