1.    #1  
    Firstly, my apologies if this has been covered.

I have 2 680's and am in need of somehow merging the data between them. The one 680 is in current use but has a bad charging port whereas the other 680 I have that I want to use has not been hotsynced in 9-ish months and has old data on it.

How would I be able to merge the 2 680's together so that I have no data loss so that both of them have the same data/programs/info?

Appreciate any help with this...
  2.    #2  
    ...any ideas, anyone?
    Off the top of my head you could try beaming stuff between them. That will help with programs and memos. It may not be a great solution for contacts.

I assume the phones have different names for hot syncing. So hot sync the one with the old data and then start beaming.
  4.    #4  
    No, unfortunately. Both the same name. I baka'd on that one when the 2nd 680 went into commission.

So to beam between them, run it as an IR Hotsync? As for contacts, I have basically the same on both phones so that's a relief. LOL.

Thanks for the reply, further elaboration is appreciated.
    Couldn't you sync them both, setting the conduits to "handheld overrides desktop" so that nothing gets written TO the 680, but everything gets written to the desktop. Then when you're done, sync the newer one using "desktop overrides handheld."

That would work, no?
    Time is money, and life is change.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    Couldn't you sync them both, setting the conduits to "handheld overrides desktop" so that nothing gets written TO the 680, but everything gets written to the desktop. Then when you're done, sync the newer one using "desktop overrides handheld."

That would work, no?
    Well... wouldn't info from one 680 overwrite data from the other when syncing to the computer?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post

That would work, no?
    Still awaiting an answer as the last thing I want to do is overwrite data! Wanting to know if I set the conduits on both 680's to "handheld overrides desktop" will it overwrite each other as they both have the same device name...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmijam07 View Post
    Still awaiting an answer as the last thing I want to do is overwrite data! Wanting to know if I set the conduits on both 680's to "handheld overrides desktop" will it overwrite each other as they both have the same device name...
    Sorry -- I didn't notice that you'd asked another question.

I think you're correct, though -- the second phone WILL overwrite the data from the first phone, so my idea is void.

I think the idea about beaming, though, is a good one. At least you can get contacts, memos, to do, etc. from each phone on to the other one.
    Time is money, and life is change.
    yeah, but you're on the right track.

take phone 1 and dump to computer like you said, then with phone 2, "merge" the data between the computer and phone two!

You most likely will end up with some duplicates, but your data will be all in one place!
    merging data via hotsync is gonna be tricky, since you have the same hotsync name on both phones. you might get dupes or lose data if you sync both treos to the computer. the best you can do is to transfer the data from one phone to the other via IR/bluetooth.

you'll need to establish one of the treos as your primary phone (phone 1) and the other as secondary (phone 2), then beam/bluetooth the data from phone 2 to phone 1. once you have all the data you need on Phone 1, then do a hotsync to backup on your computer.

my advise then would be to change the name on the second treo so that the data on both phones won't overwrite each other.

however, if want to keep the same data on both phones, the trick here is to change the conduit settings on the hotsync manager. during hotsync, make sure that you change the hotsync conduits to DESKTOP OVERWRITES HANDHELD, whenever you sync PHONE 2, since it's secondary and will only hold a copy of your data. for your primary phone, you can change the sync conduits as you see fit.

this should work even if you keep the same username for both phones, or use different usernames. just make sure to choose DESKTOP OVERWRITES HANDHELD when syncing PHONE 2.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I think beaming is a the best solution. One tool that may help is BeamPro. It will allow you to beam across whole categories of data in one beam session. Just a thought.