Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had the Palm Centro (Sprint) since it came out and I've really gotten accustomed to the Palm OS. It seems to have a boatload of apps that other operating systems don't offer. My question is concerning the future of the Palm OS and whether any new phones are on the horizon. I get the feeling all the concentration is going to be with their Web OS and that the Palm OS is going away. Does anyone have any insight or opinions on this?
    The Palm future will be all WebOS. The EOS will be the Centro/680 replacement and once the rough edges are smoothed from WebOS, they won't need Windows for the business end of the market
    Palm has officially announced there will be no new PalmOS devices. The Centro is the last device. I have purchased a spare on eBay because I do not want to be left without this phone and OS (that I have been using since 1996)!
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    We can only hope and wait for the Jap company that bought the Palm software to keep it going. I don't know who it is, and just heard about it a few months back. So Palm doesn't even own the Palm we know.
    Access
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Access

and they basically also have abandoned the OS as well in favor of ALP.
    Why spend the money to buy it, then? Thanks for ruining that hope fstop!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No more Garnet devices from Palm is a definite. I'm also not counting counting on any future WinMob Palm devices OR even a WM6.5 update to the Treo Pro (a big mistake IMO).

In fact, we have no real certainty that Palm has anything else in the pipeline as far as WebOS devices other than the Eos/Pixie and that's by no means a confirmed device (see the rumors that it might be witheld until 2010). In short, I think that Palm's current management and EP are cutting the company down the bone in order to make it the most attractive possible acquisition target within the next 2 quarters.

I still have my 755p with plenty of accessories and two TX handhelds (one new, one used), so I have nothing to worry about. I may also pick up a cheap Centro "just in case". Right now I still have yet to see anything else equal the old Palm OS for basic day to day PIM and organizational functionality. Lots of multimedia fluff and bells'n whistles, yes. But I still place an emphasis on PIM functionality and user-friendliness over eye candy.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Right now I still have yet to see anything else equal the old Palm OS for basic day to day PIM and organizational functionality. Lots of multimedia fluff and bells'n whistles, yes. But I still place an emphasis on PIM functionality and user-friendliness over eye candy.

That is EXACTLY my position on the PalmOS/Centro. I want a PIM device! Yes, the WebOS has a nice Facebook integration, a few neat calendar features, and a nice web browser, but I just don't see it fitting my *real* needs.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I agree. I am hoping the WebOS will mature with time to become a good PIM device, but until then, I am grateful to have a Centro.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I heard that the Pre has an ap that allows users to run all the old aps. So does that help bridge the gap to a newer style PIM/Phone?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Yes they do. Yes it helps. But I am still happy enough with the Centro that I can wait until WebOS does directly what the Centro can do today. Just my take on the utility of the Centro.
    Yep the Pre does have "Classic." But if you really do think about it, the Pre and WebOS is VERY, VERY new. PalmOS is very mature and has had many years of improvement to get us to the point of the Centro. The longer you wait to switch to WebOS the better it will be. Just look at how much better the iPhone is now compared to it's initial release. Not even comparable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Why spend the money to buy it, then? Thanks for ruining that hope fstop!
    They bought it way back in 2005. I'm sure the Centro boom alone was plenty enough for them to make a nice profit. Ever wonder what that big ACCESS splash screen was when you reset your device?
    AHHH! Duh. Now I do, but no, I never wondered! Well, good for them, then. We wouldn't have even had the Centro if not for Access. Kudos to them! And here I thought I was still a Palm guy, but it turns out I'm an Access guy!!

As to the WebOS running Classic, sure it can, but does that mean that everything will still sync with a third party conduit? DocsToGo, Pics, as well as Contacts...etc. And do you end up with desktop software that is useful and useable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    As to the WebOS running Classic, sure it can, but does that mean that everything will still sync with a third party conduit? DocsToGo, Pics, as well as Contacts...etc. And do you end up with desktop software that is useful and useable?
    The Current version of Classic does not support Hotsync but a future release will do so.

As for the Centro, its gone from the Palm website. Its over guys.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Well, at least we now know there will DEFINITELY be a Centro replacement with WebOS coming on Sprint for the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Well, at least we now know there will DEFINITELY be a Centro replacement with WebOS coming on Sprint for the holidays.
    WebOS is already on Sprint. Ironically, Sprint is the one place you can still buy a Centro (I doubt that will be for long though). With the exception of the unlocked unbranded GSM WinMo Treo Pro, Palm is exclusively a Sprint phone provider right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    WebOS is already on Sprint.
    I think you mis-read her intended emphasis in that statement. She means:
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Well, at least we now know there will DEFINITELY be a Centro replacement (with WebOS) coming on Sprint for the holidays.
    But personally I don't agree with everyone calling the Pixi a 'Centro replacement'.. that's misleading since the two devices have completely unrelated software and hardware. It would be more correct to call it the 'WebOS equivalent to the Centro.' Then again, maybe I'm a tad nit-picky.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast