View Poll Results: Which do you think is the best Office Suite solution?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Documents to Go Professional 4.001

8 24.24%
  • QuickOffice 5.6.3

12 36.36%
  • Wordsmith 2.01 & TinySheets 4.0

10 30.30%
  • None of the above (Please post your answer in thread if it is not one of the choices above, thanks)

3 9.09%
  1.    #1  
    I know this subject has probably been posted numerous times. I have even commented a couple of times myself in similar threads. I hope I can say that this thread will be different, and maybe even put an end to this age long debate. I have had my Visor for a few months now and pretty much discovered all my must have apps and accessories with the exception of the best office suite. I've tried a couple and have come to the conclusion that there is not one perfect office suite for the Palm OS. So I come to all of you for your help and unbiased, honest opinions & facts. These are my opinions of the apps I have tried.
    WordSmith 2.01 - I downloaded WordSmith about 2 weeks ago and (dare I say it) I didn't really like it. I was a little disappointed with all the talk about WordSmith; I expected a lot more. I couldn't even figure out how to use bullets. Are all these extra features WordSmith suppose to have only accessible through a keyboard...I don't have one. The fonts in WordSmith were very blurry on my Visor Prism and difficult to read. I'm beginning to think that I had a bad download. I will try this app again. Please give me your honest opinion about WordSmith as a word processor. I don't care about its other features, like being a doc reader. Please compare this app as a word processor only to other apps. That's all I'm interested in.

TinySheets 4.0 - I have not really used this spreadsheet program enough to give it a honest review but I have heard great things about it. How does it stack up against the competition?

QuickOffice 5.6.3 - I have recently installed this suite on my Visor and I must say that I really like Quickword. It has the little toolbar that you can make disappear (something like SilverScreens Toolbar) You can even use bullets. Quicksheets didn't work as great though, it didn't display some of the files that I imported from my desktop, but it performs most of my task Just fine. What I really like is that QuickOffice is a complete office suite. I don't have to mitch-match apps. All my office docs are in one place. However, I don't like the process you have to use to import files. I would discuss this but I don't completely understand it.

Documents to Go Professional 4.001 - I have used Docs 2 Go more then any other app I have talked about here. It seems to be the easiest to use, but I can't generate bullets on the handheld for word docs. The app itself does work great. I have done my resume with Word to Go. I haven't really had any problems with Sheets to go, but my wife (who's in the accounting field) says that she can't get all of her formulas to work in it. Like QuickOffice, it pleases me that Docs 2 Go is an all-in-one office suite solution. I can even view slide shows, but that is not a necessity for me.

Well there are my honest unbiased opinions, So somebody please help, before I shell out some money and end up regretting it later. Oh yeah a plus for wordsmith and tinysheets is that they can be ran from my memplug and quick office can be also with an app I found at palmgear called quickstart; Docs 2 Go however, cannot be ran from external memory. I will probably not run any of these from the memplug anyway, being that I will always need them on my visor.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

P.S. Sorry this post was so long, it was not intended to be.
    Originally posted by In Living Color

WordSmith 2.01 - I downloaded WordSmith about 2 weeks ago and (dare I say it) I didn't really like it. I was a little disappointed with all the talk about WordSmith; I expected a lot more. I couldn't even figure out how to use bullets. Are all these extra features WordSmith suppose to have only accessible through a keyboard...I don't have one. The fonts in WordSmith were very blurry on my Visor Prism and difficult to read. I'm beginning to think that I had a bad download. I will try this app again. Please give me your honest opinion about WordSmith as a word processor. I don't care about its other features, like being a doc reader. Please compare this app as a word processor only to other apps. That's all I'm interested in.
    It never hurts to ask when you are having trouble To create bullets in Wordsmith, click on the Paragraph format button and click on the list check mark at the bottom. This will bring up an option to have either small bullets or large bullets. Sadly, no numbers.

As far as the hi-res fonts go, you really need a hi-res device for those like a Clie or a Handera. That doesn't prevent you from using the fonts in regular mode or changing to hi-res to check whether the fonts are how you want them to be in your document.

My honest opinion about Wordsmith, I really like it. I also have a Stowaway keyboard and this litterally the only program I use with it. The level of intergration is amazing. however, Wordsmith is still easy to use. The only thing I don't like about it is the size but I guess when a program is so integral to the way I use my Visor, maybe it doesn't matter. All the other programs you mentioned have something in them that it is missing that Wordsmith has that make me chose not to use them.

BTW, the same people who made Wordsmith are also creating a companion Spreadsheet program that promises to be just as good.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
  3.    #3  
    Hey,
    Thanks a lot for the info. You've actually compelled me to try wordsmith again. I was hoping that others would post their opinions here, but I guess the post was either to long or to repetative. When blue nomad comes out with the spread sheet app I guess it too will be an all in one office suite. I think that Wordsmith working with your keyboard is great, but as for myself, I think I'd start lugging my laptop around again before I bought keyboard. Well actually, I take that back. The sense board "keyless, boardless" keyboard lookes kinda intriguing.
    Well like I said, than...........oops I almost forgot. You had said something about needing a hi res device for hi res fonts. Does handspring not have any hi res devices? I have a visor Prism... that kinda dissappoints me
    Well anyway, thanks for all the info.
    Originally posted by In Living Color
    Hey,
    Thanks a lot for the info. You've actually compelled me to try wordsmith again. I was hoping that others would post their opinions here, but I guess the post was either to long or to repetative. When blue nomad comes out with the spread sheet app I guess it too will be an all in one office suite. I think that Wordsmith working with your keyboard is great, but as for myself, I think I'd start lugging my laptop around again before I bought keyboard. Well actually, I take that back. The sense board "keyless, boardless" keyboard lookes kinda intriguing.
    Well like I said, than...........oops I almost forgot. You had said something about needing a hi res device for hi res fonts. Does handspring not have any hi res devices? I have a visor Prism... that kinda dissappoints me
    Well anyway, thanks for all the info.
    About the keyboard, it just put it in my backpack. Despite its fold up form-factor it is still too big to keep in my pocket, even though the pocket I have are quite roomy This is still great for taking notes and writing papers. There are not many situation where I have to write long items on my Visor outside of school or home so a keyboard is not necessary. Be warned about keyboards, they take a lot of battery power. That is perhaps the biggest reason I don't use my Stowaway that often.

Handspring does not make a hi-res device. Only Sony and Handera do. I also doubt they will until after OS5 comes out. the processor currently used on Palm OS PDAs, a 33 MHz Dragonball, doesn't have the umph to support high screen resolutions. Sony and Handera (?) use an extra chip to boost the performance enough to have hi-res screens. Right now I don't need the high resolution.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I agree with volcanopele about Wordsmith. I've used it for months now and find that is the closest I have come to MS Word for my Prism. I also use the Stowaway and have the equivalent of a laptop. For spreadsheets I use Quicksheet and find that the combination of these two are the best I have found.

If Blue Nomad comes out with a spreadsheet program I will definately try it.
    Jonathan
    WordSmith (Using the 2.1 beta, with spell checker, memory card access, etc.... very nice), MiniCalc for spreadsheet - ILK, your wife may like this one - also supports memory card use, ThinkDB (will do a lot more than most people use it for. This program alone has taken over the function of several other seperate programs I had). Now if I could just get a decent program for powerpoint presentations....
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Ichthus, how did you get the 2.1 beta? I'm a registered 2.0 user; can I get it too, or are you priviledged ? They said it'd be out "late November." I guess that gives them one more day .

Also, where can I get more info on this Bluenomad spreadsheet? I didn't see anything on their web site. I was considering Quicksheet, but if there's a Bluenomad one coming, I might wait.
    Can WordSmith read .RTF or .HTM files directly, or do they have to be converted to DOC files first? I'm asking because my MemPlug should be here today, and I'd like to copy stuff from my work computer to a CF card, then use them on my Edge. If not, what kind of converter would I need? Is there a PalmOS based solution? I'd like to get this settled soon, since I'll be w/o a desktop computer on a regular basis after the first of the year.

Thanks,
    xxx,
    Jenny
  9.    #9  
    how did you get the 2.1 beta? I'm a registered 2.0 user; can I get it too, or are you priviledged ?
    I don't know about the 2.1 Beta but wordsmith 2.1 is at palmgear. There was no mention of it being a beta version though.

I too would like to know where to find info about blue nomad's plans for spreadsheets.

Can WordSmith read .RTF or .HTM files directly, or do they have to be converted to DOC files first? I'm asking because my MemPlug should be here today, and I'd like to copy stuff from my work computer to a CF card, then use them on my Edge
    Unless I'm mistaken, wordsmith doesn't work 100% with the memplug yet. You can have wordsmith on the card but all your files have to be on internal memory. Well I know they at least have to if you plan on editing them.
    Originally posted by JennyKitten
    Can WordSmith read .RTF or .HTM files directly, or do they have to be converted to DOC files first? I'm asking because my MemPlug should be here today, and I'd like to copy stuff from my work computer to a CF card, then use them on my Edge. If not, what kind of converter would I need? Is there a PalmOS based solution? I'd like to get this settled soon, since I'll be w/o a desktop computer on a regular basis after the first of the year.

Thanks,
    Wordsmith uses its own converter to create files for you palm. You can't save RTF files directly to your CF card. However, you can put the converted files on to the external card and edit them either through Wordsmith's VFS support or using Launcher III.

Jason
    PalmGear has version 2.01 of WordSmith, not 2.1. I would assume that anyone who has 2.1Beta is a Beta Tester for BlueNomad.

As for WordSmith reading .RTF files directly, I do not think this is possible. WordSmith takes a Word Document and uses its own converter to create an .RTF version that WordSmith can use.

I believe all documents must go through the conversion before WordSmith can see them.

Of course, WordSmith can also view and edit Palm DOC files as well, but those are in .prc format.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by valodya
    Also, where can I get more info on this Bluenomad spreadsheet? I didn't see anything on their web site. I was considering Quicksheet, but if there's a Bluenomad one coming, I might wait.
    Check in the WordSmith group at http://groups.yahoo.com/ for info
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    I think volcanopele's given you some excellent advice; let me throw in my $0.02 with some background. I love WordSmith (particularly with a Stowaway keyboard), but I also used QuickWord (bought QuickOffice) before switching to WordSmith.

The version of QuickWord I used had a nasty habit of co-opting any plain old DOC files as its own, and wasn't particularly easy for me to grok. Not a terrible program -- just wasn't great. Tech Support, the time I used it, didn't shine.

WordSmith, when it came along, blew me away -- just exactly what I was looking for. It has gotten better and better (can't wait to get a high-res device to try the high-res fonts with), and I now all of my important documents around with me in WordSmith format. Note: Documents that I leave in WordSmith format, I save as .RTF files on the PC. Sounds as if most people are OK with letting the WordSmith conduit convert documents to and from native MS Word format; I've avoided it, mainly due to a distrust of the integrity of the MS Word format. Oh, and Blue Nomad support is fantastic.

I like QuickSheets over the other spreadsheet programs I've used (MiniCalc, TinySheets), but just barely, and mostly due to the QuickSheets user interface, which I find very intuitive. However, if Blue Nomad is coming out with a spreadsheet program, I'd wait and take a glance at that first.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by volcanopele

As far as the hi-res fonts go, you really need a hi-res device for those like a Clie or a Handera. That doesn't prevent you from using the fonts in regular mode or changing to hi-res to check whether the fonts are how you want them to be in your document.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but while WordSmith looks terrific on a high-res device (particularly a high-res color device), doesn't the FineType technology allow it to look great on any color PDA, like the m505 or the Prism?

I remember the original release of WordSmith 2.0 basically played up how good it looked on a standard color Palm PDA. When the Clies came out with high-res color, WordSmith looked even better; but still head-and-shoulders above average on any color Palm PDA.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."