1.    #1  
    My partner uses his palm to carry the names & addresses of members of an organization. The membership is rapidly approaching and will soon exceed the 10,000 item limitation of the palm address book. He is looking for a possible solution to this problem for his palm. Alternatively, will a pocket pc have such a limitation? If not , he may have to switch.

Thanks.
    I'm not sure about this, but I think the limitation is available memory and not a fixed number of records. Perhaps someone more intimate with the inner workings of the PalmOS and its standard apps can clarify this further.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I'm not absolutely certain either but I think Mark is right. I don't think they mean that it can only hold 10000 entries but that an 8 Mb device can hold approximately that many.
    Last edited by Jupe; 11/29/2001 at 05:27 PM.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by dougef
    He is looking for a possible solution to this problem for his palm. Alternatively, will a pocket pc have such a limitation? If not , he may have to switch.

Thanks.
    I, like Mark & Jupe, also think this is a memory issue, Perhaps he can check out the Pro, it's got 16MB, by the 10K logic, it should double his capacity.
    I cannot speak specifically about the Address Book application's limitations. However, for the PalmOS in general:
    • No one PalmOS database can have more than 64k records.
    • No one record in a PalmOS database can have more than 64k (less a little overhead) bytes of data.
    Where k is 1024.

Experimenting...

I took a look at my address book database file. I found it to be 48347 bytes with 310 records, so the average is about 156 bytes per record. I looked for a record that was about that size. Then from the Palm Desktop I copied that record to a new Palm Desktop User. I then kept doing a ^A (select all), ^C (Copy) and ^P (Paste) over and over. So I then had 1, 2, 4, 8... records each pass. Then low and behold when I was pasting 8192 records to make it 16384 the desktop gave me an error saying:
    Additional records could not be passed from the clipboard because the maximum number or records has been reached. In order to paste additional records, you must first delete or archive some records and perform a Hot Sync operation.
    I then tried to copy just one record. Same error. So I figured that the Desktop probable does have a 10000 record limit.

But what if the PalmOS device is different?

So, I then set up a network hot sync with POSE. After the sync, I found the POSE thought it had 10374 records. Hmm, odd value.

I then tried to add a record from the Address Book application. It let me.

I then when back to the Palm desktop and tried to copy another record. It let me. Hmm, so the limit might be 10000 unsynced records. So back to the mass copying. Copy all once, let me do it. Tried a second time, failed. Tried to copy just one record, failed. Apparently I did something wrong here, since the result below do not indicate that the first copy worked.

Okay tried to Hot Sync again. Got a error
    Code:
    -- Address Book
       - Could not copy the following record to the Desktop:
           Record Added From Pa, , 
       - Some PC records were not copied to the handheld. Your handheld may be full. To
    correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
         Desktop = 10376, Handheld = 10375
    Address Book synchronization failed
    Hmm, that was the record I added on the Palm. Checking Desktop, does not appear to be there. Checking POSE, record still there. Deleted the record from POSE, but cleared the "Save archive copy on PC" check box. Checked how many records are on POSE, still 10375. Hot Sync'ed again, no error. Checked how many records on POSE, hmm now 10376. Went to the desktop and tried to copy and Paste just one record, failed. So it does appear to have a 10376 record limit.

However this might be a limit to the Palm desktop and not the PalmOS device. Someone else will have to try this experiment with MS Outlook or some other desktop PIM.

Tried to add a record on POSE, succeeded. Tried to Hot Sync, got an error:
    Code:
    -- Address Book
       - Could not copy the following record to the Desktop:
           This is a records ad, , 
       - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or
    you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this
    situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
         Desktop = 10376, Handheld = 10377
    Address Book synchronization failed
    Hmm, so it could be just a Palm Desktop limit. There is that known limit that the desktop can only handle dates after 1970 where as the PalmOS devices can handles dates back to 1904.
    I keep a directory of the 2000 employees at my company on my VPL using Handbase. The master database is maintained by someone else, so I just redownload it monthly. I use the Address Book for my personal addresses. The 2000 entries of 7 fields takes about 300k. It has a nice search feature.
    Bruce Christensen
    South Pasadena, CA
    Last edited by PDAENVY; 11/30/2001 at 03:51 PM.
    Jeff
  8.    #8  
    Sounds like Handibase might be a solution. Can one readily export from MS Access into Handibase? And, other than memory, is there a limitation on the number of records a handibase can have?

Thanks.
    HanDBase has a limitation of 64K records, as previously mentioned by Potter.

It will work with Access, but for a price:
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/odbcdriver.html

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/dataexchange.html

I think once your HanDBase reaches the Visor's limit, it can be read from a memory card, just not edited