1.    #1  
    OK, so I've had my Prism for 2 months now and it's all good. I'm so organised it's unreal!

The only problem I have is with datebook+, I just don't really like it much... I know this might be me and not the software, but there is just something about it that bugs me.

What do you use? What cna you recommend for keeping your life on schedule?

Apart from this I'm loving - Bejeweled, Space Trader, Vexed, PocketMoney, WordSmith, Blazer (with my Nokia 6210 it rocks!), myphoto, Fireviewer and SilverScreen.

Is there anything that I've missed out that I should try???

Please help me complete my life!
    Action Names is what I use all the time, it replaces Datebook+, Addresses, and ToDos for me, which frees up the 2 middle hardware buttons!
    xxx,
    Jenny
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have been using a new program called DateMan that just released the public version today. I do not know if it will be on PalmGear, but you can go to standalone.com and it is under the "application" tab.

I like it because it opens with my todo's and a list of events and appointments I have for the next week. The time frame can be change and the way things are displayed can be changed. It has various day, week, month, and year views.

There is a yahoo group where the bete discussion has been taking place, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DateMan. You can get lots of info there.

I have been using DateBook4, but never used its full potential and it is a big program.

Give DateMan a look.
    Howard
    Can't let somebody mention actionnames without putting in a plug for its more complicated (but also more worthy, IMO) competitior, datebook4. Both AN and DB4 have trial periods. Give them both a try.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Can't let somebody mention actionnames without putting in a plug for its more complicated (but also more worthy, IMO) competitior, datebook4. Both AN and DB4 have trial periods. Give them both a try.
    When I upgraded to the CLIE I really missed DateBook+. I finally decided to take the plunge and downloaded DateBook4. Man, oh Man, I love this App.

There are so many great features, many of which I am sure I am not using. I just got it a couple of weeks back and have not had time to investigate completely, but so far it has been splendid.

I have no experience with ActionNames, but here it is great as well. I would do exactly what dietrichbohn said, try them both and go with your favorite.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I just checked out the DateMan manual, and it seems cool, but doesn't do anything for your contacts. ActionNames lets you link contacts to appointment, todos, and calls. I especially like how it gives you a popup menu when you tap and hold on a linked contact, and you can go directly to the notes for that contact, schedule followups, etc. I don't know about DatBk 4's contact linking, but AN saves me a bunch of time and data entry.
    xxx,
    Jenny
    ActionNames Datebook!
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Originally posted by Galley_SimRacer
    ActionNames Datebook!

agreed!

get it at www.iambic.com

mc
    Originally posted by JennyKitten
    I just checked out the DateMan manual, and it seems cool, but doesn't do anything for your contacts. ActionNames lets you link contacts to appointment, todos, and calls. I especially like how it gives you a popup menu when you tap and hold on a linked contact, and you can go directly to the notes for that contact, schedule followups, etc. I don't know about DatBk 4's contact linking, but AN saves me a bunch of time and data entry.
    DateBook4 also allows linking with AddressBook and ToDo's. This is one of the coolest features.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JennyKitten
    I just checked out the DateMan manual, and it seems cool, but doesn't do anything for your contacts.
    I do not know exactly what you are wanting to do, but Dateman does allow you to link to names, to dos, and other appointments. I do not have a lot of call for linking to names, so I never found AN that useful, though I am sure it is a great program. I found it too confusing for the purposes I needed.

I guess it is all in what you need.

I am just glad to see people creating programs that meet different needs.
    Howard
    DB4 allows linking and automatic and manual logging to the contacts "note" field. It also can split screen the address list (which, btw, can be color coded to match the color codes of your appts and todos...) with either the datebook or the datebook + todo or just todo....

There are 2 main differences between DB4 and ActionNames, IMO:

1) Simplicity vs. functionality. AN is pretty simple, DB4 is more functional than any other calendar system I've ever found, electronic or paper, period, end of story, bye bye (although I admit to having relatively little desktop PIM experience, mainly Outlook and Lotus)

2) Philosophies. Db4 is written by the same guy who wrote what became DB+. As such, there is the same basic framework underlying it and the same ways of doing things. There are still floating events, menus seem to flow as I expect them to, and so on. ActionNames, as I recall from my trial, seems geared primarly towards salespeople in its philosophy.

---

The rest are intangibles that matter less and vary between folk. DB4 has phenominal support (esp. in the yahoo group), ActionNames seems to have an equally rabid following... I'd be curious to hear why AN people like it so much...

me, I like db4. I was overwhelmed by the feature set at first, but there were little features that I couldn't give up. I registered it fully expecting to use only half of the functionality, but after awhlie I find I'm using all of it (or damn close), and loving it.
    me, I like db4. I was overwhelmed by the feature set at first, but there were little features that I couldn't give up. I registered it fully expecting to use only half of the functionality, but after awhlie I find I'm using all of it (or damn close), and loving it.
    Same here. My caution for Datebk4 is that it is the one application where you really should read the manual before using it -- mostly to figure out what you want to use, and what you don't want to use.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the feedback guys (n gals)! I'm constantly impressed with the community here and how helpful everyone is.

I'm giving ActionNames and DteBk4 a 2 week trial each and then I'll make my decision. I'll let you know!

Originally posted by MikeBainbridge
    I'll let you know!
    Please do.. I'm curious to hear how a first time AN user sees versin 5.0 stacking up against db4...

Please do.. I'm curious to hear how a first time AN user sees versin 5.0 stacking up against db4...
    Me too. I looked over Action Names 5.0's web page, and it does look nice -- definitely comparable to Datebk4. I'll be interested to hear the results of your comparison.

I wouldn't change myself, because Datebk4 works perfectly for me (and any support problems I've had with Datebk4 have been extremely well handled.) But it may just be two very good products competing with one another.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."