1.    #1  
    I am going to purchase either Microsoft Money or Quicken and both have compatable Palm OS software.

Does anyone have any feedback on which packages work best?

Lou
    No comments on either, other than I'd recommend considering SplashMoney as well.

I use it and like it greatly; however, I use only a fraction of its capabilities -- I tend to use it as an "Expense+" application, so to speak.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  3.    #3  
    Also-

I will be purchasing the desktop versions as well, plus a program like turbotax.

money seems to get better reviews than turbo tax but i was wondering about the integration of the palm devices.

lou
    All reiveiws I had heard last year in regards to turbotax was that it was the best (in sum), and that has been my experience as well.

I use Quicken 2001 and Pocket Quicken 2.01. Pocket Quicken does not send your transactions directly to the Quicken DB (none of the programs do to my knowledge) after you sync, you need to open quicken to accept the synced transactions into the DB. There also seems to be an issue where scheduled transactions in Quicken do not get entered when you record them on your visor. It will appear in the "Accept Transactions?" window, but once accepted, will be deleted by Quicken. Very Strange, but workeable. That said, I am very happy with the combination I have.
    Originally posted by ckrupsha
    All reiveiws I had heard last year in regards to turbotax was that it was the best (in sum), and that has been my experience as well.
    Ditto, but I think it's a pretty subjective choice.
    I use Quicken 2001 and Pocket Quicken 2.01. Pocket Quicken does not send your transactions directly to the Quicken DB (none of the programs do to my knowledge) after you sync, you need to open quicken to accept the synced transactions into the DB. [...]
    I don't consider that a problem, and it's also more integration than any other I've seen. Most of them that claimed to interface with Quicken still required you to import .QIF files when I last looked into it. IIRC, SplashMoney now works similar to PQ, but there were some complaints from Landware that their setup might not be stable. Ultimately, the PQ is the product that Intuit endorses, and I've no real complaints with it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    SplashMoney will upload your transactions directly to Quicken. Kinda cool, but I've stopped using Quicken since I registered SplashMoney, it's that good.
    xxx,
    Jenny
    I tried both those programs and didn't like either of them. I like both Pocket Money (www.catamount.com) and BankBook (www.bahsoftware.com) though. Both will upload quicken readable files. Not that I use that feature.

mc
    I made no claim that Pocket Quicke/Quicken synchronization requiring user input to enter PQ transactions into the main DB was a problem (wow, glad to see I have not lost my Grad school touch for convoluted sentences). However, these transactions will not appear on the handheld at the next sync UNLESS you eneter Quicken and manually accept them. If one is going to use the handheld as the main reference for quicken and the desktop as an occasional reference (rather than the other way around, as Intuit no doubt intended as evidenced by the way the interace works) this can lead to some mild confusion for the user. I only mentioned it becasue it is a significant part of the experience. It has plusses and minuses.
    I must say that Ultrasoft Money is an excellent product with excellent support. I have bee using their product for about 1.5 years. It is a great way to keep my MS money data with me on the go. It does sync directly to the MS Money database w/o the need for running any type of QIF import.

Another great feature is the family edition -- if there are 2 PDA users in your family you can get a copy for each. Each person can download separate accounts or the same accounts and keep in sync with each other.

Ultrasoft also has excellent customer support. I've followed their support newsgroup for well over a year and David (the program's author) is very prompt at answering.

You should get a demo of both products. MS Money's demo lasts for 60 days so get it first and start tracking your transactions for about a month. Then download the US Money demo and try it out for up to 30 days. A good try before you buy setup.

Brian
    LouisW
    It's funny that you should ask the question of which finance app to use. TODAY, I just decided to download and install UltraSoft MoneyPocket after reading an article in Handheld Computing Buyer's Guide. This is the Fall issue and they reviews on 14 different Finance apps. The apps and Scores were.......actually I'll just put the apps. We might end up with a heated debate here if I put the scores.
    1. Accounts and Loans
    2. AllMoney
    3. BalanceBook 2.0
    4. BankBook 3
    5. Mobil-Checkbook 1.1
    6. MoneyMinder 1.4
    7. MoneyTender Enhanced 2.1.3
    8. PMT-Personal Money Tracker 6.3
    9. PocketMoney 2.4.2
    10.Pocket Quicken 2.01
    11.QMate 1.5.3
    12.SplashMoney 2.4
    13.Ultrasoft Money Pocket Edition 2.2
    14.WalletMate 1.1

Pocket Quicken and Ultrasoft Money Pocket were tied with the highest rating. Personally I chose Money because it's features better suited me and my wife. You ought to check to see if you can pick it up if it's still out. I'll see if I can scan and email you the reviews for pocket quicken and money pocket. It may take a day or two since I have just moved into a new apartment. I need to find and install my scanner.
    Great Success always comes at the Risk of Great Failure.
    Originally posted by ckrupsha
    I made no claim that Pocket Quicke/Quicken synchronization requiring user input to enter PQ transactions into the main DB was a problem
    I made no claim that you said it was. I was simply acknowledging it as an existing issue and further stating that it didn't interfere with my experience as a user.
    (wow, glad to see I have not lost my Grad school touch for convoluted sentences). However, these transactions will not appear on the handheld at the next sync UNLESS you eneter Quicken and manually accept them. If one is going to use the handheld as the main reference for quicken and the desktop as an occasional reference (rather than the other way around, as Intuit no doubt intended as evidenced by the way the interace works) this can lead to some mild confusion for the user. I only mentioned it becasue it is a significant part of the experience. It has plusses and minuses.
    Personally, I see one using the handheld view as primary and using the desktop occasionally as a reference as a waste of money.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by In Living Color
    [...] Pocket Quicken and Ultrasoft Money Pocket were tied with the highest rating. Personally I chose Money because it's features better suited me and my wife. [...]
    Sounds a lot like their desktop counterparts, and like their desktop counterparts, I doubt if either could satisfy all parties.
    Originally posted by LouisW
    I am going to purchase either Microsoft Money or Quicken and both have compatable Palm OS software.

Does anyone have any feedback on which packages work best?

Lou
    I have registered both, but finally settled on Accounts and Loans (http://persweb.direct.ca/jleung/AL_Doc/index.html) in conjunction with QuikBudget (http://www.quiksense.com/).

MSMoney and Quicken do a fine job, and MSM partially integrates with QuikBudget (one-way, QB->MSM). However, I was also particular with how I would use the apps together. I really wanted to see my 'cleared balance' so I can compare with my online balance and where I can expect changes in my account to occur. I also wanted a budget app that would be easy to use and have features that would keep my spending in control. Finally, I wanted the two apps to be integrated. That is, changes in one app are reflected in the other, and vice-versa. I feel that the Accounts and Loans and QuikBudget combination did the trick.

Your mileage may vary...
    Experience is what happens when something unexpected comes up.
    Ultrasoft Money got my money, and my only regret is that I have to use Microsoft Money on my PC. USM does automatically sync with MSM, with no additional user action required beyond HotSync. Plus, the Family Edition does allow for two handhelds to sync to, and update, the same MSM file (perfect if you're married and both need access to the checkbook.)

That said, I HATE Microsoft Money! I have v2000 with Small Business (they sent it to me in error when I bought Standard and told me to keep it.) It has never worked properly, and it has way too much info. I know others need it, but I'd like the option to hide that which I currently don't use. The Bills & Budget features do not work together as promised, and I've had other complaints off and on.

Why do I keep it? USM. To cover both my checking/savings and budget accounts (i.e. how much do I have left to spend on dinner tonight, and how much is actually in checking before I get paid tomorrow) I use cash accounts for each budget category and enter each transaction twice. It's a bit of a pain, but it allows me to see that I have $40 budgeted for dining out this month, but only $20 in my checking, all within a single program interface.

Finally, kudos to USM tech support. The developer was very nice and responsive after I posted a review long ago. (Plus, he apparently lives in Bermuda where my brother has been blowing glass for the last three years, and when I told him that, he dropped by to say hi - small world!) Bottom line: USM has been much more friendly & reliable than MSM, but I like USM enough to recommend them both.
    "So God created evil so that we'd all be really impressed when he fixed it? Sounds like Microsoft."
    - ****-richardson
    Plus, the Family Edition does allow for two handhelds to sync to, and update, the same MSM file (perfect if you're married and both need access to the checkbook.)
    Hey LaoTzim,
    I also like how USM automatically syncs with MSM without any other steps other then just to hot sync. I was wondering how do you like the family addition? It could be very useful for me now that my wife is beginning to use her visor more.

Thanks in advance.
    Great Success always comes at the Risk of Great Failure.