1.    #1  
    With new demands in all areas of my life, I'm finding that how I use Datebook4 doesn't seem to keep everything under control like my Franklin Planner did (though, I'll never go back).

For those that have used/are using Franklin-Quests Palm applications...
    - Is it set up basically the same as the standard datebook function?
    - Does it have a true Daily Record of Events page and how does that work?
    - I see the priorities show up as Franklin's A1, B2, C4 format. How many task numbers will it let you use (i.e. A7?, B10?, etc.)?
    - Are there separate screens for the Weekly Compass, Long-Range Goals, Mission Statement, and Governing Values?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    HRdude

"There's no birthday party for me here!"
    Originally posted by HRdude
    For those that have used/are using Franklin-Quests Palm applications...
    i've never heard of this. do you have a link to their site or where the software can be demo'd?

thanks,

mc
    One can download a 30-demo version of the Franklin Planner Desktop Software from:
    http://www.franklincovey.com/custome...es/fpsdemo.exe
    Please Note: This will do a full re-installation of Palm Hot Sync software in a different location. You thus may have to reinstall other applications that have conduits after installing this. Also, the version of the Hot Sync manager installed does not support USB. So after installing this you will then have to install the Hot Sync manager from Handspring over top of it.

Then after the 30 days have passed, one will then have to deinstall the FP desktop and reinstall your normal desktop software, and other software that uses conduits.

If all one wants to do it review the PalmOS, then if you can, it might be prudent to install this software of a different box, and then copy the PRC files before deinstalling it.
    Potter, thanks for this! I bought a Neo from Franklin Covey last night and I didn't know that I had to reinstall the Hot-Sync manager because it doesn't support USB. *grin* This may be the root of all the problems I'm having with Hot-Syncing. I'll go and delete EVERYTHING off the laptop and reinstall the Palm Desktop and the Franklin Covey software and then the Hot-Sync manager. (How do I do that from the Handspring CD?) *grin* I'm very new to this, so I hope you'll be able to hold my hand through this.

Dana
    Hmm, let me think ... Franklin Planner software version 7.1 (which this demo is) did not support the USB. I would think version of the Franklin Planner software that comes with a Visor that Franklin Covey sells would support USB. Checking their Updates and Patches page, version 7.5.6 does support USB. I do not know at what version USB support was added.

Checking your other posts ... 1 2 3 4

Okay, since this is your first PalmOS device ... If you are planning on using the Franklin Planner software as your desktop PIM, then I would suggest uninstalling everything from your desktop (All the extra software that added conduits to the Hot Sync Manager, the Franklin Planner software, and the Palm Desktop). Then reinstall just the Franklin Planner software, either the version that came with your Neo or the version off of the Updates page. The update will ask for the CD that came with you Neo as proof of ownership. Then experiment for a few days before installing anything else. If this does not work, give Franklin Covey's Customer support a call. They are usually quite responsive.
    Okay, I had to uninstall everything anyway, and reinstall Windows due to a Virus... so, don't use anything on the Handspring CD? Or when installing things off the Handspring CD, tell it I'm using something else as a PIM? *grin*

Dana
    HRDude,

**WARNING** Biased plug, but thought you might want to look:

Does it have a true Daily Record of Events page and how does that work?
    You may want to take a look at our DayNotez software. It's intent is "emulate" the DRE feature of paper planners. Compare it to what comes with the Franklin Software if you get a chance. We feel we've done a pretty good job at replacing it.

...free 30-day trial at http://www.natara.com/DayNotez

We have a very large number of paper planner converts using this product

It does not integrate with the FC desktop software though.

Just thought you would be interested....
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Thank you. I will try it. I'm having a problem installing the Franklin Planner software. However, it's going to have to be really good for me to buy it, as the Franklin Planner software was free, and I've used the paper based Franklin Planner system for years. *grin* Just fair warning.

Dana
  9.    #9  
    bnystrom,

**WARNING** Biased plug, but thought you might want to look:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does it have a true Daily Record of Events page and how does that work?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I downloaded your trial software before I started this thread. I liked what I saw on your site, but couldn't get the program to load. Not sure what the problem was. I'll check it out when I get home again and e-mail you with my problem. Like I said, I thought your software would work well, so if I load it, chances are I'll by it.

Will it work with DateBook4?

Thanks!
    HRdude

HRDude,

Yes, please, if you are having difficulties drop us an email at support@natara.com or call us at (630) 579-0958 so we can get your DayNotez setup working.

In regards to DateBk4.... We really don't have anything specific to DB4 since we generally work with the built in data base files, etc. Since DB4 also works with those, they do work well together. DB4 also has the ability to launch DayNotez to a particular day. There should be an example in the DB4 docs for that (probably even an example using DayNotez). We did work with the DB4 author on that feature for a while when he was developing it.

We also have a DB4 import tool which will scan your DB4 journal entries and import them directly into DayNotez. (That tool also works with ActionNames Journal items).

Also (back on topic a bit more), there is a Yahoo egroup that is specifc to Franklin-Covey and Palm users. It really doesn't get much traffic anymore though. You may want to at least scan through existing messages.

Overall, we've seen a larger move of people toward David Allan's "Getting Things Done". There is also quite a large following of GTD Palm users in another Yahoo egroup. Those folks tend to use tools like LifeBalance, DB4, ActionNames, Bonsai, and Shadow Plan as their way of organizing their life. The book is quite interesting if you haven't read it. (I'm an "ex-Covey / Franklin Planner" convert myself....hence the DayNotez product).
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
  11.    #11  
    bnystrom-

Tried to install the Zip file again, but keep getting an error message: "An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified." Obviously the problem's with my desktop, but I'm not sure what.

HRdude
    HRdude

HRdude

I use the Franklin-Quest "Visor" version - yes there is a difference. They have a visor specific package that loads the pda software onto you machine (for those of us that went visor when all they offered was the PALM Franklin).

Let me see if I remember all your questions (yes I know I could just scroll down, but that would require thinking).

First off before I'd recommend this software to anyone you need to evaluate your usage.
    Do you use the desktop software a lot (if so than it's probably worth the switch)? While all of the desktop functions are available on the palm it's not as clean as the desktop.

Your can do A1 - A99, B1-B99, C1-C99

Yes it does have all the features on the handheld. Roles, Mission Statement, Values, Daily Record of Events. Everything works like it would in your paper planner. I use the paper version from 1987 - 2000. I used to teach the Franklin class at my work.

A few things I like better about Datebook 4 then FC.
    1. Icons - I actually used the Icons in Datebook 4 to be able to visually manage my schedule. I had different Icons for my different roles. FC doesn't support Icons (but it also doesn't but the gobbledygook into your note field the way Datebook 4 does)
    2. Color - I have a Prism - not sure what you're running. The colors were also very helpful. I'd use those for visual management also. The FC does not support color on the palm, but it does on the desktop.
    3. Phone - I'm not sure why but when I switched the phone numbers over it dropped the last 2 digits on many of my contacts.

Why did I get the FC software then. I purchased it at the FC store in our mall when it first came out. They had it priced wrong. It was supposed to be $138 and it came up on the computer as $38 so the manager gave it to me for that. Plus my 20% corporate discount. I just couldn't pass up that deal!

I actually still miss the planner. I think it's just the process of writing things that I miss. It gave me time to think about what I was doing. I tend not to take as many notes using graffiti. I guess if I got a keyboard I may take more notes.

Oh a nice thing about the task list is the ability to show percent complete and some other sorting options.

Just my rambling review. Hope it helps!
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
    HRDude,

Yes, it does sound like something with your enviornment.
    I really don't want to turn this thread into a Natara support area, so could you please send an email to support@natara.com with the details of your problem so that we can help you from there. I just don't feel that this is the right place for doing that.

Thanks
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
  14.    #14  
    Installed DayNotez yesterday and am thrilled with it. This is exactly what I was looking for (& half the price of the quirky Franklin software). I love that you're able to create a ToDo from a journal entry and that I can create a new journal entry from the pull-down menu in DateBook4. This has me right on schedule and finally able to duplicate my old Franklin Planner.

I HIGHLY recommend this software to anyone who misses the Daily Record of Events (the right side page) of their Franklin.
    HRdude