Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    How long will a new (unused) battery remain good? I'm not asking how long it may stay charged. Instead, if I buy a new battery now, will it still be any good when I first go to use it (for example) ten years from now?

    PalmOS based smartphones are a wonderful match for my needs. However, the industry seems to be moving toward features I don't need (ie the iPhone and Palm Pre) - and the PalmOS phone family has reached the end of its life. Therefore, I'm thinking of committing to a Treo 755p as my phone for the next ten (or more) years.

    I foresee the time when decent batteries are no longer available. So, if I were to buy a stack of them today, would some of them still be good ten years from now?
  2. #2  
    Wow! I love my 755p and I am also committed - but 10 years is a long time - maybe in 5 years there will be a pda/phone that will be a better system for you, at least I am hoping so for me.

    So if you think 5 years out, I don't think you have to worry about batteries, because I am sure you can find equivalents.

    IMHO, I don't think you have to worry if you can live in a 5 year window - 10 year window. I don't know, I lot can happen in 10 years.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

    Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    Wow! I love my 755p and I am also committed - but 10 years is a long time - maybe in 5 years there will be a pda/phone that will be a better system for you, at least I am hoping so for me.
    I've had a Treo 600 almost five years now. It still feels like I "just got it". And it looks that way too. I could easily see myself having used it another five years, except the original battery finally isn't holding a full charge. Because of the lack of new OEM batteries for the 600, I've decided to upgrade to the 755p. I don't want to be caught in the same battery situation a few years from now!
  4. relgin's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    How long will a new (unused) battery remain good? I'm not asking how long it may stay charged. Instead, if I buy a new battery now, will it still be any good when I first go to use it (for example) ten years from now?

    PalmOS based smartphones are a wonderful match for my needs. However, the industry seems to be moving toward features I don't need (ie the iPhone and Palm Pre) - and the PalmOS phone family has reached the end of its life. Therefore, I'm thinking of committing to a Treo 755p as my phone for the next ten (or more) years.

    I foresee the time when decent batteries are no longer available. So, if I were to buy a stack of them today, would some of them still be good ten years from now?
    The 755p like most new electronic devices uses L-Ion batteries. L-Ion batteries have a life of 3 years from the date of manufacture if used or not.
    If you do a Goggle search on L-Ion batteries you can read how they work.

    Another thing is that L-Ion batteries like to be at full charge most of the time. If you discharge a L-Ion battery below 20% over and over you will shorthen the 3 year life even further.

    With this in mind when you purchase a replacemnet battery in the future for older devices try a get a date code from the battery to see were you are in its 3 year life.

    Rich
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    L-Ion batteries have a life of 3 years from the date of manufacture if used or not.
    Thank you! This is what I was wanting to know. (And I found more detailed information on WikiPedia.)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    I've had a Treo 600 almost five years now. It still feels like I "just got it". And it looks that way too. I could easily see myself having used it another five years, except the original battery finally isn't holding a full charge. Because of the lack of new OEM batteries for the 600, I've decided to upgrade to the 755p. I don't want to be caught in the same battery situation a few years from now!
    I just got a Treo 600 OEM battery for $5.39 plus tax from an Ebay seller in Chatsworth, CA. I currently have an HP 910c Ipaq and an Iphone but I surely still miss the Palm Os applications I have in my Treo. I got it fully charged and so far the charge is holding.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dboone98 View Post
    I just got a Treo 600 OEM battery for $5.39 plus tax from an Ebay seller in Chatsworth, CA.
    Same here! It'll be a while before I find out how well it works. I'm not sure what the future holds for my 600: Backup phone to a 755p? Travel phone? Non-phone PDA?
  8. ALW
    ALW is offline
    ALW's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    With this in mind when you purchase a replacemnet battery in the future for older devices try a get a date code from the battery to see were you are in its 3 year life.

    Rich
    Is the date code something like this - DC080912 and if so, What does it mean?
  9. #9  
    That means it's 'expiration' date is August 9th, 2012.
  10. ALW
    ALW is offline
    ALW's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    That means it's 'expiration' date is August 9th, 2012.
    Is that the date they should not sell it past?

    What does it mean?

    I would think there would be a manufactured date on there?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ALW View Post
    Is the date code something like this - DC080912 and if so, What does it mean?
    From looking at multiple batteries, the format seems to be DCyymmdd. This is probably the manufacturing date.
  12. #12  
    I'll reawaken this thread to add a data point.

    Someone on a carrier forum was wondering about the shelf life of a Pixi battery. Rather than join in the speculation, I decided to measure. The Pixi battery is shared with the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre2. So I pulled out a Pre Plus I've been saving. I searched my stash for a barely used battery with a date code of 100522. The battery was made back in May 2010. I'm guessing it may have had some shallow discharges but was never placed into service (I use a Pre 3). Battery stored at room temp in Northern California, from 58 to maybe 90 degrees in summer. Dr. Battery read 100% capacity from the fuel gauge since no aging was applied without use.

    I ran a Dr. Battery calibration cycle to see how much charge the battery could hold and got.........91%
    Not bad for 4 years on the shelf.

Posting Permissions