1.    #1  
    Has anyone got the Wordsmith dictionary to run from the Visor flash module?

When I have the dictionary in Flash it runs but never seems to pick anything up.

Cheers

Martin
    I can't get either the spell checker or the thesaurus to work off of the flash module.

Given some of the discussion I've read at the Wordsmith Yahoo group, the two programs are expected to be able to run off of a flash card (although some people are having problems), but its not certain whether it will work with the flash module.
    I just went through the process of trying to get the dictionaries to work from the flash RAM of of my Thinmodem+ with no luck. I thought maybe this would work since the flash RAM is seen at the OS level not needing VFS support or anything.
    I haven't given it a try yet, but I will try it this weekend... Has anyone been successful with running it from their MemPlug via PiDirect?
    I emailed support and they said that NO, VFS will not work for the Visor at all... they are working on it, but not at this time. *sigh*

Dana
    The large dictionary file and thesaurus works great off my MemPlug CF card using PiDirect, and I also have PiVFS enabled so I can save to the CF card.

Spellcheck is slow but I'm guessing it's the same if you have the files in internal RAM.
    "Real intelligence is a creative use of knowledge, not merely an accumulation of facts." -- D. Kenneth Winebrenner
    Originally posted by Sequitor
    the two programs are expected to be able to run off of a flash card (although some people are having problems), but its not certain whether it will work with the flash module.
    The latest version is VFS-enabled meaning it should work from a CF or SM adapter module. The Handspring 8mb Flash module is not the same type of memory... it doesn't use or support VFS; it's memory directly accessible from the CPU. Only static data can be stored on the 8 mb Flash module. Any file needing to be written to won't work from there.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    The latest version is VFS-enabled meaning it should work from a CF or SM adapter module. The Handspring 8mb Flash module is not the same type of memory... it doesn't use or support VFS; it's memory directly accessible from the CPU. Only static data can be stored on the 8 mb Flash module. Any file needing to be written to won't work from there.
    I got an email from Nomad Software's support saying that the new version does NOT support the Visor at all with Springboard modules, but they are working on it for the next version.

Dana
    I use a Visor Platinum, I keep Wordsmith in the Visor's internal RAM but keep the Spellsmith app, dictionary and thesaurus on the MemPlug CF card. It works fine. I haven't tried using Wordsmith directly off the Memplug but I'd rather have it on internal RAM anyway so I can switch to WS if needed when using a modem springboard module.

Although WS is big, over 1/2 meg having the dictionaries in external RAM is good.
    "Real intelligence is a creative use of knowledge, not merely an accumulation of facts." -- D. Kenneth Winebrenner
    Originally posted by DanaWheels
    I got an email from Nomad Software's support saying that the new version does NOT support the Visor at all with Springboard modules, but they are working on it for the next version.
    Dana
    Yeah, I could no longer use WS from my "always-in" Thinmodem+ module. The program would run, but the documents wouldn't sync with the PC. I went back to version 2.01a.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"