1.    #1  
    No, really. I got the T5 torx driver, removed all the obvious screws, removed the one under the stylus and the antenna base as well, and it still seems stuck together. Is this as simple as "remove the big label under the battery" there are more hidden screws there?

I'm trying to open it up, so I can remove the bezel that surrounds the screen /earpiece/upper keys in order to either repair or replace it, because the bezel has a number of cracks in it.

Seems like there's some type of metal tape strip (?) or just a crudded up old seal? surrounding the screen and sticking the bezel to it as well.
    Here's a thread and a YouTube link within the thread that tells you how.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...50-screen.html
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Ronbo. I didn't expect cheapie speed clips when they used all those Torx screws, go figure.

If the carriers weren't all such *hits about phones and features and pakage deals..I'd just say it was time for a new phone.

Treo? Oh, no, they don't make those any more. Pre? Oh, no, that carrier is no use to me. iPhone? Strike three, you can't plug in an external antenna, makes it a bad phone for folks who roam away from towers.

Tins cans and string..... ? <G>
    You plug in an external antenna? Is that home brew one or commercial version? Which one is it?

Glad to be of help.
  5.    #5  
    Wilson makes pigtail adapters that plug right in and hook up to a standard (FME?) car phone antenna cable. I've got an extra adapter fitting in there because my car antenna dates back maybe 12 years and has the older fitting on it.

Folks get big round eyes and take out garlic when they're going "hello? hello?" and you say "Try mine" and it sounds just like a landline. But, when you're in the boonies sometimes it is that simple, an outside antenna buys you 3 extra signal bars.

Some BMWs actually have 2-3 "external" antennas built into the car body for that purpose--but you'd have to buy their own special car cradle adapter to use them. (Kaching! Another reason I won't afford a Beemer.<G>)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
    (Kaching! Another reason I won't afford a Beemer.<G>)
    Yup, me too.
    I've been very interested in doing the same thing, living way out in the desert. In fact, my 650 is my only phone, so it would work well for inside, as our service here is down to about 2 bars most of the time.

I took my treo years ago - to paint it!

Quote Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
    Wilson makes pigtail adapters that plug right in and hook up to a standard (FME?) car phone antenna cable. I've got an extra adapter fitting in there because my car antenna dates back maybe 12 years and has the older fitting on it.

.<G>)
    I wonder if you could post pictures or links to stuff that can be used to extend a phone antenna? I suppose if I was real curious I should go search...
  9.    #9  
    No pictures. Just look online for "cell phone antennas". On some phones like the iPhone there's nothing to be done or added.

On others like the Treo650 you pop out a little rubber cover plug, plug in an antenna cable, and screw that onto an external antenna or magmount antenna. and that's all there is to it.

Same thing as plugging an antenna into a television or CB or anything else. Except, the end on the cell phone is usually a plug, not a screw body. And there are fewer 'standards' so you're best off buying everything from one source at one time andletting them know it all has to fit together.