1.    #1  
    Daniel Siefert, who is the guy behind EasyLock, released Energy Dimmer recently. This is designed to help manage the power off/battery issues with color screens and indicates that is designed for Visor Prism (and some other color devices).

Problem is, when I installed and checked it on in Hackmaster, I got Fatal Alert "MemoryMgr.c,Line:4340, NULL handle" which is all Greek to me.

Anyone successfully using Energy Dimmer?
    Kelley
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I've been successfully using it for months (as a beta tester) on my Prism. I'm using TealMaster and over 15 other hacks. Dimmer has played well with all other stable (and some not so stable) hacks over the months of its development.

I'd try downloading it again to eliminate corruption as a problem.
    Do a warm reset (hold the up button while putting the paper clip in). This will stop all system software from loading.
    Now hotsync the new version and only enable it.

If you still have a problem, email dimmer@seifert.com, I'm sure Daniel will be happy to help you.

Otherwise, start re-enabling things slowly until you find the culprit.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Are you using Hackmaster? If so, you should use X-Master or TealMaster. I heard that Hackmaster has problems with dimmer. I am currently using X-Master 1.4.

Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Daniel Siefert, who is the guy behind EasyLock, released Energy Dimmer recently. This is designed to help manage the power off/battery issues with color screens and indicates that is designed for Visor Prism (and some other color devices).

Problem is, when I installed and checked it on in Hackmaster, I got Fatal Alert "MemoryMgr.c,Line:4340, NULL handle" which is all Greek to me.

Anyone successfully using Energy Dimmer?
    Kelley
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, everyone, for the input. I am a registered user of Hackmaster and haven't had any problems with it previously. However, this dimmer thing sounds like a good enough reason to switch...is it?
    Kelley
    Maybe I am missing something. But what can this hack do that the brightness adjuster on the Prism cannot?
  6.    #6  
    First, I switched to X-Master and now the dimmer app runs with no problem.

Yardie, it allows you to set a time (say 30 seconds) where it "dims" the screen to the setting you select. Then, to get back to maximum brightness, you just tap the screen or hit a key. It has a separate setting for the time limit to actually turn the unit off (supercedes the 1, 2, or 3 minute standard). This allows for the power saving feature of the auto off (by reducing pull for the power-hungry screen) while keeping you from having to "reboot" everytime.

Also, you can set up different profiles for meeting, word processing, etc.
    I've been using energy dimmer for about 6 weeks now. I have the maximum brightness set at 40% for 30 seconds and then it drops off to 2% for another 60 seconds. Using this has significantly increased my battery life.
    FWIW, I've been playing around with Energy Dimmer for the last few days and my battery usage has gone from 3 hours to 5 hours. Pretty neat!
    garinballbarin