1.    #1  
    I've been using Avantgo for some time...and am generally happy with it (the single biggest reason for battery drain on my VDX).

My brother uses Vindigo, and wants to know why he should switch to Avantgo. I guess I don't know what Vindigo does...does anyone use both? I use MyYahoo to provide my movie updates...and one of the many City guides when I travel.

Whats the deal with Vindigo?
    The applications are very different and valuable in their own ways.

Vindigo is a database based on location. That is to say, if you are in NY or one of the other cities that Vindigo supports, you can have local info (movies, restaurants, shopping and more) downloaded on your PDA. On top of that you can enter your location and get (walking) directions to any place in the city. There are also reviews included with the application. Each time you sync, the database is updated.

AvantGo is a more general application. It allows you to sync handheld friendly channels or other Web pages to your PDA. This includes news, sports, weather, city info and more. You can also get directions though mapquest or mapblast.

Both are wonderful free apps and I use them regularly, but they are different and valuable for separate reasons.

Try Vindigo out. I would not sacrafice either of them. If I HAD to choose, Vindigo would go simply becuase I find AvantGo more valuable.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    My brother uses Vindigo, and wants to know why he should switch to Avantgo. I guess I don't know what Vindigo does...does anyone use both? I use MyYahoo to provide my movie updates...and one of the many City guides when I travel.
    For what it does (restaurants, bar/nightlife, some shops, directions, movie times, and I hear maps--not available in the TC), Vindigo beats out Avantgo in every category. Movietimes are searchable by location (where you're at), venue (your favorite theater), genre, and specific movies. Same with restaurants, bars, etc. It is fast and user friendly and provides walking directions. If you live in a city that vindigo covers, get it now.

Of course, dumping avantgo isn't an option unless you've the time and wherewithal to figure plucker out. (soon soon...)
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by WM5051
    If I HAD to choose, Vindigo would go simply becuase I find AvantGo more valuable.
    I didn't mean to imply that one had to choose, only that my brother had couched the discussion in terms of "why would I want Avantgo when I already have Vindigo?".
    "why would I want Avantgo when I already have Vindigo?".
    Ah. one word: Onion.

I didn't mean to imply that one had to choose, only that my brother had couched the discussion in terms of "why would I want Avantgo when I already have Vindigo?".
    I'd answer that this way:
    • I use AvantGo for getting reading material -- newspaper and magazine articles
    • I use Vindigo for getting local event information -- movie times and restaurant reviews

I use both.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    I'd answer that this way:
    • I use AvantGo for getting reading material -- newspaper and magazine articles
    • I use Vindigo for getting local event information -- movie times and restaurant reviews
    I use both.
    Same reason why I use both. Just to add a few things:

With Avantgo, you can also get a lot of news, sports, stock info, weather, etc.
    With Vindigo, you can also get info on shopping info by locale.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Can Vindigo update wirelessly? or do you have to hotsync?
    xxx,
    Jenny
    Vindigo can update wirelessly, have to set up your account to update as such
    Vindigo also has maps & directions for the cities it supports. I live in Chicago, and it really helps out for figuring out where to go.

I often use it to give options of places to eat for lunch and dinner because it sorts offerings based on how far the locations are from a given point.

<URL removed by Moderator>
    Originally posted by monster_clash
    Vindigo also has maps & directions for the cities it supports. I live in Chicago, and it really helps out for figuring out where to go.
    Yes. The map for Chicago is great. However, there aren't maps for all the cities.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    on a SIDE NOTE...

what's the best way to run Vindigo and Avantgo from external memory?

yeah, i wrote that ...