1.    #1  
    Hmmm...as stated on the VC homepage, Qualcomm has made an investment in HS. With this news, seems to me that a CDMA Treo is only a matter of time, maybe even sooner than any of us expected. The FAQ on the HS website about if a CDMA treo will be released was changed a while ago from "we are aggressively pursuing one" to "we will only announce those models as they become available" which kind of scared me. This Qualcomm investment makes me feel a lot better that it is HS's full intention to release a CDMA Treo within a reasonable amount of time.

Marty
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    amen, I hope a CDMA version is availiable soon. I live in a area with no GSM providers.

OrionNE
    The Qualcomm investment in Handspring makes me wonder if a CDMA Treo might appear before the GSM version (or at least at the same time).

If a CDMA Treo works as well as the Visor/Digital Link combination, I might just have to get me one.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    That would be great. The only thing that makes me hesitate about buying a Treo is the GSM coverage issue.
    Could be that Qualcomm recognized a great device with a lot of market potential and made the investment to help fund development of CDMA version. Which would be great, too, since I'm in a non-GSM area!
    Originally posted by VTL
    That would be great. The only thing that makes me hesitate about buying a Treo is the GSM coverage issue.
    Another problem I've found with my GSM phones is extremely disappointing battery life. Is this just coincidence, or is there something about GSM that just draws more power?

If your cell phone and your PDA are one, what impact does this have on how you have to charge? Dead batteries go from an annoyance to a major inconvnience.

So if the CDMA version of the Treo has the same battery life as the Sprint module, that might make a big difference in which one to buy for those of us that have good coverage for both services.
    Originally posted by dredhead
    Another problem I've found with my GSM phones is extremely disappointing battery life. Is this just coincidence...
    I'd say it must be just coincidence; what GSM phones do you have?

My Nokia 8210 is never turned off; it tends to get the occassional (30 minutes or so) charge when I'm in the car every couple of days, but I actually find it hard to get the battery to run right down.

It'll usually manage 3-4 days in standby (nearer 3 now that it's a couple of years old), and plenty of talk time.

More up to date models, like the 8310, or some of the new Ericsson models have much better battery life than an 'old' one like the 8210. The 8310 quotes 100-350 hours on standby, and even 20 hours use with the built in FM radio switched on.

Of course, if you have poor coverage, that will have an impact, as does going in and out of coverage all the time, as the phone will try to log on to a cell more frequently. That might give a perception for some US users of worse battery life on GSM.

But certainly, for most people I know (and here no one has had anything other than GSM for years), battery life simply isn't an issue these days.

Nigel.
  8.    #8  
    Saw this hypothesis on some other board as to why the CDMA Treo is coming out at a later date:

The maker of the Treo GSM chipset, Wizcom, does not yet have a CDMA chipset available but is rumored to be working on one and is suppose to have it available sometime in the not too distant future. If HS has an exclusive agreement to use Wizcom's chipsets for all Treos, this could very well be the reason why we aren't seeing the CDMA version released until later.

Marty