1.    #1  
    How long will a new (unused) battery remain good? I'm not asking how long it may stay charged. Instead, if I buy a new battery now, will it still be any good when I first go to use it (for example) ten years from now?

PalmOS based smartphones are a wonderful match for my needs. However, the industry seems to be moving toward features I don't need (ie the iPhone and Palm Pre) - and the PalmOS phone family has reached the end of its life. Therefore, I'm thinking of committing to a Treo 755p as my phone for the next ten (or more) years.

I foresee the time when decent batteries are no longer available. So, if I were to buy a stack of them today, would some of them still be good ten years from now?
    Wow! I love my 755p and I am also committed - but 10 years is a long time - maybe in 5 years there will be a pda/phone that will be a better system for you, at least I am hoping so for me.

So if you think 5 years out, I don't think you have to worry about batteries, because I am sure you can find equivalents.

IMHO, I don't think you have to worry if you can live in a 5 year window - 10 year window. I don't know, I lot can happen in 10 years.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    Wow! I love my 755p and I am also committed - but 10 years is a long time - maybe in 5 years there will be a pda/phone that will be a better system for you, at least I am hoping so for me.
    I've had a Treo 600 almost five years now. It still feels like I "just got it". And it looks that way too. I could easily see myself having used it another five years, except the original battery finally isn't holding a full charge. Because of the lack of new OEM batteries for the 600, I've decided to upgrade to the 755p. I don't want to be caught in the same battery situation a few years from now!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    How long will a new (unused) battery remain good? I'm not asking how long it may stay charged. Instead, if I buy a new battery now, will it still be any good when I first go to use it (for example) ten years from now?

PalmOS based smartphones are a wonderful match for my needs. However, the industry seems to be moving toward features I don't need (ie the iPhone and Palm Pre) - and the PalmOS phone family has reached the end of its life. Therefore, I'm thinking of committing to a Treo 755p as my phone for the next ten (or more) years.

I foresee the time when decent batteries are no longer available. So, if I were to buy a stack of them today, would some of them still be good ten years from now?
    The 755p like most new electronic devices uses L-Ion batteries. L-Ion batteries have a life of 3 years from the date of manufacture if used or not.
    If you do a Goggle search on L-Ion batteries you can read how they work.

Another thing is that L-Ion batteries like to be at full charge most of the time. If you discharge a L-Ion battery below 20% over and over you will shorthen the 3 year life even further.

With this in mind when you purchase a replacemnet battery in the future for older devices try a get a date code from the battery to see were you are in its 3 year life.

Rich
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    L-Ion batteries have a life of 3 years from the date of manufacture if used or not.
    Thank you! This is what I was wanting to know. (And I found more detailed information on WikiPedia.)
    Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    I've had a Treo 600 almost five years now. It still feels like I "just got it". And it looks that way too. I could easily see myself having used it another five years, except the original battery finally isn't holding a full charge. Because of the lack of new OEM batteries for the 600, I've decided to upgrade to the 755p. I don't want to be caught in the same battery situation a few years from now!
    I just got a Treo 600 OEM battery for $5.39 plus tax from an Ebay seller in Chatsworth, CA. I currently have an HP 910c Ipaq and an Iphone but I surely still miss the Palm Os applications I have in my Treo. I got it fully charged and so far the charge is holding.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dboone98 View Post
    I just got a Treo 600 OEM battery for $5.39 plus tax from an Ebay seller in Chatsworth, CA.
    Same here! It'll be a while before I find out how well it works. I'm not sure what the future holds for my 600: Backup phone to a 755p? Travel phone? Non-phone PDA?
  8. ALW
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    With this in mind when you purchase a replacemnet battery in the future for older devices try a get a date code from the battery to see were you are in its 3 year life.

Rich
    Is the date code something like this - DC080912 and if so, What does it mean?
    That means it's 'expiration' date is August 9th, 2012.
  10. ALW
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    That means it's 'expiration' date is August 9th, 2012.
    Is that the date they should not sell it past?

What does it mean?

I would think there would be a manufactured date on there?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ALW View Post
    Is the date code something like this - DC080912 and if so, What does it mean?
    From looking at multiple batteries, the format seems to be DCyymmdd. This is probably the manufacturing date.
    I'll reawaken this thread to add a data point.

Someone on a carrier forum was wondering about the shelf life of a Pixi battery. Rather than join in the speculation, I decided to measure. The Pixi battery is shared with the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre2. So I pulled out a Pre Plus I've been saving. I searched my stash for a barely used battery with a date code of 100522. The battery was made back in May 2010. I'm guessing it may have had some shallow discharges but was never placed into service (I use a Pre 3). Battery stored at room temp in Northern California, from 58 to maybe 90 degrees in summer. Dr. Battery read 100% capacity from the fuel gauge since no aging was applied without use.

I ran a Dr. Battery calibration cycle to see how much charge the battery could hold and got.........91%
    Not bad for 4 years on the shelf.